Interesting Weekend ahead

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Interesting Weekend ahead

Post by a.JR »

Hi All , This weekend will be interesting ,competition wise with 1000yd BR matchs going on at 3 different ranges across OZ .. Townsville and Canberra will have another chance at comparing with the Yanks but essentially there are 3 little club events going on individually .. Anyone willing to take bets on which range gets the SG's and HS's ..Townsville will only be shooting 2 targets in a day ,as it has been done since we started ,so it will be hard to compare equally with the ones that shoot more.. I guess for me it will have to be the 1st 2 targets because the more ya shoot the more chance ya get of getting a better agg .. If the weather guys are worth anything at all it's not going to be easy to get a good group in TSV , they say 30 kts straight down the range and pissin down .. I was hoping for something a little easier to better the 6 Match agg i now have ,oh well mabye next month..JR..Jeff Rogers
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Re: Interesting Weekend ahead

Post by macca »

Hmmm.Is something else changing in your capital city jeff?.
I'm only taking enough ammo to shoot two targets in Canberra or did i miss something ?
cheers,
Macca
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Post by a.JR »

Hi Macca, Brisvegas has been shooting 3 light targets for some time ,possibly as long as 2 years .. the rumour mill that got to me was that Canberra was to change also .. I super glad that it's not happening as it makes it just a little bit harder to call it Australian 1000yd Benchrest if we all go our own direction .. Last year Bris shot 24 light gun targets and we shot 10 ,you do the maths .. Potentially having more than double the total targets shot during a year gives one a heap better chance at getting a tighter group agg or an overall higher score agg ,even though this has been a failure .. Good luck in Canberra this weekend ..JR..Jeff Rogers
macca wrote:Hmmm.Is something else changing in your capital city jeff?.
I'm only taking enough ammo to shoot two targets in Canberra or did i miss something ?
cheers,
Macca
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

How does it go? Even a blind squirrel can occasionally find an acorn on the forest floor. :mrgreen:
RDavies
.257 Roberts
Favourite Cartridge: 7 SAUM

Post by RDavies »

30 Knots wind and pissing rain. Hmm, maybe not too many records.
I hope Wingham start having their 1000yd BR comps soon, when the wind gets up to 10 knots at Wingham, the locals call it a cyclone, though I did see a flag get up nearly 45 degrees for a few seconds last time I was there, jeeze I nearly had to hold of over an inch.

What gets me is that there are only 3 clubs in OZ running 1000yd BR comps. There would have to be 2 dozen NRAA ranges in OZ which shoot out to 1000yds. Just gotta get the heirachy to work in with SSAA to have the ocaisional 1000yd BR shoot. It would be win/win for both sides.
a.JR
6mm Dasher

Post by a.JR »

Well ,Another day in the 1000yd calender .. Not the easiest of days ,one could go from champ to chump in one shot.. Winds causing vertical was the main problem ,i had a good one going on the 1st relay and the next i got caught just like everyone else did .. Good to see 3 H/Gs and if Bobby Ls day was any indication(6.99in group) with his new 300WSM then if he can learn to drive it ,we may as well all stay home .. Very impressed .. I was particularly happy with my 99.7x 1st target as it is the highest X count in AUS, as the yanks say * ya can't shoot high scores if it don't group*..JR..Jeff Rogers
albow
.257 Roberts

Post by albow »

Howdy All

Fortunately the forecast rain didn't turn and we only had heavy cloud cover with a cool warmth for NQ :) The winds were definitely in the 30 knot range overnight and this morning although they did ease for the afternoon and became finicky which caused some unbelievable vertical if you got caught which invariably everyone did.

Full results are up in the competition section but an overview is:

HG score and group aggs went to JR with 194.8 & 7.953" which included a super first card with a picture of the target attached below.

In LG score agg went to Jack S with 96.5 and group agg went to myself with 6.441"

See all in a fortnight for our August shoots when we have the 550 on Saturday and 1000 on Sunday.

macca
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by macca »

Nice target Jeff.
You blokes had a good shoot by the look of the results.
Dave will post our results as usual. He had a good shoot.
Canberra conditions were very good.(Still trying to work out how I shot so badly in such good conditions). :? :roll:
Muz

Post by Muz »

Does anyone know what the record for LG group is?
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

That loud thud everyone heard at 3 pm today was me and the 6BR coming back down to earth. What i would have given for my old 300 Rednex LG today!!!
It is days like today that show the clear difference between the 6 mill and the 30 cals. Jack had a good shoot now that the old Purcell gun has had all the bugs removed and will be a real contender once he gets more time behind the trigger. Alan had a very good result given what he was presented and with a barrel now heading off toward 3000 competition rounds by the end of this season, the time has come for a new barrel, new tube and a new brake Alan :D .
A couple of good results there for the Virginia postal in the HG class with JRs 5.3 and 99.7 a real blinder in that crap, as well as Bob L with a first run sub 7 incher. Not my pick of cartridge in the 300WSM as the Norma cases are junk, but the bullets make up for it. He ever goes to 300 AI or Redneck or Rednex and gains another 200 fps, as he will, we will just sit back and watch. One bullet cost him a 5.0 which in that offering would have been outstanding and considering that he has had no time to sort the rests out or the final load development, this gun has the potential to go sub 4 inch in my view. I think JR is looking a little nervous at the minute :mrgreen:
From my perspective today was probably the last chance to get the two groups needed to gain that sub 5 inch six match. From now on in the weather just gets worse and the Mango winds are not that far off. So i think the 6BR will be shelved as the nice distraction it was and it will be back to the 300 Rednex and 200 SMKs for the rest of the season. My recommendation for the 6 BR is, like any other 6 mil or 6.5, nice and pleasant to shoot, but can't play with the 30 cals over the course of a six match. One group does not an accurate gun make and again i cannot help but to think of where i would be had the Rednex or JAT been shot all year.
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by macca »

Muz wrote:Does anyone know what the record for LG group is?
3.28" to Jim Clifford with a 308 shooting (200 grainers?) at Canberra
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Post by dg »

all going to plan

result summaries will be on this site and benchrestbulletin later on tonight.

macca - they had sold out of pies :( :(

dave g
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Post by dg »

muz

i am guessing that you shot blind in brisbane, did anyone else?

for the postal comparison compilations,are the results available somewhere?

cheers
dave
Muz

Post by Muz »

Hi Dave,

I am sure the results will be up somewhere soon.

There were a couple shooting blind. I shot all Light gun blind , both days, Heavy I shot marked the first day and blind the second.

All round a great shoot in Brisbane. Nice light conditons generally, however you could still come unstuck big time if you weren't real careful, and even when you were there was some unreadable vertical in the conditions at times which caught all but a luck few.

One bloke that didn't get caught was Richard Wild, who shot an absolute pearler late yesterday in light gun and hence my question about the group... it went just over 2" can't remember exactly but it was very tidy.

How was Canberra?
ratshot
17 Hornet
Favourite Cartridge: 6 dasher

Post by ratshot »

Muz im hearing Ric Wild popped up with a 2.067 lg group with a borrowed gat.