New Brass

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Drafty
Favourite Cartridge: na

New Brass

Post by Drafty »

I have new Remington brass which i am planning to load for the first time this weekend, as i have never done this before and was wondering if anything needs to be done to them like run throught the press or will they be fine as is.

Thanks Joe.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: New Brass

Post by kjd »

Hi Mate,

You want to neck size at least if not Full length size them and also you want to chamfer the inside of the case mouth so it is not square if you don't do this you may get some shearing of the copper jacket on the projectile which will look like very thin copper nail clippings.
You only need to take off the inner edge of the neck one twist should do you don't want to make the mouth "sharp" just take the edge off so the bullet slides in without the shearing.

Oh and if you are new to loading or old for that matter BE CAREFUL. You can never be too careful concentrate on exactly what you are doing and make sure you are doing things right otherwise it will be a dangerous time at the range.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Brad Y »

Remington brass is nice and cheap but its takes a bit of effort to try and get it in decent condition for accurate reloading. Shame winchester brass isnt more readily available and nosler custom brass is such a rip off for what it is (federal brass with a different stamp and apparently "match prepped")

My remmy 223 brass gets full length sized, primer pocket uniformed, flash hole deburred then gets necked down to 20 cal with a 233 and then 228 bushing (its a 20/223 not a standard 223) then trimmed to length, case mouth chamfered then loaded and fireformed before tumbling the cases and then loading to the normal load. Could even go one step further and weight sort them but I think already thats enough.
kjd
Site Admin

New Brass

Post by kjd »

Its funny you know I've only ever done prep like I stated above and still manage to hit rabbits just fine an it groups well too!
Drafty

Post by Drafty »

I will have an experienced reloader overseeing what is going on. Just wanted to get a heads up.

Thanks guys.
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Was also told by others to make sure you trim any cases or at least check length. If FL sizing make sure you measure after that.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Plowboy wrote:Was also told by others to make sure you trim any cases or at least check length. If FL sizing make sure you measure after that.
I've always thought that brass was made to SAAMI specs?
Plowboy
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Plowboy »

Kieth I watched a thing in youtube ages ago with a bloke opening a box of .30-30 brass and the stuff was all over the shop. some of the case mounths were not straight, dints, too long and all sorts of crap. Don't remember what brand they were but it was sure an eye opener!

Think the dude was calling himself ammo smith or somthing like that.

This was not once fired but unprimed and new. Remember him saying that they trim the brass and get it right if they are loading it otherwise they just chuck it in a box. Might be some cheap dodgy stuff we can't get here.
Manna13
.22 WMR

Post by Manna13 »

hey drafty
what i did for my first time 204 ruger loads

new rem brass
dont trim brand new brass
full length size it
uniform primer pocket
debur flash hole
debur case mouth
chamfer case mouth

it worked for me

let me know if you need a hand
as ive got all the 20 cal tools needed

also what dies do you have ??
Drafty

Post by Drafty »

Strated this afternoon, thanks for all the tips by the way.

De burred the flash hole then ran the neck die over them all then de burred the necks, as you guys have mentioned some did not have round necks and some were slightly dinted, so yes work is definately required with new brass, checked the lengths, theye were all prety consistant so didnt trim them.

Ended loading 25 with 2208 powder starting from 27.6 upto 28.4 and will load another with 25 with 2206H ranging from 26.8 - 28.0 during the week. Cases as mentioned were Remington, primers were Rem 7.5 benchrest and projectiles were Sierra 39gr BK's.

Thanks to all who have assisted in reloading and prep info, greatly appreciated.