Varmint Scopes? Feedback on brands

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
223 fanboy
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Re: Varmint Scopes? Feedback on brands

Post by 223 fanboy »

James270 wrote:I am currently running a Conquest 6.5 -20 x 50 and my 204 and I am really impressed by it.
The Bushnell Elites I own and have used ...
Hi James270,

For spotlighting, how big an improvement is the Conquest compared to the Bushnell elites?
Can you see better at the edge of the light with the Conquest?

I use a Bushnell 3200 4-12x40 for under the light, and I'm keen to hear about better options for a spotlighting scope.

Tez,
Sorry for the hijack, but I hope James270's answer will be of use to you as well.
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Varmint Scopes? Feedback on brands

Post by cam_mackps2 »

James270 wrote:The Bushnell Elites I own and have used suffer terribly from sun flare and the lack of internal elevation adjustments have also been a cause of concern. The Elite 6500 series has a wide magnification range but my understanding is that they use the same glass as the 4200 series.
I find my 6500 clearer than a mate 4200. The 6500 has more adjustment due to the 30mm tube. Can't say I have noticed the sun flare issue.
James270
His Holiness
Favourite Cartridge: 270W

Post by James270 »

The Conquest is certainly clearer all round than the 3200 and 4200 series Elites I have used. The picture is clear right to the edges and it doesnt have that "looking through a tube" feature that some scopes have. As I said it does start to lose clarity at about 18x, but if you need that kind of magnification to shoot accuratly at night you should probably drive a bit closer :D

As evidenced by Cams post opinions vary and these are only my thoughts and should in no way be treated as gospel. Try and find someone nearby and have a look through their conquest at times that match when you plan to use it.
James270
His Holiness
Favourite Cartridge: 270W

Post by James270 »

cam_mackps2 wrote:
James270 wrote:The Bushnell Elites I own and have used suffer terribly from sun flare and the lack of internal elevation adjustments have also been a cause of concern. The Elite 6500 series has a wide magnification range but my understanding is that they use the same glass as the 4200 series.
I find my 6500 clearer than a mate 4200. The 6500 has more adjustment due to the 30mm tube. Can't say I have noticed the sun flare issue.
Glad you are happy with it Cam but I probably wont buy another Elite; I believe there are better value for money options around these days. That said I am not rushing out to get rid of the ones I own :D
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

I rate my weaver classic 6-24 scopes. The grand slams are good too as they have the tracking system that their t series Target scopes have.
sbn

Post by sbn »

G'day Tez,
I have 3 Conquest 6.5-20's and 1 Conquest 4.5-15 on various varminting/spotlighting rigs and a Bushnell 6500 4.5- 30 on my 20/250. To my rapidly deteriorating eyes the Conquests are better under the light and very close to my and mates "top of the range" (and price!) Euros.
Cheers Dugald
Tez
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 3006

Post by Tez »

Thanx for the feedback lads, keep it coming :D

Quick question. Also looking at ALL the Weaver line of rifle scopes.
Are 'all' their scopes MADE IN JAPAN or some other Asian country?

Any tunnel vision with these scopes? Negatives?
aussie
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5mm

Post by aussie »

i have 2 6-20x40 grandslams . optics are better than my leupys.. only problem i have is the fine gold writing on the power ring and paralex. to fine for my bleary eyes
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

G'Day Tez

I currently use a nightforce scope on the CatKiller and if you can afford one you wouldnt regret it.

Other scopes I have used on varminting rifles are

Vortex Viper 3-9x40 Duplex (Lives on the camel rifle now). This is a good scope with great glass for the money. It was this scope that sold me on the Vortex brand. Had I bought the one below first I might not have been as enthusiastic

Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44AO Duplex Lives on the 17HMR. A good scope but not as good as the 3-9x40 of the same brand. I really havent had a chance to try it out much yet but for the price I couldnt argue with it.

Bushnell Elite 3200 4-12x40 AO (sits on the shelf gathering dust). At the time I was happy with this scope but now that I have used better ones I doubt I could go back to it. When my kids get there own centrefire they will get this scope.

Leupold VX-L 4.5-14x56 Duplex (Elmer Fudds scope on his .223). Bloody excellent and would be my pick in the scopes you are looking at in the >$1000 range. Its worth getting a price locally because sometimes with the dollar like it is you can get them cheap over here. this was the case for Elmer, a full $150 cheaper than buying OS. More often than not though TOZ is the cheapest for these (you can get the Alumina flip back protectors for them as well)

Redfield something or other, an old steel bodied scope that I recall throwing at the dog when it was digging up the lawn. It was on the old model70 had an adjustable objective and was obsolete and crap. Apparently it was a good scope in its day (circa 1979)

Simmons 3-9x40 duplex that was bundled with a rem sps I have since sold. The scope I gave to Elmer to put on his goat rifle and it still seems to work, essentially cheap but better than the redfield :D

On an overall preferance thing for long shots I like the AO if its all close in its a PITA. Magnifications, I have come to the conclusion that anything more than x15 isnt that usefull. I rarely use the NF wound out to x32 under the light as it loses so much brightness. Infact the only reason I can use it at this power is because we have shifted to HID lights. Weight isnt an issue for these sorts of scopes as I shoot from a vehicle or a stationary position. The CatKiller and Nightforce combo is heavy and not something that is a lot of fun to walk with.

Most important for me is a good consistent cheek weld to the stock and clear optics. the VX-L gives this with VX-III equivalent optics and low mounting. The scope for the 280AI will most likely be a VX-L 3-10x50.

Not sure if this helps or not Tez but there you go

Dr G
VARMTR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22250 & 22KH

Post by VARMTR »

I have a VX3 6.5-20x50 on my K-hornet. Once I get my 22250 back I was going to put my 6.5-20x50 Simmons Atec back on it, but have taken a liking to either Bushnell elite 6500 4-30x50 or the Weaver super slam 4-20x50 with the EBX reticle.
StevenB
Favourite Cartridge: .22LR

Post by StevenB »

Seddo wrote:horsley park were running a special on all Nikon scopes a few weeks ago. I picked up a 6-18x40 Mildot Buckmaster for under $350 posted. Very nice to look through and on par with the Bushnell 3200's. I will use it to 300y tomorrow and give it a propper go.

I just picked up one of those as well from Horsley. I got the Buckmaster 6-18x40 with the fine cross hair and dot. Great value for the money
kurcha
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 edge

Post by kurcha »

I used Loupy 3-9 but now trijicon 5-20 not bad at all
CBorg
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by CBorg »

Dr G wrote: Vortex Viper 3-9x40 Duplex (Lives on the camel rifle now). This is a good scope with great glass for the money. It was this scope that sold me on the Vortex brand.

Dr G
cameraland has a great deal on these scopes at the moment
http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vort ... iper3-9x40
USD 180 +post