Rimfire barrels.??

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Re: Rimfire barrels.??

Post by chris.tyne »

Hmmmmmm I may be about to show how little I know about rimfires but here is my take on some of this stuff,AMMO can make or break ya.................but you all knew this already,if the ammo you are using doesn't agree with the rifle .....................ya wont be real competive.
If the rifle wont shoot without a tuner a tuner wont make it competitive,if it shows promise without a tuner then it may be worth a try with one fitted......
.........if you actually tune the thing that is.
Barrels........................are a bit like ford vs holden some have a favorite brand and thats that,soon as someone cleans up at a comp the first questions are what ammo,what barrel.........................most if not all the current match grade barrel manufacturers are making some pretty good stuff.
As for the long and skinny barrels with tuners fitted as per the trend in the states,well that is more of a neccessity to make there weight limit of 10.5lb's where we have the custom class limit of 14lb..........
................and they worked out that the longer barrels when tuned shot pretty damn good.
Actions.............................I would love a custom action,a mate just got one and it is sweeeeeet to use and it shoots BUT I have spoken to some pretty good smiths here in Aust and most all of them say that yeah the customs are good to use,smooth,port/loading options but for flat agging ability offer no real advantage over a well setup 54 or the like.
If it has or can have a decent trigger fitted,has good ignition it more than likely can be made to shoot.
Mr Bill Calfee..........................................he is no doubt a world class smith,great sales person and an exellent self promoter and his rifles usually end up in the right hands to be used on the world stage..........he is not silly :wink: .
I was having a conversation with a lady that was lucky enough to compete at the worlds in Italy and used a team USA rifle now only a fool would think that the ammo and rifle wouldn't work together but this lady said that it was unbelivable to use and shoot with.............................................she went alright with it as well.
If you have a good action,trigger,stock and smith to put it together then there is no reason for it to not be a shooter if only it was that eazy.
Another thought pin or thread the barrel to the action,some smiths say that threading is not required and more work for nothing and yet others say threaded is the go......................I am undecided on this one.
A smith in Victoria reckons that the 2000 series Annies are a good candidate for a screw and glue job,he filles the screw holes with epoxy so that the temptation is reduced to fiddle by the owner..........have seen one that was barrel blocked and it went alright as well.
And if you havent got the right ammo,cant interpret what a flag is telling you all the Calfee rifles in the world wont help ya.

Disclaimer.................the above opinions are by Chris who has won nothing of note,and they may just be worth what you paid for them :D

Regards Chris.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Something I forgot to mention regarding ammunition relates to the grade of lead and the lubrication used when it was manufactured (this is why some ammunition performs better then others and why some people remove the lubrication and wax prior to firing).

Regards

Sean
native hunter
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: .22lr

Post by native hunter »

Chris-Out of all the previous posts ,I think yours made the most sense.!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Native
harold
Favourite Cartridge: n/a

Post by harold »

Secondaly, the best young shooter going around at the moment was not doing anything special last couple years, lately has been winning everthing, but sadly he is about to run out a special lot number be interesting to see how things go at next nationals because he should have just about run out of the good stuff after NZ.
[quote][/quote]

If this is the same junior shooter I heard that he has just purchased 3 cases of the new ELEY and this stuff shoots a lot better then the batch he used at the nationals in May, so he is set for another couple of years, Has this young shooter got a name and might have to google his name and see.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

I may be wrong as well but if it's who I think it is he has done well at just about everything that he has had a shot at and he dont use rimfire ammo in his centrefire :lol:....................he is wise beyond his years.......................and can read a flag :).

Regards Chris
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Harold,

Couldn't help yourself could you!!!!!!!!!!

Now they all know.

Shakin' in my boots
Steve
jimbo
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 6 PPC

Post by jimbo »

Well, if you read the next Australian Shooter (July), you will see a full story done on the young fella.
native hunter
.270 Winchester

Post by native hunter »

G"Day All
While on the subject of barrels,What is the life expectency of an accurate custom barrel.??
Now what Im asking is if a barrel is performing to its peak,at what time in shots fired will it decrease in accuracy.??
Just to get the ball rolling,I was told as little as 10,000 shots could see a custom barrel loose its edge.!!
What do you think.??
Regards
Native
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

Damien of this I have no idea and can only relate what I have heard from others,I noted on one of the US forums some time back that this question was asked and an Aussie bloke spoke of certain ammo wearing the barrel quicker than others due to the priming compound having crushed glass in it.
I will try and remember who,what,where and post it here,was interesting at the very least.

Regards Chris.
native hunter
.270 Winchester

Post by native hunter »

Cris,
Funny you should say that as I had a look down the barrel of my new anschutz with a bore scope on the weekend and seen first hand what glass in the primer compound does to barrels.
Regards
Native
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

If I recall correctly Glass is now used by all manufacturers of ammunition, previously they used Mercury, however, an alternate substance was required for Health and Environmental reasons.

The Glass is the gritty feeling that you can feel on a used patch after cleaning.

I could just imagine what a barrel would like like after 10,000 rounds with a build up of molten slag.

Regards

Sean
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Sean Ambrose wrote:If I recall correctly Glass is now used by all manufacturers of ammunition.......The Glass is the gritty feeling that you can feel on a used patch after cleaning.
Gee, I just keep learning stuff from this forum....
Sean Ambrose wrote: ....why some people remove the lubrication and wax prior to firing....
Yeah, guilty as charged. I give the waxy breeds of ammo a quick wipe with a cloth. It might be in my head, but I reckon it extends (maybe doubles) the time between cleaning the barrel before it starts to spray.
And yeah, I know there are some rimfire barrels out there that shoot fine without a clean from one year to the next, but I'm afraid that is not my experience.

Great thread this, very interesting stuff.

cheers, curan.
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Merrill Martin back in the late 90s came up with a way of removing the residue left behind after a rimfire was discharged. It was a small scale receiver that held compressed gas to expel residue after the bullet had left the bore. This method was later also trialled to time the bullet exit so ammo could be tuned, or rather, the pressure time curve could be tuned to suite the barrel. Both have long gone but with modern knowledge could be revisited. I would sooner undergo a course in self dentistry.
SnipeWench
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .50cal

Post by SnipeWench »

curan wrote:
Sean Ambrose wrote:If I recall correctly Glass is now used by all manufacturers of ammunition.......The Glass is the gritty feeling that you can feel on a used patch after cleaning.
Gee, I just keep learning stuff from this forum....
The above suggests to me that cleaning the rifle straight after shooting is better than getting it home and cleaning it later. Gives the glass particles less chance to cool down and "slag", making it harder to clean/scrub out.

I agree, interesting stuff! Didn't know the primer compound included glass!
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Tony Z wrote:.........I would sooner undergo a course in self dentistry............
:lol: :lol: :lol:

But from what I understand, isn't that the exact sort of pain tolerance you need to shoot rimfire BR?

(well, ..... judging by the scores, maybe not for you snipewench, but certainly for some of us other mere mortals) :wink:

cheers, curan