I never thought this day would come ??!

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
marcopolo
Favourite Cartridge: .223

I never thought this day would come ??!

Post by marcopolo »

Ive been shooting a few spots that have been over shot the last few years. After a few shots with any CF every fuzz tail and red coat runs for the hills.
The idea was to take the 22s out and hit em hard while keeping the noise level down.
The last few months myself and a good mate have been seeing quite a few foxes that will come in to the whistle, but always seem to stop short. Just out of range of the poor 22. i dont like to educate foxes, so if i shoot i like to hit.
so.. i needed something with a little more reach. After waiting for over 6 months for what i thought would be a nice fill between 22 and 223, my 17 Hornet is still at best 4-6 weeks away (if all goes well). Frustrated, I went and did something im not very proud of today.
I... I picked up a 17...HMR... :lol:
i dont even like hmr's!! yet somehow i managed to leave with one in hand!

After washing that dirty feeling off with a nice hot shower, i headed out. I put 15 rounds down range before it was dark, got her sighted in. groups well, as they all seem to.
Head out in the morning and see how the little girl goes on the Fuzzies. :hunting:
fenring

Re: I never thought this day would come ??!

Post by fenring »

Have fun mate. See if you can get it to bounce off a fox. :lol:
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Congratulations marco, you have seen the light. Now go forth and share the enlightenment among the red coated bretheren its a fun little cartridge to shoot. What breed did you get ?
Wildcat
Favourite Cartridge: 221Fireball

Post by Wildcat »

Should tide you over OK - just beware the odd dud round, check your barrel is clear if you fire one that doesn't sound right. A few have got a fright, and some rifle damage when firing a second round with a bullet stuck in the barrel.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

You should find it to be very good on the foxes. I have had great success with mine. Not one foxs has got up from mine. I know others have had different Experiances with this round but I personally can only speak good things about it.

Enjoy your new outfit and all the best.

Flip