Gamo CFX 177 groups - GTR4G upgrade

palla
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22WMR

Gamo CFX 177 groups - GTR4G upgrade

Post by palla »

I am in the process of upgrading the trigger in my Gamo CFX 177. I have ordered it from the USA & waiting for it to arrive, so while I am waiting I thought I might try some different pellets to do some before & after measurements. I am trying the artilary hold in the bench rest position. Distance is 15 yards measured with my range finder, as it the area I have to work in. I am using a coffee tin filled with sand as a pellet trap with a concrete slab as a back drop.

Pellets used, there were 4 different kinds & weights, all weighed on my powder scale as they are not marked on the tins.

Pellet

Diabolo Spitz Kugeln (Pointed Head) 8.9 Grain 5 shot group.

Beeman Silver Bear (Hollow Point) 7.3 Grain 5 shot group

Beeman Ram Jet (Dome Head) 9.9 Grain 5 shot group

Winchester Supreme (Pointed head)8.0 Grain 5 shot group

As you can see the Silver Bears are rubbish in my CFX & I have 5 unopened tins, thats right 2500 of them!

I can send them free to a good home just PM me your details.

The others offer resonable groups & worth persevering with once I get the new trigger. Im not the best at using the callipers but you get the idea.
Last edited by palla on Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
palla
.22 WMR

Re: Gamo CFX 177 groups - GTR4G upgrade

Post by palla »

I got back home today to find a parcel from Charlie Da Tuna! I had a look at the instructions & watched the youtube video a couple times & thought nothing ventured nothing gained. It says if you are replacing the spring a press is mandatory but if you are not then you "can do it by hand" with the assistance of a 2nd person (the wife). There were no surprises & the trigger blade went in with no issues.

The result, WOW!, it is a much nicer trigger now with little to no creep, very crisp & worth the US$40 I gave him for it.

Now to resight in as I took the scope & mount off to do the work, once sighted back in I will post some groups with the new CFX.
uncakikki
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08

Post by uncakikki »

Good work Palla, all the standard CFX triggers I've seen are absolute garbage, the last one that I shot out at the club was, in my opinion, the worst thing i've ever felt, (there seems to be two types...those that have failed, and those that will! :( ) It will be interesting to see how your groups go with the new one installed. :D
palla
.22 WMR

Post by palla »

Went out bunny busting again last night, man I love my CFX, it so so accurate. The only drawback is the slow follow up shot, cranking on the spring & putting the pellet in through that little fill port thingo.

Nailed 7 bunnies all with head shots at various distances, I bought a mate along & he used the range finder to measure the distances from bunny to car as its easier that way. Sorry that they are in yards but that is what my finder is in.
B1 = 43
B2 = 36
B3 = 35
B4 = 38
B5 = 28
B6 = 24

And the last shot of the night at 4am
B7 = 46
P1010649a.JPG
I did do some groups with it out to 35 yards & my best group is able to be covered with a 5 cent piece.
P1010650a.JPG
My mate was siutably impressed.