good books on long range shooting

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

good books on long range shooting

Post by kjd »

Jeff,

How I took it was:
"you don't be learnin nuffin by those fangdangled book readins"
The second why seemed like there was an axe to grind..
Eric Stecker

Re: good books on long range shooting

Post by Eric Stecker »

To the point of whether or not Bryan's book is good for a new shooter it depends on the shooters. Before I expand on that point I'll add that anyone who is new to shooting has much to internalize. Fortunately, for the new shooter most of it is a lot of fun. What you do to learn depends a lot on what you intend to do with a rifle and how you learn best.

It is clear that the OP wants to shoot long range. We don't know if this is for hunting, competition or for recreation but it is likely that anything on the subject of long range shooting is helpful since you will not be hurt by too much information. As I relayed earlier, shooters can quickly decide if a particular book will interest them. What is interesting for some may not be interesting to others. Remember that in the end it is all about having fun so if a particular book puts you to sleep then it is probably best to set it aside.

Bryan's book is true to its title, Applied Ballistics. He worked to bring the science of ballistics to the general shooter. He did so by using as much common speak language as possible. Ballistics is the math of shooting and other books on the subject are thorough and accurate but are worded in ways that appeal mostly to engineering types.

Bryan's book is a deliberate effort to explain ballistics in a way that is accurate and understandable to those of us who are not engineers (me included). Below is a few of the chapters in Bryan's book. See if you don't spot some that a new shooter could benefit from:

The Ballistic Coefficient (explained)
Uphill/Downhill Shooting
Wind Deflection
Using Ballistic Programs
Getting Control of Sights
Example Performance Analysis
Generalized Score Shooting Analysis
Hit Probability for Hunting
Using the (his) Experimental Data – Bryan's first book provides 210 pages of fire tested bullet analysis which are all factual science based results confirmed by ballisticians from other bullet companies. This is the only work that groups these bullets together and tests them with precisely the same method for accurate comparability.

I’ll admit that if you never touched a rifle or are not big on reading there is much you can do before you will benefit from Bryan’s work. If you are a relatively new shooter but are knowledgeable in areas of engineering Bryan’s book can answer questions in which you’d be interested in ways few other books can. Shooters who are very experienced can go to Bryan’s book to get an advanced understanding of ballistics and how it applies to your shooting.

I’ll further admit that Bryan’s book is on an advanced topic that is difficult to communicate in a simple and easy to understand way. Thankfully there are many books on long range shooting that go into other areas of the sport. Bryan’s book is for those who want to learn more about the science of ballistics so that they can apply this knowledge when they can or at least grow their knowledge base.

To apply knowldge into action one must first gain the knowledge. Some do so through others, some use books while some find success by doing both. I recommend the latter.

Regards,
Eric
wadcutter
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .338Win Mag

Post by wadcutter »

justjeff wrote:Keith,

I think the root of the whole arguement is in the statement that the Litz book contains all the OP needs to know about long range shooting and reloading. Not my words, they come from Wadcutter.
Jeff
Jeff,
I did not say that! You must be clear when you quote someone that you do so accurately.
I had hoped not to comment on this thread again.
What I said was "All you need to know in the one book". I did not mention "Reloading".
How such a simple statement can so deeply upset a few people is regretable.

I made this statement in reference to the topic heading of "Good books for long range shooting". The heading refers to "Shooting" not reloading so I was thinking of more along the lines of exterior ballistics, as most long range shooters are already experienced reloaders.
I hope that this clears things up.

I consider the book one of the best modern texts on the subject of exterior ballistics for sporting shooters. If you know of a better one then please let me know as I will be happy to buy it.
justjeff
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 270 Win

Post by justjeff »

Wadcutter,

Stop splitting hairs, you made the claim that Litz's book was all he needed to know. End of story. Don't stand there with your hands up saying it wasn't me.

Jeff
spindrift
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47L

Post by spindrift »

Hi i don't usually post anything i just read and see the fireworks however here is the books in my collection perhaps you may find interesting information in them. Always remember books are based on information at the time so take a little out of each book but if it is repeated in several books then perhaps there is basis in this information.
books
The benchrest shooting Primer -Published by precision shooting, Inc.
Extreme rifle Accuracy by Mike Ratigan
Rifle accuracy facts by Harold R.Vaughn
Rifleman's Guide to Rimfire ammunition by Steven Boelter
The Paper Jacket by Paul Matthews
The ultimate in Rifle Accuracy by Glenn Newick
Mental Training in shooting by Anne Grethe Jeppesen
Prone and long range rifle shooting by Nancy Tompkins
Reading the wind and coaching techniques by James R.Owens
The wind Book for rifle shooters by Linda K Miller
i hope this helps fraz
oldbushie
Favourite Cartridge: 25/06

Post by oldbushie »

i have been shooting for nearly 35 years, from single shot .22 through semi auto (yes i must be a murdering terrorist) large calibre and over all sorts of distances for all sorts of reasons. This entire thread has made me laugh hilariously, i know personally many othe people posting and i know what and how they shoot and all of them have somethign to share on the skills of long range shooting. i would suggest as an entirely different point to commence that the person wanting the information should actually try shooting the distance if they haven;t already. it is nor for every one and takes a great deal of personal discipline to control your instincts and urges when shooting long range. i cant read the wind for anything and have a badhabit of trying to hold the gun at the front on the rest, too many years and too many different guns i suppose. THE WHOLE POINT IS THE BEST WAY TO LEARN IT IS GO OUT AND DO IT AT LEAST ONCE AND THEN START THE THEORY (making the assumption theat the original post was by someone wha has very little or no expereince at this sport- my apologies if this is incorrect)