204 group confusion.

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Drafty
Favourite Cartridge: na

204 group confusion.

Post by Drafty »

I went out on the weekend and fired my 2206H reloads, results were all over the place. Not sure if someone can help or offer some advice on what i may be doing wrong. I have also added pics of my 2208 groups so people dont have to go over my old post.

Thanks. Joe
louie the fly
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 25-06

Re: 204 group confusion.

Post by louie the fly »

hey mate,

what scope are you using??
Are you using a bench rest, bipod, but bags etc?

I have found that with my 204 and 2206H the 39SBK like to go fast. I run 28.5gr in mine for around 3850fps. This load puts 5 shots into 1/2'' @ 100yds. Maybe you could work up some hotter loads (with caution) and see how they go, probs need to work up in .2gr increments and look for pressure signs. I think ADI have 27.7gr as max.

hope this helps.
louie the fly
.17 HMR

Post by louie the fly »

BTW some of those 2208 groups don't look that bad.
Drafty

Post by Drafty »

Louie scope is a NSX 5.5-20x50 and i am shooting off a rug laid out on the floor, rifle is on a bipod with sand bags.

From what i read i expeced better results with the 2206H. Perhaps i should look at getting the rifle bedded by a gunsmith.

I will load up some more loads with a little more powder and see how they group. I also want to reload the 27.1 & 27.4 with 2206H as they showed some pottential and it may have just been me, brother also has a rest so might borrow that aswell.

Joe
louie the fly
.17 HMR

Post by louie the fly »

yeh you are right about the 2206H. Pretty much all 204 shooters use that powder and have has good results.

I saw on the target that the rifle is a sako 85. You would sorta expect a bit better accuracy from a sako.

good luck anyway
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

My opinion only....

Nothing wrong with the rifle, it might be the bipod. Getting consistant small groups off a bipod is difficult as they tend to bounce around a little bit and it can be difficult to get back in the same position each time. I would further support my theory by looking at the "sorts" of groups you are getting. Often there is a good group followed by a flyer. This can be an indicator of change in your body position and the way you are holding the rifle.

It might be worth trying to slow down between shots and get a natural point of aim before letting the shot off. If you cannot get the rifle pointing at the target and remaining pointing at the target when you relax your body then move / adjust until it naturally lines up.

It's also easier to do this off the bench :)

Alternatively wait for someone who actually knows what they are talking about to come along. :lol:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Owen, i like your theory.

ALSO, the groups indicate your local vermin population is in serious danger anyway :rifle:
Drafty

Post by Drafty »

Thanks for the feedback guys, grumpy i see your point and am going to reshoot some of the better grouping loads from a bench and see how they come up. You are spot on with what you say about changing position and not getting back in the same spot, i know this for a fact was the case with the 28.8gr / 2208 group.
Drafty

Post by Drafty »

trevort wrote:Owen, i like your theory.

ALSO, the groups indicate your local vermin population is in serious danger anyway :rifle:
I am hoping thats the case with the bunnies Trevort, but would still like to see 1 big ragged hole on paper so that when i miss i know its me and not he gear thats not performing.
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

G'day,
Couple of things come to mind-
*Definitely get a good pillar bedding job done.
*Maybe the trigger needs some work.
*Are the cases prepped uniformly.?
*Do you have them seated out as far as you can get them without engaging the lands and so they still feed and fit in the mag.??
*(No criticism intended) But are you capable of shooting nice tight groups?.
*Theres a bit of water marks on the cards,Was it windy wet weather.??
It appears theres something not right thats effecting them groups.
Keep at it mate.!!
Regards
Native
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

I'd load a few more up with the 28.3gn of 2208 and see if it can consistently produce good groups, I don't see a huge ammount wrong at all, just work around that group and adjust seating depth etc (recording any changes of course) and just fine tune around that load - job dune.

For hunting there's nothing wrong with it at all.

My Howa shoots better but I still miss em at times - thats shooting I reckon. :hunting:

good luck and enjoy the sport! and a nice rifle choice too mate, once you work out what it likes to be fed it will be a cracker. Don't get too hung up on it must shoot .5" crap, after all if your using it for hunting your not shooting groups on fur hey!!! To me the first shot is the most important as thats the one thats going to do the killing as such.

Good luck