need some help with bullet seating

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
alex1
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by alex1 »

G'day fellas,

received my hornady bullet comparator and oal gauge today so been testing out a couple of dummy rounds and have a couple of questions for the people in the know.

ammo- 50g vmax

1, so I've found my oal and is 1.857" from the ogive to the base of the shell and a maximum oal case length(from tip to base) 2.240"

2, I'm flicking through one of my user manuals and it states that the maximum oacl is 2.260". so i made a dummy round to the user manuals specs and the oal measures to 1.873"... so that means there is a .016" difference and this is Evan without deducting .010" -.020"..

whats the go for this. I realise that all bullets will be different although the bullets that are my true measuring are way of the potential they could be. also user manual is the exact same rifle as what i have.

hope this makes sense.

cheers
al
frakka
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 223 Rem

Re: need some help with bullet seating

Post by frakka »

hope this makes sense.
I struggled Alex, but I sort of get the drift :wink:......my take on it is that the oal of the loaded round is only an issue for magazine fit. The important dimension is the ogive to base less the desired seating depth, and checking the case still has about a one calibre grip on the bullet.
alex1
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by alex1 »

Thanks for the reply frakka. i have just answered my dome-ass question :roll: :oops:
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

alex1 wrote:Thanks for the reply frakka. i have just answered my dome-ass question :roll: :oops:
no such thing as a dumb arse question. I would be very suprised if every reloader hasnt had to do the mental gymnastics needed to get around seating depth, COAL and headspace.

I know i needed to think about it then rethink again

Dr G
chappo555
.220 Swift
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmbr

Post by chappo555 »

Alex1,
Trick with COAL length gauges is take at least 5 measurements on the ogive. If they vary by more than .002 which can happen especially in worn throat or if you push a bit hard. I use the modified case insert in one hand and use a cleaning rod carefully inserted into the muzzle against the front of the projectile with the other hand. U get a much better "feel" for contact on the lands that way and more consistent measurements. Hope this helps.
Cheers
Chappo555
kurcha
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 edge

Post by kurcha »

well what i did iserted orgive in to the case (resized) closed the action so the lands stoped the bulet pushed it in to the case took the mesurment so this is my coal .i try to load for that rifle to that lenth.

good shootin mate