You know what i hate the most about shooting...

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Re: You know what i hate the most about shooting...

Post by Glenn »

Never said it was visible just said that it was not deleted.
Oh ok?

Why would you deny new and existing members access to the wealth of information that the gunsmithing section contained?

Glenn
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Post by andrewk »

Hey Keith. I'd like to see the gunsmithing section back up.
juzz338
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by juzz338 »

Glenn none of my business but asking people to recommend/not recommend a gunsmith on a public forum will only insight an argument for anyone who gives an opinion, especially if it is negative about anyone's buddy. Generally if you are getting good results or spend a lot of money you can get work done quicker. Keith will not be silly enough to tell you why he hid the section.
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

Well if there's a problem with the old section can we start a new amateur smithing section.
Brett33
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 260

Post by Brett33 »

andrewk wrote:Brett, tell me about your machines. I'm looking at investing 10k into a personal workshop.
Hi Andrew,
As I said I am not a smith, and my workshop is very basic and very limited in what I can do.
I have an old German Enetrprise Lathe with a 75mm bore, which is 23" through the head stock, All work is done through the head stock so I can indicate both ends. Thankfully the 75mm dia means I can work on all the gear I am likly to see. However if somebody wants something less then 23" long I have trouble.
Tooling is where the cost is, I run carbide most things and you can get away only a few tools. Then there are all the indicators and measuring tools which I feel are the most important, the Lathe does not need to be perfect (beside the head bearings) the rest you can work out if you can measure it.
I do not have a mill or any other fancy gear, except a good grinder and a very wide selection of drills and reamers.
Brett
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

Cheers Brent,

How did you come into an old lathe like that? Do you rate any of the Chinese machines that have flooded the market?
Glenn
375 Cheytac

Post by Glenn »

juzz338 wrote:Glenn none of my business but asking people to recommend/not recommend a gunsmith on a public forum will only insight an argument for anyone who gives an opinion, especially if it is negative about anyone's buddy. Generally if you are getting good results or spend a lot of money you can get work done quicker. Keith will not be silly enough to tell you why he hid the section.
That is why we have personal messaging!

The gunsmithing section was deleted, sorry, members were denied access when the business section was taken down!

Glenn
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Gunsmiths can be a pain but thank god there are still some about.
To have to rely on certain oz importers to get a botchy factory rifle fixed makes gunsmiths seem like Usain Bolt.
I own factory and customs.
I like my factory rifles but i love my customs.
The things i hate about shooting are,
Shooters that do stupid things and risk my sport and pastime.
Politics involved in shooting whether its sport or forums or government.
Monopolies that cost me money for my goodies that i want.
Shit if i keep writing I'll get depressed and give up the game. :shock:
cheers
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

You know what i hate the most about shooting...

Post by kjd »

Glenn wrote:
Never said it was visible just said that it was not deleted.
Oh ok?

Why would you deny new and existing members access to the wealth of information that the gunsmithing section contained?

Glenn
because I don't have the time to go through and delete all the irrelevant info in there to make the good stuff easy to find.
I really wish you would unbunch your panties and get over it.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

WHY DO YOU NEED TO DO THAT, THERE IS A SEARCH FUNCTION IF ANYONE IS INCLINED TO (sorry didnt mean to shout the caps lock was on) to look. Me, I would prefer to ring him. And yes he does answer
hobbygodz
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 12g

Post by hobbygodz »

What I hate most about shooting...(at the risk of sounding like a whinger :roll: ). Since late last year my local (12 lane) range has been so overrun with large groups of P650 shooters that licenced shooters will at times not get a shot in on the night. They also make the place sound like a rowdy pub with all the non-shooting friends they bring along to watch. It is obvious that most of them of them have no intention of becoming licenced/owning a firearm and the range is being treated as "cheap entertainment". It really has trashed what was a "good thing". Bah Humbug. :evil:
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag

Post by andrewk »

macca wrote:Gunsmiths can be a pain but thank god there are still some about.
To have to rely on certain oz importers to get a botchy factory rifle fixed makes gunsmiths seem like Usain Bolt.
I own factory and customs.
I like my factory rifles but i love my customs.
The things i hate about shooting are,
Shooters that do stupid things and risk my sport and pastime.
Politics involved in shooting whether its sport or forums or government.
Monopolies that cost me money for my goodies that i want.
Shit if i keep writing I'll get depressed and give up the game. :shock:
cheers
Yeah macca you're spot on. now I've gotten over my tardy smith reckless shooters, media, politicians and ignorant general non shooting public get up my nose more. and I've seen plenty of factory guns with nasty problems that end up a gunsmiths job to fix.
Glenn
375 Cheytac

Post by Glenn »

because I don't have the time to go through and delete all the irrelevant info in there to make the good stuff easy to find.

I will do it Keith!
I really wish you would unbunch your panties and get over it.
Could not think of anything intelligent to say Keith?

Glenn
17hmr
.243 Winchester

Post by 17hmr »

The thing I hate most? having mates call me up asking to take them and other mates out for a shoot. doesnt work like that in my books.
Wildcat
Favourite Cartridge: 221Fireball

Post by Wildcat »

This forum, and another couple are partly to blame for me finding out about custom built guns, what is possible, and how to go about getting it. I have used the services of TSE, Shane Clancy, and Jim Kent. All do a great job, I supplied all parts after buying them piece by piece when opportunities arose. Some are quicker than others. Jim Kent is very quick, but I haven't fired the barrel he fitted for me yet - the guy doing the stock work (me) is taking way too long to get around to it !

One thing I do notice about custom rifles is that you don't see any comments from people who have them, saying that they shouldn't have bothered, should have just gone with something off the shelf etc.
I really like that each rifle is exactly how I want it, and that I could put some of my own work into them too. They are much more than just a tool to me. Varmint rifles are like target rifles - accuracy is important. Factory rifles are a lottery as far as accuracy goes, and a lot of people are satisfied with pretty ordinary accuracy. Those who need tight groups/long range headshots to get the most enjoyment out of their shooting have different criteria to judge what is good enough