204 Bullets and Brass etc

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
spooler
Favourite Cartridge: 243

204 Bullets and Brass etc

Post by spooler »

Hey fella's,

In preparation for my new 204 I'm doing some research on where the best place is to get componants for it. With my local wanting over $50/100 for 39gn BK's, I was kind of hoping you guys would be able to suggest an online store that has good prices?

Also, Brass..... don't want shit brass, would rather 100 good cases than 300 shite ones but have heard that Hornady brass holds less than others so whats your recommendation?

And finally, since I want this rifle (Savage model 12 VLP) to be as accurate as possible, what dies do you guys recommend? Currently I use Lee Deluxe (243) and Redding (300WSM and 22 K Hornet) but will probably prefer something in the comp range like Forster etc. Open to suggestions!

Thanks heaps in advance :rifle:
cam_mackps2
.222 Remington

Re: 204 Bullets and Brass etc

Post by cam_mackps2 »

Not 204 related but die related.
I started with a set of RCBS 223rem & a set of Redding 270win.
I didn't like the RCBS a lot, more so the decapping setup. I liked the way redding was setup, but wasn't a huge fan of the seater leaving rings on the projectile after seating (rcbs suffered the same).
Now i am switching over to Redding FLS die and Forster Benchrest Seater (sliding sleeve, but not the mircometer adjustment).
To do this i buy a Redding Set and Foster Seater from Sinclairs. In the case of the 270 i bought a Forster set and flogged the Forster FL die & Redding Seater.
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

I use Remington brass and it works for me, and I don't cry if I loose some. I have seen some terrible brass from Winchester, the others I don't know.

Dies, I use Redding collet dies with the TiN coatings, and neck them only. Never had a problem, but I'll have to check what size I am using.

Also give consideration to trying Re-10x as your powder, it's considerably better in my rifle than 2006H, although that seems to be the standard.

Try Horlsey Park (sp?) in NSW, but you would have to buy a few to make up the freight :( Best to try them first before commiting, I can send you a few to try if you need.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Remington brass
CCI BR4 primers
And try Simpson sports in Wollongong he had/has a good price on Sierra `s
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

My 204 is full custom. I spent the nearly $2 percase to get the best bras, Norma. I have a bag a remington bought at a fraction of the price waiting for the norma to wear out.

Prepped rem did very very well in my old Ruger VT 204.

rem 7 1/2 bk primers, 2206h 39gn BKs
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

I'm running Win brass because I (wrongly) assumed it would be better than the Rem stuff I've seen in other calibres! Next time I'll either pick a calibre which has Lapua or stump up for Nosler!

Powder wise I use Re10x and shoot 39gr SBK's. I have a Redding 3-die set and to date have only needed to neck size, though the brass has only been reloaded once so far.

My last batch of 39gr SBK's cost $95/500 from the US...... :mrgreen:
spooler

Post by spooler »

Thanks for the replies guys :-)

I have ordered some 34gn dogtown pills to try since they were really cheap online. Also got a new 20 cal cleaning rod (Tipton Carbon Fibre) as the one I have is bent, and 100 Hornady cases.

For dies, I'll probably only use a neck die as well (don't need FLS on my others) so was looking at a comp seater and neck die.
This one looks pretty good although I'd get one with a neck die not a FL die....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/RCBS-204-Ruger-C ... 1c14a98f8b

So, seems like your 'trial' worked ok Jeff :-) Might have to have a chat later :-D
My bloody PTA was approved on Wednesday and the 204 is listed on my licence but still no letter yet :-(
spooler

Post by spooler »

Hmmmmm...... all the good comp dies feature a FL sizing die not a neck die. I thought better accuracy was achieved by neck sizing so the body of the case stays formed to the contours of your chamber????

I'm seriously thinking of just biting the bullet and ordering these:

http://www.sinclairintl.com/.aspx/pid=3 ... _204_Ruger

With a side order of this!

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VOMIT-FLUID-Caus ... 1858wt_913

Ha ha ha!!! Funny what you find when you type in 'projectile' to the ebay search engine :-P
jeffk
22-250 Remington

Post by jeffk »

spooler wrote:Hmmmmm...... all the good comp dies feature a FL sizing die not a neck die. I thought better accuracy was achieved by neck sizing so the body of the case stays formed to the contours of your chamber????
You should be able to get a neck bushing die in a set with a comp seater and body die if that's what you're after?
spooler

Post by spooler »

I'm after whatever is going to be the best option Jeff :wink: Thats why I was looking at the Redding Comp Bushing die set. :mrgreen:
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

yes, thats the best option.

you can use a non micrometer top bushing neck die from redding, the forster comp seater (non micrometer) and a redding body die (you have to have the ability to push the shoulder back because eventually they will get hard to chamber) but just order that set from sinclair if you have the coin.
jeffk
22-250 Remington

Post by jeffk »

spooler wrote:I'm after whatever is going to be the best option Jeff :wink: Thats why I was looking at the Redding Comp Bushing die set. :mrgreen:
Can't remember where you are exactly, but you're welcome to come over and have a look at both my "standard" Redding .204 dies and the .243AI and .308 bushing dies and comp seaters to compare. In a hunting gun, I can't be arsed with comp seaters and bushing dies though as a general rule.....my .243AI is a little different as it's a full Clancy-built Stiller custom.
spooler

Post by spooler »

Hey Jef, Thanks for the offer :-) I'm down in Lakelands near Mandurah and I think your about the opposite side of Perth to me :wink:

Normally I'd agree re choice of dies (after all I use Lee in my 243 and they work) but I want to give the 204 the best chance of accurate, consistent loads so I don't miss those long shots on crows 8) After about March next year I'll be paying a full mortgage on my single wage so should buy the nice stuff now I suppose :mrgreen:
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Spooler if you order the dies from overseas let me know prior as I need a reading neck die for my 20 practical. A mate has a savage laminate in 204 and its real accurate with the federal 39gr factory loads. But if you want to reload from the start I suggest redding type s dies and just get remmy brass and either remington 7.5 primer or federal gold medal primers and the 2206h. If it doesn't shoot well I would be surprised but then you can try reloader 10x. Try to get by with one or two boxes of projectiles until a few of us get a bulk order going. You can use the nosler cheapies for running your barrel in anyway then work yourself a load with the sbk's
spooler

Post by spooler »

Hey Brad,

Will let you know when I am ready to order..... probably soon since I might as well be sad over spending lots of money in one hit :-)

I have 100 Hornady brass on order so should be right for brass and going to try a range of pills when I get it. Getting some Federal 39gn and 40gn Vmax ammo at the start to run the barrel in so that should give me some good idea 8)

Probably going to give RL-10X a good go as well as BM2 as the AR powders are dirty and run hotter but will see..... have 2206H anyway to try. And I'll either use the 7 1/2 primers or BR's.