Ladder test

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
spooler
Favourite Cartridge: 243

Re: Ladder test

Post by spooler »

Why all this talk about 40gn Vmax's needing a 1:11 or 1:10?? Everyone I have talked to or read on forums have had no difficulties with a 1:12....... it appears to me that the people who did have probs were the minority :?
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Spooler it is not thbe 40 vmax I want to stabilize but the 50 grn Berger
spooler

Post by spooler »

Yep happy with that mate, I thought Brad was implying that you need a 10/11 twist for the 40's. Either way I have heard lots of people say it. 8)
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

You apparently dont "need an 11 or 10 twist" but from what I have heard from 204 shooters, the 40gr bullets dont shoot as well in the 1:12 twists and may be on the border of stabilising. You can test it all out yourself or just use the 39gr SBK's which are getting much better results in the 12 twists- which is what im doing now. 40gr noslers or 40gr vmax dont work in my current 20 practical barrel. Ive got an order in for a new 10 twist so I wont possibly come across any stabilisation issues when I start buying the vmax. They are $15 a box cheaper here and more readily available.
spooler

Post by spooler »

Thanks for the info Brad. I am hoping (fingers crossed) that my Savage 12 VLP DBM with 1:12 will shoot the 40gn Vmax if I push them hard since I don't really see any use for the 32's. I am still waiting on the PTA but it will be for long range (300+m) shots on wiley crows and foxes. Isn't it funny that the scope, rings and bases were ordered in 2 separate orders from the US 3 days after my PTA went in and are here now, yet the PTA which had to travel 20km by post and was confirmed to be granted last Wednesday (just needed the commissioners signature and mailing) still isn't here :shock: System here in WA isn't getting better... it's getting worse!

I still haven't priced components yet but want to get some good dies, quality brass (I hear Remington can be just as good as Lap if prepped right but Win isn't as good) before I reload. Until then I will try some factory loads, maybe a box of 40's and a box with 39's to see if they stabilise. :auto:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Dont have to tell me about the permit system mate, I got a call today asking why i put pigs down on my 20 gauge application as they reckon it wasnt powerful enough. I then proceeded to tell them all about kinetic energy, solid slugs and comparible energy producing calibers. They saw the light and its being processed now.

In all honesty rem brass is fine in a hunting gun and its probably the easiest to find over here. The 39gr SBK's are the ducks nuts in most 204's, around 26-27gr of 2206H and you usually have a good shooter. I have some 40gr noslers left over if you want to try some of them, but i cant share my last couple of boxes of 39gr SBK's just yet as I havent secured a local source for more yet. Lets just hope the new barrel arrives soon so I can keep buying my reloading components locally.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Brad I have some 40 grn V-Max`s if you want to give them a run.
spooler

Post by spooler »

Thanks for the offer Brad :-) I would appreciate a handfull to try! Sure beats buying a box only to find that they don't shoot in your rifle.... If you have a 6mm or 30 cal I have a few different pills in that cal I can swap if you want to try them :)

The fella that asked about the 20 guage wasn't named Stan was he? Apparently I was the 3rd person that day to get grief from him regarding permits. One other bloke was told that his 15000acre property wasn't going to cut it for a 25/06 and he should chose a 243 cause the 06 was to much gun and my smith also got a call asking if a Diana 177 was a 'high power' rifle :-D Sometimes I think that the police intentionally hire dumbasses to make the process more difficult :x
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

MISSED wrote:Brad I have some 40 grn V-Max`s if you want to give them a run.
Thanks for the offer mate but I have access to plenty here. Just needing the barrel to arrive.