SIMMONS scopes.

Scopes, Range finders, Binoculars, Bipods etc etc. Discuss them all here!
cazza412

SIMMONS scopes.

Post by cazza412 »

Bought a SIMMONS 3-9x40 scope off Ebay last week. $50 brand new. I'm pretty impressed so far. Nice and clear and the quality appears really good. Don't know if it's a knock off or not, it's made in China. It seems legit. Haven't sighted it in yet but at face value looks like it will be good value for the money. Has anyone else tried one of these?
fredz4
Favourite Cartridge: .204R

Re: SIMMONS scopes.

Post by fredz4 »

My mate has got one on his marlin .22 it is very clear for the price and good focus at full zoom. It has however become foggy within 5 weeks of ownership. although it may be an isolated case the lgs has agreed to warranty it. He will be getting the same scope as he really likes it.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

they were originally made in phillipines, so they have either changed the factory or its a knock off. Expect knock offs on ebay.

I had a whitetail classic 5 yrs ago, phillipines made bought from LGS, good scope. Bought another cheap simmons from TOZ a couple years back, the eyepiece was screwed on skew wiff, TOZ has excellent service and allowed me to replace it with a better brand.

buy cheap buy twice
WhiteMeat
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223AI

Post by WhiteMeat »

I picked up a 6.5-20x50 for my .223 ages back, it's nice and clear though heavy, now it's sitting on the old mans' .22 hornet and it still going strong
cazza412

Post by cazza412 »

I've put mine on my Hornet as well. I'm not sure I would be confident to put it on something with heavier recoil though. Was going to sight it in today at the range but left my run a bit late :( next weekend hopefully.
Brendan

Post by Brendan »

If it's a blazer , they don't like recoil, I put one on a 45/70, first shot a little right, second shot 2 feet left one foot down, 3rd shot 5 feet right 7 feet down, then the reticle started to rattle around in the tube .
cazza412

Post by cazza412 »

I put a Nikon Prostaff 3-9x40 on my 30/06 Howa and it sits there great, No movement or probs so far. As far as obtical quality this Simmons compares very closely to the Nikon, I was quite surprised. Yes, I've heard higher recoiling rifles can be quite brutal on cheaper scopes. The Simmons will stay on the Hornet at this stage, still yet to put a few dowm the spout but don't foresee any dramas, if any arise i'll certainly post, but I thought I'd give a cheap scope a run and see how it goes on a mid range rifle.
Marco
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 7.62x39

Post by Marco »

it cost me about $385.00 at smiths gun shop at least 26 years ago it now lives on my 6.5x55
a simmons 3-9x40 wide angle and its still going strong to this day and stamped on it is
"made in USA" its a good scope i cant fault it
VARMTR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22250 & 22KH

Post by VARMTR »

I currently use a Simmons 6.5-20x50 Atec on my 22250 have found it to be quite good. The only thing I wish was the cross hairs to be a bit finer like my Vari-III Leupold. Currently the rifle is at Pro-Cal for a full rebuild once back the Simmons will straight back on.
Rossco
Predator

Post by Predator »

my phillipino white tail classic 1.5-5x20 has a better image than the bushnell 3200 4-12x40 at the same mag settings... crosshair is a little thicker tho.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Predator wrote:my phillipino white tail classic 1.5-5x20 has a better image than the bushnell 3200 4-12x40 at the same mag settings... crosshair is a little thicker tho.
I've got one of these which I'm going to try on my .375H&H when I get it....should test the build quality! :mrgreen:
fenring

Post by fenring »

Got one of their 4x32 pistol scopes coming - will be interested to see what it's like. Knocked down from $100US to $75 I couldn't resist.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

fenring wrote:Got one of their 4x32 pistol scopes coming - will be interested to see what it's like. Knocked down from $100US to $75 I couldn't resist.
Natchez by any chance? Just got mine (exact same model by the sounds of it) mounted the other day, but haven't shot it yet so can't comment on quality!
fenring

Post by fenring »

jeffk wrote:
fenring wrote:Got one of their 4x32 pistol scopes coming - will be interested to see what it's like. Knocked down from $100US to $75 I couldn't resist.
Natchez by any chance? Just got mine (exact same model by the sounds of it) mounted the other day, but haven't shot it yet so can't comment on quality!

Yep. Also got steel Weaver Grand Slam 3/8 rimfire mounts for $23USD - postage etc was $59USD but I'll still be ahead of what I could get it in Australia for.

This is going on my Sheridan Blue Streak .20 air rifle, mounted "scout" style - recoil won't be an issue as there is none... :D
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

I had one, it arrived attached to my Rem 223. It was fine for what it was. It then lived on my hummer for ages until I lent it to Elmer Fudd to use on his 7mm-08. He still has it and it seems to be holding up fine. Holds zero, clear picture and he kills goats with it.

Dr G