new heavy varmint rifle

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
SHADOWOLF

new heavy varmint rifle

Post by SHADOWOLF »

i've recently been looking for a new rifle with it main use to be "longer range shooting", 200-600m at the range and in the field.

i've narrowed it down to these 3:

BROWNING A-BOLT M 1000 ECLIPSE 300WSM or 270WSM

http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... e-firearms

SAVAGE 11 LRH 300WSM

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/mode ... ANGEHUNTER

SAVAGE 12 VLP 300WSM

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/12VLP%20DBM

can anyone please give me the goods and bads of these rifles?

cheers. :rifle:
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Re: new heavy varmint rifle

Post by chris.tyne »

If I was you this is what I'd do :),now this will depend on what level of accuracy you are after and how much you wish to spend but.................if you got a second hand rifle for the right price and had it trued up or even just rebarreled you should have change from $2000 eazy...................................maybe :?: .
The rifle will as a rule shoot rings around an of the shelf what ever but as I said it depends on what you are after......................................and you will have to wait on the smith to do the work,if you go with of the shelf the Savages are pretty good :wink: .

Regards Chris.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

The savages can shoot, I know of a 12vlp shooting below .5moa in 22.250 and many others that are good shooters.
dangaff
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Post by dangaff »

I'm glad im hearing these VLP story's, i bought a Manners stock to fit a VLP which ill stick all together come my birthday
SHADOWOLF

Post by SHADOWOLF »

I've been thinking about building a rifle, how much would be involved, price and work wise in turning my howa .243 into a .270wsm ( if possible) with a 26" barrel, muzzle break, new stock and detachable magazine?

Cheers.
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Price comes down to the details really.

What Barrel, which stock, which bottom metal etc. That’s where the biggest expense will come from. The cost of getting it put together wont cost much compared to the parts.

Not sure what’s available for the Howa actions, but if it were a rem 700 action you could easily spend 5K plus without blinking an eye. You could also do it for a lot less then that but as I was saying, it depends on what components you want to use.

Ill give an example if you were building on a Rem 700
As an example of price differences on something like a barrel, you could go for something like a lilja that will be around $900 chambered, a trueflight I think run around the $600 mark and something like a shillen is roughly $600 for the blank. Stocks, A Choate ultimate sniper won’t blow the budget $200 give or take in the US, add a bit for postage and other random fees, but doesn’t have the detachable mag. Or you could go with the AICS gear, which is in the realm of bend over and touch your toes price range.

Best bet would be to speak to a good gunsmith about what you’re hoping to achieve and go from there.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

SHADOWOLF wrote:I've been thinking about building a rifle, how much would be involved, price and work wise in turning my howa .243 into a .270wsm ( if possible) with a 26" barrel, muzzle break, new stock and detachable magazine?

Cheers.
A match quality barrel fitted and chambered will be around $750-800, up to a $1000 for recognised top of the tree items. Add $250 for fluting to reduce weight.
A set of dies will range from $70 to $300 for a tricked out set of Redding bushing dies.
Boltface enlargement will be around $150.
Tricky trigger will be around $150 to $300.
An AICS 5 shot magazine is $100.
If you really must have a muzzle break (you don't need one with that recoil level) a Holland unit will set you back around $200 landed and fitted.

Stocks:
- Wildog for around $600, plus bottom metal $400. Fitting will require some dremel time.
- Manners for a similar price, plus bottom metal. Can be ordered already cut for the bottom metal from LightForce Australia.
- Roedale Precision chassis is top of the heap and will cost around $1400 depending on exchange rate. No need for bottom metal as it is already made for AICS magazines.

You can do this all step by step. The big question is, what kind of rifle do you want? A gun for heavy varmits, or a long range walkabout rifle? Barrel profile and stock design/weight will be critical for this choice.

Peolpe here have a great deal of experience getting rifles built, decide what you want to do and then come back with your desired use scenario and any 'musts' that you want. We can help with the rest of it
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

how about the following

Howa 300WM barreled action $550
Wild Dog / Manners Stock $600
New Barrel to your chosen profile $600-1000
Trigger work or replacement trigger ??

You can get out of it for under $2000 and havea rifle that will shoot too.

Seddo.
dangaff
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: .204

Post by dangaff »

Wild dog is 510 without special paint + 200 if you choose special paint
My manners T2 i've ordered has set me back 587 incl GST, standard paint

I hope to do the same thing one day
dave
7mm08 Rem

Post by dave »

Depends on the waiting game really, if you can wait go the howa action route as they seem a good cheap basis for an accurate rifle (says me who is still waiting for his) otherwise dont be put off bye the savage vlp i have not heard to many people say they are not shooters and if need be chuck an aftermarket stock on it and away you go!
SHADOWOLF

Post by SHADOWOLF »

hey dangaff,

who imports the manners stocks?

or did you order straight from the US? if so, what was the shipping cost?

thanks
Richta
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 223

Post by Richta »

who imports the manners stocks?
Lightforce Australia if I'm not mistaken.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Post by adamjp »

adamjp wrote:- Manners for a similar price, plus bottom metal. Can be ordered already cut for the bottom metal from LightForce Australia.
SHADOWOLF

Post by SHADOWOLF »

adamjp wrote:
adamjp wrote:- Manners for a similar price, plus bottom metal. Can be ordered already cut for the bottom metal from LightForce Australia.
i had a look at their website and couldn't find any reference to manners stocks, perhaps i wasn't looking at the correct site?

will have to call them monday.

cheers
Whitty
Favourite Cartridge: .222

Post by Whitty »

SHADOWOLF wrote:
adamjp wrote:
i had a look at their website and couldn't find any reference to manners stocks, perhaps i wasn't looking at the correct site?

will have to call them monday.

cheers

You have to look at the Ace Precision Rifle Systems link. APRS is the Australian distributor.

http://www.lightforce.net.au/aprs/products/stocks