New Front Wing

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
albow
.257 Roberts

New Front Wing

Post by albow »

Howdy All

As you know most of the shooters up here in Townsville have been experimenting with the rear wing / keel on the LG stocks to help with gun handling and stability. This got a couple of us thinking about the front wings to emulate the HG boys who have the big fancy polished stainless plates. Obviously bigger is better although unfortunately they are way too heavy for LG. So I got busy in the shed and knocked out a 6" wide front wing made of carbon fibre. Weighs in at a massive 4.9oz.

Thought I would throw some piccy's up to show the product reasonably fresh from the mold and no doubt these will be going on a few of the LG's up this way I think :D :D

Now I just have to build that new 6" front rest :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

The carbon rear wing on my LG
APN_1217.jpg
APN_1217.jpg (39.19 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
The new front wing
APN_1218.jpg
(44.45 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
APN_1216.jpg
APN_1216.jpg (39.04 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
What it should look like fitted
IMG_0140.jpg
(35.46 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Re: New Front Wing

Post by JasonF »

Looks great Albow. How will it attach to the stock?
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Post by justjeff »

Looks great Al,

Will we see it this weekend? Next thing we know, you'll be wanting to shoot 100 shots with us.

Jeff
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Jason it will just bolt on with four 1/4 cap screws.

The nuts will glue into the stock then bolt it on with a 1" washer to spread the load to a larger area for each screw. When it was made there are four solid areas where the bolts will go so it is not just the carbon skin of the wing taking the pressure.

Jeff

Yeah I will have it up the range to look at just not fitted to the rifle. This one I actually made for Jack because he has the 6" rest already. Then again I could fit to my rifle and borrow his rest :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

Very Nice Alan, the extra wide front on a LG should make a pretty big difference.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Please excuse my ignorance in just about all things target shooting, but am I correct in the assumption that these "winged keels" are to give you a more stable surface when shooting over a rest. I must have been living inside a drum for the last few years. The amount that I know about this type of shooting you could fit inside the left nostril of a snail. :shock:
jacksaligari
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by jacksaligari »

How about we just get the screw gun out Allan and put a couple off screws in that timber stock off yours and you can use my rest :D
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Post by a.JR »

Hang on Jack , In some circles of 1000yd benchrest those wood screws you talk of could be regarded as an unfair advantage and that id be no good .. JR.. Jeff Rogers ..ps on ya Al for thinkin outside the box..
jacksaligari wrote:How about we just get the screw gun out Allan and put a couple off screws in that timber stock off yours and you can use my rest :D
jacksaligari
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6br

Post by jacksaligari »

Don't worry jr I was going to use gyprock screws,got a few rolling around in the back off the ute
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Hey Jack now we know why you are a plasterer, you can hide things well :mrgreen:

Camel yep you are spot on correct. The winged keel sits on top of the ears of the back bag with the stock between the ears as per the photo below. The keel help make the rifle more stable for bolt open and close and when the rifle torques on firing. I'll try and dig up a photo to show the rifle set up on a bag.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

New Front Wing

Post by Curtley78 »

Interesting. Have you considered a recoil brake...or fin angled that will place downward pressure on the rear of the stock...?
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Here you go Camel

This my rifle set up on the rear bag with the winged keel.
IMG_6488_2.jpg
IMG_6488_2.jpg (33.52 KiB) Viewed 999 times
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Sean the muzzle brake is going on after this weekends matches for October and November. As far as a fin for downward pressure the recoil speed is not fast enough to generate the level of stability I am chasing :lol:

Although for all the bits I am starting to put on I think the barrel will have to be profiled down a bit to give me a chance to make weight.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Sean Ambrose wrote:Interesting. Have you considered a recoil brake...or fin angled that will place downward pressure on the rear of the stock...?
Good onya Sean, thanks, one other question if you dont mind, Whats the two holes in the stock either side of the bolt handle cutout ?? Do you have some other sort of bolt on that goes there ?? I really must get to a range one day and have a look at some of this stuff. Not that Ive ever had the inclinations of Bench shooting comps and stuff, but am curious.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Nice work Alan.
Will be interested to see if it gives you better tracking.
Will you offset it or rely on the original offset in the stock?
cheers