New Front Wing

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
Wildcat
Favourite Cartridge: 221Fireball

Re: New Front Wing

Post by Wildcat »

Camel - it's a "glue in" bedding job. The barreled action is glued in to the stock, no screws holding them together. The two holes are for access to tap out the pins so the trigger can be removed if/when necessary

I thought there were some rules regarding forend width - or is that only for short range BR ?
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Yep wildcat you are right the holes are to get the trigger out as the rifle is glued in. In regards to the width of the stock, for 1000yd or fly there are no restrictions on width.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Thanks fellas, seems like sometimes you blokes who shoot target all the time are talking in different launguage.
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

G'day Macca

Just saw your question re: offsetting it. On this stock it will just be central which will give me an addition 1.5" width on the left side which is already more than you get out of a straight offset 3" stock. I have thought about doing a 4"-2" offset wing from the stock centre line. This would give you an additional .5" on the righthand side of the rifle and 2.5" on the left over a standard 3" stock though I want to see how this goes first.

Everything I am doing at the moment is working on reducing recoil and torque of the rifle to help with gun handling which brings us to the brake..... but that is another story :wink:
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Well the muzzle brake is now on the LG so thought I would post an update and show some pictures.

jacksaligari
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by jacksaligari »

Hope thats not one off cintheas good sheets there allan,does look good the brake that is
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Nah Jack, it is my carbon fibre cloth :mrgreen:

Just working out how to get my rest finished this week so I can put the wing on the front too before going to the range on Saturday :? :? It seems work is getting in the way of my extracurricular activities again :lol: :lol: :lol:
jacksaligari
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by jacksaligari »

Did a litttle load work today on the 6br in the cooler weather at 500m 31.1gns(3 shots in to 1.116") looked good 31.3gns opened up and the 31.5gns was good it went for 4 shots in to 1" at 500m ,might have a load for narramine worked out,chilly 15degs here today
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Turned out very nice Alan. That splitter looks quite long, how much gap from muzzle to the splitter mouth? Would it be the length of the bullet? Browning claimed 100 fps gain with their short cone so i am thinking you should get that easily.
Will see you up the range on Saturday as i get to play with some tacticool Delta something POS.
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

TZ I have decided to try is with the shorter gap of half bullet length. It has been set up with the gap to be 15mm which will have the bullet about 13mm into the cone before the bullet breaks free of the barrel.
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Another progress update.

Latest pictures of the new front wing fitted up to the rifle and ready for testing this coming weekend. Also sitting on the new windage top that I built to run the 6" foreend.

Oh and thanks to Jack for the secondhand bag :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:

albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

HI All

Well today saw the test run of the new front wing and muzzle brake and all I can say is 8) 8)

The gun is so soft to shoot now that you can well and truly shoot it free recoil due to the muzzle brake. In addition to the reduced recoil the front wing just keeps everything superbly stable. The link below should show you some video of the gun working on the bags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6Rdw1et804
monsoon35
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by monsoon35 »

Very impressive video Alan. For those who don't know that is a 30/06 AI based off the 9.3x62 case firing 175 grain smks at 3000+ fps. Flawless cycling from an Omark action with a roller cam. Wonder who came up with that idea?

Jeffrey.
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

G'day Monsoon

I had a comment made to me yesterday at the range which I am not sure to take as a complement or not but there was reference to the set up as a claytons heavy gun..... :shock: :shock: and that came from the same bloke that helped with the roller extractor so I think it was a complement :lol: :lol: