Tales from a borescope.!!

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Tales from a borescope.!!

Post by native hunter »

G"Day All,
I just had a look down the tube of my Maddco rimfire barrel with a borescope after having put 7,500 shots thru it and it appears to show a slight type of wear for the full length of the barrel on the bottom side.
I would describe it as a extremely fine shot penne(spelling),the lands and grooves are still sharp and the barrel is shooting at its peak with no sign of a worn barrel to the shooter other than a few more patches to clean it lately.
I would assume the extra cleaning has been caused by this wear in the barrel with fouling sticking to the worn aspect.
I have heard of others speak of rimfire priming compound with glass mixed in it causing this type of erosion but usually only the first few inches of the barrel.
I always shoot Eley ammo.
I clean after every shoot and finish off with a wet patch and dry patch before the next shoot.
Anyone else have a look down their rimfire tube and seen any wear.??
Regards
Native
Ron Goulding
.223 Remington

Re: Tales from a borescope.!!

Post by Ron Goulding »

Hi NH , no i havent. Tell me more about where you got your bore scope, brand and price please ? Cheers Ron
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Yep...same thing with my tobler...probably has shot more R50 in it then Eley...Looked down my barrel on my 50 year old 54 and it looked brand new.

Steve
CBorg
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by CBorg »

Now, I don't know much about this stuff, but if the wear is along the bottom of the barrel only wouldn't this be more likely the result of hundreds of passes of cleaning rather than shooting?

Charles
native hunter
.270 Winchester

Post by native hunter »

Shot more than they are cleaned.!!
Peter Armstrong
Favourite Cartridge: 22

Post by Peter Armstrong »

Native,

There has been a bit of talk about this on forums in the past and basically all rimfires show pitting on the bottom. The fouling left after each shot settles at 6 o’clock and then there are 2 lines of thought,
1/ there is a chemical reaction and that causes the pitting
2/ the fouling is ground into the barrel by the next shoot causing the pitting

The pitting looks like sand blasting and starts at the chamber and over time works forward and when it get to the crown your barrel the bullets seem to be unable to carry the wax the full length of the bore and at that point the barrel has had the Richard.

If your barrel is already showing pitting the full length I wouldn’t expect it to last that long. Last year a lot of US shooters where complaining about their barrels going off before they 10,000 rounds through them and they where blaming current ammo.

Peter
native hunter
.270 Winchester

Post by native hunter »

G"Day,
Interesting Pete,I have 5 bricks in the safe of my good ammo and it will be only time before they go down the tube and I suppose we will see what that next 2,500 rounds do.??
I hope the tubes got more than that in it as its a ripper.!!
Regards
Native
native hunter
.270 Winchester

Post by native hunter »

G"Day Ron,
It was a hawk brand and it was purchased thru sinclairs,It belonged to a mate,I think he said it was around the grand mark.!!
I sure would like to own one.
Regards
Native
Ron Goulding
.223 Remington

Post by Ron Goulding »

Hi NH , im sure there are worth it but i just spent this months budget on a MK3 Martini instead :lol: :lol: Cheers Ron
native hunter
.270 Winchester

Post by native hunter »

G"day All,
Well ive just come from the TRA range and shot a 200.19 with the deciding shot had to be gauged,!!
The barrel even with the 6'0çlock erosion is still performing.
:? :? :?
Native