CZ vs Tikka

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Bullcat

CZ vs Tikka

Post by Bullcat »

Looking at getting either a 222 or a 223 but not sure whether to get a Tikka T3 lite or a CZ. What would you recomend?
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: CZ vs Tikka

Post by lowndsie »

Both are very nice rifles mate but I've been a Tikka fan for a few years now so that would be my choice. I think I've owned three or four in 223 and a couple more in other calibres and I'm yet to see one that didn't out shoot my more expensive factory rifles.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

CZ vs Tikka

Post by kjd »

I have a tikka in .223 almost sold it for a cz 527 in .223. Why didn't I? I loved them both equally.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

CZ vs Tikka

Post by kjd »

And decided that if they were equals in my eyes why bother switching. Plus I couldn't handle damaging the beautiful laminate stock on the 527.
choppy2925
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 17 Ackley Hornet

Post by choppy2925 »

Both are exceptionally accurate for factory rifles. The main difference would be all metal parts for the cz, and the cz is built on a purpose built action to suit the 223 case, the tikka uses a standard long action for a 30/06 with a bolt stop.

I would guess that the cz would be shorter because of the above also.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I have both. buy the one you like the feel of when you hold it in the shop. Both top choices.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

I got my Tikka T3 about 2 months ago, I am extremely happy with it, the plastic mag was a bit of a concern but has proven to be fine. The plastic components have not phased me as it is the synthetic stock model.

The bolt is very very slick and has very powerful case ejection. which can be a little interesting when shooting from the cab of the ute ( which is what the main use is ). when shooting from the passenger window the cases on a quick reload will often ping of the wind screen or end up on the drivers side or if going out the drivers window get flung out and can be a bugger to find as I like to keep them for reloading. That's being a bit picky so not much of a negative if at all. More the fault of the user

The trigger is also to my liking and was easily adjusted too. My rifle is not in either of the calibers you are looking at but I'm sure that the difference between 204 Ruger and 223 would not be much.

If I was in the same position again I would still go the T3 as it fits the style of shooting well, with the synthetic stock I have got tired of dinging and scratching my nice timber stocks while spotlighting.

That just my experience
I don't own a center fire CZ So can not comment on them, but I have always heard great thing about them and my CZ rimfires are fantastic.
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by CZ550 »

buy the one you like the feel of when you hold it in the shop. Both top choices.
+1

Absolutely agree - have shot both and both are exceptional.

Regards,

CZ550
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Flip, I hate losing brass and I bought too farkin expensive Norma for my 204. i had Clancy adjust the ejector spring so if I want to cycle fast for a quick follow up then the case just clears the action. if I cycle slow, it stays in sitting on top of the rounds in the mag and I just pick it out. Like I said, I hate losing brass!!!
Bullcat

Post by Bullcat »

I have owned a couple of T3`s and I love them for their accuracy. I dont mind the synthetic stock on the T3 as it is practical for what I do. However, I held the cz and it felt good, especially for a timber which I usually find them to be a bit heavier than a synthetic. I also like the metal parts on the cz over the plastic on the T3 (not that the plastic ever let me down on my previous T3`s). Price difference is only $100 difference, the cz being the dearer one. So maybe for something a little different to what I`ve had, I`m leaning more towrds the cz.
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

Don't recon you can go wrong honestly, If i feels good shoot it. Either way both are great rifles.
Haven't personally seen a thread here where some one has regretted getting either.

Cheers, Trevort, I was unaware that the ejector was adjustable ( by some one who knows what they are doing of course), I will look into getting it done to mine. It was a bit of a surprise how far it can chuck brass even when being careful as my Sako has the fixed claw that you can control, to the point that it just lifts the front of the case up to grab.
Also I'm looking to get one of those metal detector wands for those times when I can't spot the blasted things. funny how with a spotlight you can always see empty rimfire cases no one cares about. but you try and spot a case 5 times the size and worth at least a buck. Got me buggered. I hate Murphy!

One other thing I notice while at the range last time was that the way the ejector on the T3 works with the empty brass ejecting so early in the cycle. It makes it rather easy to short cycle the bolt, by not bringing it far enough back to pick up the next round. it just takes a little time to get used to.
Again not a fault with the rifle just the bloke using it.

Flip
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Bullcat wrote:Price difference is only $100 difference, the cz being the dearer one. So maybe for something a little different to what I`ve had, I`m leaning more towrds the cz.
Then factor in that a wooden stock (assuming its not laminate) that gets wet will possibly swell and alter the point of impact requiring a bedding / float job for another $150+ if you can't do it yourself.

If the T3 Lite in synthetic trim is ergonomically right for you, and is ready to go out of the box. It's then probably the better rifle.
Cheers...
Con
BruceHornet
Favourite Cartridge: MANY

Post by BruceHornet »

the 527 has a set trigger i also have both and love them but the cz is sexy cz hornet tikka 270