Winchester 320 clean-up

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Winchester 320 clean-up

Post by curan »

I picked up a Winchester 320 .22lr for the right price, to shoot Hunter class silhouette. I always wanted one of these, as the action is by Sportco (Omark) from the Adelaide factory, and I reckon the thought of it going all the way to the states to be fitted with a Winnie barrel and stock, and then finding it's way back around the world to South Oz is a bit neat.
Now it was looking a bit unloved, with some surface rust pitting to the barrel, and a few scratches to the stock. Plus the bolt handle felt a bit iffy. It turned out the male thread was very nearly stripped. The good news is that after a little lube, the action feels smooth and tight, and after a brush and patch, the bore is looking excellent.
It came with a 4x scope, but I pulled it and fitted a Weaver 3-9x38 which fits the rifles age, and looks the goods.
Weaver 3-9x38
Weaver 3-9x38
I took it to the range, and it turns out it shoots the new 42gn Winnie Powerpoints pretty well. Half a dozen 5 shot groups went around 12-19mm at 50m, and the only 100m group I have shot with it measured 27mm.

That was enough for me to decide it needed a little more love, so I machined a quick replacement bolt handle from a 1/4"UNF bolt and made a brass knob for it (to make it look "flash" :lol: ). Looks okay, and now the rifle is reliable and functional.

Then I decided to clean up the surface rust on the barrel. Steel wool and gun oil got it fairly clean, but took the barrel back to bare metal in spots. I got some G96 solid bluing paste, and after degreasing with CRC contact cleaner, applied the paste. I let the paste work for about 30 minutes, and then washed it off with gun oil. This method of bluing is from Potters Firearms website
http://www.potfire.com.au/info/reno1.htm
The initial result looked spectacular, but when I gave it another wash with gun oil 24 hours later, it wasn't looking quite as deep a finish, but definitely looked respectable. I only did the barrel, as the action, etc, was still pretty good as found.
The barrel after bluing
The barrel after bluing
Finally I gave the stock a once over with Marveer, which camoflages the scratches a bit, and then reassembled with a bit of "business card bedding". And for a little effort, the 37 year old is looking pretty tidy again. 8)
Right hand side with "flash" brass bolt handle knob
Right hand side with "flash" brass bolt handle knob
Left hand side
Left hand side
Now if you want to see how to do a really good job of a resto, I recommend the thread by 1Kshot in this subforum (he makes my effort look pretty ordinary), but in limited time, this didn't turn out too bad at all.
regards, curan
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Re: Winchester 320 clean-up

Post by 1kshot »

Curan, looks like it come up a treat and be more than ok for its intended purpose, The finishing was when I had most of the problem with the paste as well, I’m sure someone has worked out how to use the stuff but compared to the no fuss and ease of the liquid gear it just seemed like going backwards for quick n easy blue job repairs. :roll:
At less than 30mm at 100 that’s flaming good for a 37yr old stock rifle. :D :wink: :D

All the best
John
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

8)
Sneaky
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Sneaky »

Ah, the 320's seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately, I had never heard of them until I picked this little beauty up recently at the right price, and out of a collector only licensee, unfired.

Interesting scope on it, total POS, but interesting just the same.

It shoots like stink too :rifle:
Attachments
320_3.JPG
320_1.JPG
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

1kshot wrote:Curan, looks like it come up a treat and be more than ok for its intended purpose, The finishing was when I had most of the problem with the paste as well, I’m sure someone has worked out how to use the stuff but compared to the no fuss and ease of the liquid gear it just seemed like going backwards for quick n easy blue job repairs. :roll:
At less than 30mm at 100 that’s flaming good for a 37yr old stock rifle. :D :wink: :D

All the best
John
Yeah John, if it wasn't for the fact that I had already bought the paste, I would have followed your advice and got the liquid. But as it is, I'm not unhappy with the result, so it's all good.

And the 100m group impressed me to, although as I said, I have only put the one group out at 100 so far. Anything later that goes close to that first group will do me fine. :wink:

regards, curan
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

Sneaky wrote:Ah, the 320's seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately, I had never heard of them until I picked this little beauty up recently at the right price, and out of a collector only licensee, unfired.

Interesting scope on it, total POS, but interesting just the same.

It shoots like stink too :rifle:
Nice Sneaky. It's definitely looking in good nick, and that is really nice timber!

That bushnell scope of yours is a variable version of the fixed 4x that came off mine.

Happy to hear that your's shoots well too! They are definitely a fun little rifle.

regards, curan
fenring

Post by fenring »

Came up well. :D
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

MISSED wrote: 8)
8) indeed, Missed, and if the angle of the photos was different, and the definition better, I reckon you would recognise the magazine! :D

Thanks again for that.....I still know where that mag came from!

regards, curan.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

fenring wrote:Came up well. :D
Thanks fenring. Really close inspection will pick up a couple of flaws, but from a couple of feet away, it looks damn near perfect.

Problem is, I've got more blue left over, and the temptation is there to do it again .... :roll:

Might have to quietly start looking for my next rifle............ :wink:

regards, curan
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

curan wrote:
fenring wrote:Came up well. :D
Thanks fenring. Really close inspection will pick up a couple of flaws, but from a couple of feet away, it looks damn near perfect.

Problem is, I've got more blue left over, and the temptation is there to do it again .... :roll:

Might have to quietly start looking for my next rifle............ :wink:

regards, curan

And the DISEASE takes hold and spreads... though his whole body, mind and soul... you poor bloke... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best
John
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

1kshot wrote:......And the DISEASE takes hold and spreads... though his whole body, mind and soul... you poor bloke... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

All the best
John
Disease or therapy? Not too sure.........addiction maybe?

Perhaps a simple clean-up is the "entry level drug" that progresses to the "hard core" rebuilds! :D
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

curan wrote:[
Disease or therapy? Not too sure.........addiction maybe?

Perhaps a simple clean-up is the "entry level drug" that progresses to the "hard core" rebuilds! :D
You are not wrong there, I started on my old man's lithgow single shot when I was only 15, and have been into shooting and stuff since. Have had a go at getting a Brno fox 2 22 hornet done to 17/222 ten or so years ago, then sold it and swore off customising for life. That didnt work, and now after reading all you galoots on here, have started putting the feelers out for a donor rifle for a 20 cal something or other on a short action. Damn you all to eternal hell, where every shot you take you dont know if there is going to be a missfire or hit. :twisted: :twisted: