Why Are No Actions made in OZ!

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Re: Why Are No Actions made in OZ!

Post by RDavies »

Chris, last time I looked into a Stiller Python, I was quoted close to $4000, this was when the Ozzie dollar was on par with the Rupiah though, but people still bought them.
singleshot
.17 HMR

Post by singleshot »

Rod, do you want to buy a Python?

Cameron
morerams
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by morerams »

Looking at the rifles made today there are not many that are made entirely in house, most gunmakers start off with an action and maybe make their own stocks, but usually use someone elses barrel, unless they were already successful barrelmakers who deceided to make actions too. Barrelmaking largely being an area of expertise on its own.

Even some of the larger makers don't or didn't make their own barrels for many years e.g. Weatherby & Ruger come to mind, many don't make their own stocks, and when it comes to target rifles I think even fewer make the entire rifle.
I think it is safe to say that Australia is not unusual in that no one produces complete guns in house.
MAB did some of the inital work on Lloyds actions, boring, turning & threading the recievers and Lloyd did the rest.
jt

Post by jt »

Dennis Tobler had a go at making an action. He made 9 or 10 of them.

cheers
jt.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Missed this thread somehow.

Last I heard when I spoke to the guys in WA making the rear locking actions, was that they were starting making thier first prototypes of a front locking action that will fit rem triggers and into rem inletted stocks. Its being done apparently, just not sure at what stage they are up to.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

I think that that move to a front locking style action with Rem 700 style trigger arrangement and footprint is a very wise move on three grounds. It appeals to a broader range of shooters. It takes away the need for the production company to pay any royalties, diminishing profits. It fits into an already existing industry that is huge.

The more compatible you make it, the more attractive it becomes. The more unique you you make an action, the smaller the market and the larger the suspicion. An action that is very unique needs to be very very high up on the winners lists to be accepted by the mainstream and this is the reason why the likes of Farley, Stiller, Bat,Borden, Nesika etc are all clones. Because the companies are into making money, not statements.

If this is true, i would love to see the progress of this action and pictures if available shown here. There have been a bunch of people waiting for such an offering from an Aussie source.
sizlak

Post by sizlak »

Hi, First post here.

This is a great thread. Pete and Tony Z do you have any more photos. Im not wanting to look at ideas I just like the pictures.

Tony, where you say you didn't have a pre existing name in the bench rest industry for actions wouldn't your own and Jeff Rogers results (I assume using an action you made) be enough?

Is it the bolt of the receiver that cost a lot of money to make. Wouldn't a decent machine shop be able to make up a heap of action bodies and then just buy PTG bolts?

The guys in WA are really busy with their rear locking action at the moment.
Once orders are filled they will get back on the rem footprint action.
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Rath »

I know action's are currently being produced here in Canberra, they will undergo testing before release. When I know more I will update.

Cheers,

Clyde
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Canberra action, the price sounds not to bad either!
Rath
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Rath »

Around $1400 including a jewell trigger is their goal, we will see...
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Now that is good news!!!
Trev your are right the price sound good too!

Glenn
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Wow.. $1400 I was told a little more than that with the jewell.... but even at the price I was told they are a steal!

Lets wait to see them huh....

Could be a great thing!!!

Cheers
sizlak

Post by sizlak »

what company in canberrra is making the actions.
Will they be bench rest standard?
Rem clones or rem foot print?

If you dont know sorry.

thanks,