Cost to reload the .243

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
palla
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .22WMR

Cost to reload the .243

Post by palla »

I have recently got into reloading so I thought I might put in the costs that I have been able to reload at. This could be handy info for people looking at getting into reloading. I would have found this information handy when I was looking at getting into reloading myself. Do we do stickys?

These costs of course is only the materials & not including the value of your own time.

1LB of Reloader 15 $53.00
200 Remington 9.5 large rifle primers $15.00
200 VMAX projectiles $80.00
Total $ 148.00

This is for 200 rounds which is 10 boxes of ammo. I am able to get 200 rounds out of 1LB of powder minimum, 39.5Gr/round. So easily under $15/box.

In Perth the Premium ammo for the .243 is $42/box of 20. Remington Accutip, Hornady Custom, Winchester Ballistic Silvertip.Etc
Regular ammo is $28/box, Winchester SuperX, Federal Powershock, Highland AX (never again)

Saving per box Premium $27
Saving per box Standard $13

Set of Reloading dies $150
RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme kit $565
Ultrasonic case cleaner $150
Total $865

So I think my break even point is 28 packets of ammo if reloading equivalant premium rounds, which I am well on the way to doing. ;)

Feel free to add your own experience, there are more savings to be had if you buy in bulk as always.
Last edited by palla on Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: Cost to reload the .243

Post by Brad Y »

Dont forget cost of shells too mate. Depending on loads you might only get 6 from a shell or if your loading back you may get a dozen. You will be up for new shells every so often as well...
palla
.22 WMR

Post by palla »

Brad Y wrote:Dont forget cost of shells too mate. Depending on loads you might only get 6 from a shell or if your loading back you may get a dozen. You will be up for new shells every so often as well...
Oh yeah, I didnt mention the shells. What I have been doing so far is keeping the factory brass after I have "emptied" hehe, then just reloading those. I have bought the premium ammo in the past but not anymore, reloads from now on. I have found the right receipe for my Savage to get < MOA with the 58Gr VMAX & 80Gr what ever I got off my mate pills. Thats handy info, I was wondering how many times you can reuse brass, I am up to twice fired & all loaded up ready to go. I am loading them up midrange so hopefully I will get "upto" 12 uses of my brass.

The brass I got off my mate was splitting the neck when full case resized, so I pulled the lot & binned the brass & started fresh with factory brass & reloading that. Good results so far, every time I was expecting a bang, I got a bang & now I have "good enough for me" accuracy I am going with that.

What can you expect to pay for new brass? I suppose there will be bottom shelf & top shelf brass aswell as there is with ammo. Will you get more reloads by neck sizing only as opposed to Full Length resizing? I am FL resizing at the moment & havent had to trim as yet, just as well as I havent got a case trimmer.
CBorg
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by CBorg »

palla wrote:What can you expect to pay for new brass?
This will give you an indication of prices
http://www.shooters.com.au/categories.asp?cID=3875
palla
.22 WMR

Post by palla »

Well thats more food for thought, once again, varying prices on new brass.

Whats the difference in the brass? will the exxy brass last longer or are they built to a tighter spec?

Prices range from 0.64c/round if you buy 1000 Winchesters or 0.68c/round if you buy 500 & up to $1.60/round for Lapua & $1.47/round for Norma brass.

Is this the place most people get their brass from? Do people buy brass or just reload the factory ones like I am doing atm.

That being said, anyone want to go halves in 1000 .243 Winchester brass?