Mixed cases...your opinion

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Andries
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Mixed cases...your opinion

Post by Andries »

I'm talking HUNTING here..

What difference is loading cases of different brands have on results ?

Is it gospel that you only have 'matched' cases ?

Can you mix'n'match with the same/similar result ?
andrewk
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 222rem

Re: Mixed cases...your opinion

Post by andrewk »

Should you do it? Heck no!

What could be a safe load in one case might be catastrophic in another. keep brands and even batches together and never mix and match.

some time ago i was given 40 fired hornady 204 cases, i bought another 50 hornady cases and a loaded pack of twenty to make up the hundred. the new cases weighed over 10 grains less than the fired brass and the loaded ammo ended up heavier. About 15 grains over 3 batches of the same stuff.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

I wouldnt. I like to KNOW that when I miss its my fault and not some variation in ammo or equipment. I just wouldnt enjoy shooting with variables.

I have 2 rifles with batches of different bras, but they are batched! One shoots the same with the same load, another has .3 of a grain (17.1gn is my top load) difference in loads for same POA.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

How about you just test it? if you have 2 or 3 brands you could do a ladder test with each brand shot together then compare if there is much difference in one of the accuracy nodes. Might find they shoot close enough to use, depends on what your shooting etc. I have shot different cases in my 6.5x55 but this is at mild loads. Was plenty accurate for foxes. IF your careful and do some testing might find no issue.

Ryan
Sneaky
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Sneaky »

Mate I weighed some 222 cases of different brands and found up to 10 grains difference in weight, that's in a case that weights in around 95 grains, so more then 10% difference.

To me a 10% difference in capacity translates into big differences downrange.
And that is why I switched to Lapua brass, 0.2 of a grain weight difference across 200 new brass, worth every cent. :rifle:
Flip
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 VT

Post by Flip »

Im with every one here.

I really only hunt with my reloads too. Im certainly not a BR shooter
I've no't been reloading that long but after all the advice on this forum and reading the reloading manuals, I have my reloads split into batches of the same make of brass they stay together till the brass is done or lost. they have all been fired the same number of times, with the same loads. so the brass should be in the same condition also it is all ex factory stuff that has had a load worked up in each different brand.
As most of you do I keep them in their own MTM typs cases. Ive lost more cases out in the field than I have to ware and tare.
I reload for a couple of the more finicky cartridges where 1/2 a grain can case a large rise in pressure I took heed of all the warnings from people with a lot more experience than I.

I think its just good safety practice to try and reduce the possibility a inconsistency that could cause a dangerous situation.
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Post by CZ550 »

Agree with everyone here also!

Used to mix and match a lot (Remington, PMC, Winchester) and was happy enough with the results when I only got out once or twice a year....

However, since I have been doing a lot more shooting during the year and reading on this site, I have found that sticking to the same brand of brass is definately the way to go in terms of consistency and accuracy. I have never bothered with sorting them by weight, perhaps it would be beneficial if I did! When you get out more often, you get pissed off when you miss - hence the reading on this site, looking for ways to improve the accuracy!

Regards,

CZ550