7mm-06?

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

7mm-06?

Post by Brad Y »

Anyone ever heard of such a calibre and if there is load data for it?
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: 7mm-06?

Post by MISSED »

280 Remington ?
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Brad Y wrote:Anyone ever heard of such a calibre and if there is load data for it?
7mm 06 would be a 280REM...

In the next couple of days I should take ownership of a 280AI. 175SMK's at 2900-3000fps.

Cheers
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Bugger AI beat me to it.....

Yes Brad, the 7mm-06 exists. It was called the 285 OKH and the 7mm/06 Mashburn. Loads are listed in Ackleys manuals. Because of the danger in accidently chambering one of these in a 270Win Remington increased the shoulder length by 50thou to make the 280 Remington factory cartridge.

Loads for all of these are fairly interchangeable but avoid starting on the top powder loads for the 280 Rem.

An improvement over these can be had by chambering a 30/06 to 280AI which has longer brass life, sexier looking cartridge and a moderate improvement in velocity and energy.

I am having a 280AI built at the moment

cheers mate

Dr G
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

Ackley Improved wrote:
Brad Y wrote:Anyone ever heard of such a calibre and if there is load data for it?
7mm 06 would be a 280REM...

In the next couple of days I should take ownership of a 280AI. 175SMK's at 2900-3000fps.

Cheers
Only if you load it well into the red. :!: I am a fan of improving cartridges, but my personal experience has caused me to agree with those who say that PO Ackley got his speeds by overloading the case, not more efficient design.

That case has less capacity than either of the 7mm Short Magnums, and alot less than the 7mm Remington Magnum. The best loads out of a 7mm Remington Magnum go 2800fps with those bullets, 3000fps is only just achieveable by the STW and RUM.

Unless you have a very long barrel, you will not achieve those speeds with sensible pressures (under 60k).
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Put some cash up......... we'll see if I can get there huh.... and I wont be pushing the shit out of it either.

RWS brass, moly, 2213sc.... 27" Kreiger, Surgeon XL....

Check out what velocity can be reched with long chamber 284W... less capacity than the 280AI and good for 2900fps in many rilfes out there.

The only way I wont get there is if I have a slow barrel... but I'd be happy with 2850fps anyway!

Cheers
Last edited by Ackley Improved on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

G'Day AI

I see you got the barrel trimmed a bit from when you bought it. Just a question what made you settle on 27" over 28"? I would have thought longer the better for the sort of shooting you have planned.

I checked on mine just after new years and it is looking the goods. Still trying to sort the magazine issue but now that the dummy rounds have been delivered it shouldnt be long.

Dr G
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Dr G wrote:G'Day AI

I see you got the barrel trimmed a bit from when you bought it. Just a question what made you settle on 27" over 28"? I would have thought longer the better for the sort of shooting you have planned.

I checked on mine just after new years and it is looking the goods. Still trying to sort the magazine issue but now that the dummy rounds have been delivered it shouldnt be long.

Dr G
Yeah mate got the barrel trimmed back. I was going for 28" but just said to go anywhere from 26-28". I got 27". It would have been nice to keep as much length as possible, but just so heavy and cumbersome. The barrel is huge, so shorter the better.

I plan on running it at 2900fps with 175SMK's. That will shoot one hell of a long way out. RWS will last forever... I do not know how you are feeding yours, but a 280AI round feeds perfect from a AI long mag... so I have been told. Made him check it with a full mag cycling.

On paper the 280AI has a lot going for it.

It should be here tomorrow or Monday.. sooner the better!

What are you setting yours up as?

Cheers
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

Ackley Improved wrote:... I do not know how you are feeding yours, but a 280AI round feeds perfect from a AI long mag... so I have been told. Made him check it with a full mag cycling.

On paper the 280AI has a lot going for it.

It should be here tomorrow or Monday.. sooner the better!

What are you setting yours up as?

Cheers
Not a feed issue exactly. Dave needed the cases so he could machine a custom follower after a big run around trying to get one from the states. We could have ordered one from shooters but at more than twice the price of the same item in the US its a principal thing. I have delivered them now so it shouldnt be long.

The 280AI is going to replace my 30-06 as my goto big feral gun. should see lots of use on donkeys and camels as well as goats and dogs. I am trying to find some Trophy Bonded Bear Claws for use on Buffalo. If I cant find them I thought I might give some Barnes MRX a crack.

Dr G
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Yeah I was thinking something like that for a donkey gun. I would love a 284W but brass is a bit of a pain here- its necked up lapua which is $$$ or very rare winchester. Ive never been a big animal shooter only been a small critter buster.
luke5381
Favourite Cartridge: 25/303,22-250,12ga

Post by luke5381 »

hey brad u do know i got a 7mm rem mag that if ya get me on the right day might b up for grabs all depends on how much rooting around the new licencing system is
Dr G
300 Win Mag

Post by Dr G »

G'Day Brad

If reloading is not your cup of tea, or saving brass (you need to fireform the 280AI unless you want to fork out for Nosler which by all accounts is to soft to push hard) you probably would be better with the standard 30-06 or 270Win. Of course if you want something a little different the 280AI is perfect :wink: .

Nothing wrong with the 7mm Rem Magnum either.

At the end of the day with the right bullet and correct placement there isnt anything that walks freely on this continent that the 280AI isnt capable of dropping.

Dr G
Jock
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: .17HMR

Post by Jock »

Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Dr G wrote:G'Day Brad

If reloading is not your cup of tea, or saving brass (you need to fireform the 280AI unless you want to fork out for Nosler which by all accounts is to soft to push hard) you probably would be better with the standard 30-06 or 270Win. Of course if you want something a little different the 280AI is perfect :wink: .

Nothing wrong with the 7mm Rem Magnum either.

At the end of the day with the right bullet and correct placement there isnt anything that walks freely on this continent that the 280AI isnt capable of dropping.

Dr G
Cheers Trav

The 270 is interesting as I kind of like the long case and the fact that there is factory ammo is good too. 280 would be a bit harder to find Im thinking. No problem reloading at all and I like different stuff but this wouldnt be shot all that much. What about the 7mm-08? I see you have one- what do you think about it? A little lacking for longer shots?

Can get both the 270 and the 7mm-08 in a T3 which is handy...
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Ackley Improved wrote:RWS will last forever...
Out of interest, why RWS brass over Nosler 280AI?