A love affair/I have fallen in love again

Talk about your Varmint Rifles and other firearms here!
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

A love affair/I have fallen in love again

Post by MISSED »

When I was 16 my Dad gave me his Annie 22 Hornet I can not remember the model number but it was built on the match 54 action Like all young Aussie males I wanted something faster thats when a 22-250 appeared on the scene.That was 25 ummm mmmm hang on 35 years ago.And just recently another has appeared in the gun safe this one is a BRNO ZKW 465 with twin set triggers.I fitted up a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9x40 in Ron Gouldings mounts.
I took a stab at a powder charge for the 33 grn Speer Hollow points as I failed to find any load data using Winchester 296 with these little pills.All good with the sighting in and the first few victims expired rather nicely.Which brings me to this afternoon I got home early enough for a short sojurn with James 270.James had his Rugged 204 and I grabbed my Sako 22-250 and Sako 222 as well as the HORNET. First up was a stop of at a warren system at 225m to 185m (it really is that big)James smeared the first with a 32 grn BT and I MISSED a sitter at 220m.We then went truck hunting because the Red Grass made it impossible to see Bunnies unless they were at the burrows and even there the patto and flannel hide quiet a few.This is where the HORNET came into its own with the shots that presented all under 175m.
The Hornet has the distinction of being the first recognised Varmint cartridge and it fairly rose to the occasion today.With James having taken 2 shots with it before today proceded to regularly head shoot bunnies out to and beyond 100m with his first being the most memorable at 120m I was watching the shot through a pair of Nikon Monarch 8x42 Bino`s and witnessed the little 33 grner mist mr bunnies cranium.It was a short but action filled couple of hours especially mountain climbing the Ford patrol with James dismounting and walking back down muttering something along the lines of stupid B@#$%^d.
Tally for the day was
22 Hornet 20
204 4
22-250 0
222 unfired
I have looked into my crystal ball and can see a Hornet residing in James270`s safe one day fairly soon.
adamjp
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 30/06

Re: A love affair/I have fallen in love again

Post by adamjp »

Maybe we should have a Hornets only drive in the country?
James270
His Holiness
Favourite Cartridge: 270W

Post by James270 »

MISSED wrote:I have looked into my crystal ball and can see a Hornet residing in James270`s safe one day fairly soon.
Like I said mate, a hornet would make a great first centrefire for the young bloke. If I get him one now I should be able to have it shooting fairly well by the time he gets his minors permit in 2018 :lol:
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

I have looked into my crystal ball and can see a Hornet residing in James270`s safe one day fairly soon.
Have another look, can you see a new camera? we need pictures, you could be tricking us. On a more serious note, glad the hornet is doing what you want it too. There is a lot of satisfaction in using or reconditioning an older calibre, especially when it has an emotional or family connection. :wink:
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

adamjp wrote:Maybe we should have a Hornets only drive in the country?
Hmmm sounds interesting will we be Elitists or can these "others" tag along.

That would be alright James it can sit on the backseat beside the Native rifle you acquired for the young bloke.

Steve the computer and camera are not on talking terms at the minute.I have resurrected the older obsolete model and it is a pain I can not use the emicons.And have taken a heap of photo`s of dead soft and cuddlies with there bodies shattered from the shear power of the impact.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

bugger :roll:
johnty
Favourite Cartridge: 223 & 6.5x47L

Post by johnty »

missed,

not 100% sure but i think win 296 is the same as H110.... i loaded some hornets for the old man's krico using same data as h110 and it seemed fine...

Johnty
James270
His Holiness

Post by James270 »

MISSED wrote:Steve the computer and camera are not on talking terms at the minute.
You had better bring the camera around and we will see if it will talk to my laptop. The people have spoken and they want photos.
dhv
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22LR

Post by dhv »

Here's an idea, a Hornet only shoot off somewhere when we have the get together in when the next ACT Fly shoot is on???
Dary

Post by Dary »

Great story, I like my Hornet's, too.

The following reloading data is from the #14 Speer Reloading Manual.

22 Hornet
33 gr Speer TNT HP, Winchester Brass, CCI 500 Primer
Test Firearm: Krico Target, 24 inch barrel

Winchester 296 powder:

start charge // muzzle velocity (fps) maximum charge // muzzle velocity (fps)

12.4 grs. // 3054 12.8 grs. // 3217
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

dhv wrote:Here's an idea, a Hornet only shoot off somewhere when we have the get together in when the next ACT Fly shoot is on???
Now THAT is a cracker of an idea. 150m to keep it honest?
Attachments
35gn Hornady VMAX @ 100m.
35gn Hornady VMAX @ 100m.
Fraser 22K.jpg
My Daniel Fraser 22K Hornet
6lb with scope.
(48.25 KiB) Downloaded 171 times
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

What about a Small Banger shoot.
James270
His Holiness

Post by James270 »

MISSED wrote:I have resurrected the older obsolete model and it is a pain I can not use the emicons.
Older model is not wrong mate. When I was around this arvo I was wondering where to put the vacuum valves and the punch cards :lol:
adamjp
.270 Winchester

Post by adamjp »

MISSED wrote:What about a Small Banger shoot.
I've spent the afternoon trying to work out how to build a good 'varmit' postal shoot that handicaps rifles correctly.

Factors I'm looking at are:
Muzzle Velocity,
Bullet Weight,
Bore Size,
Rifle Weight, and
Scope Magnification.

I have not come up with a workable formula yet, but the intent is to have a stock standard 22 shooting at 80m, a 22/250 heavy varmiter at 350m. A Hornet would be at around 130m.

Bipods or sandbags only, no tell-tales or wind flags, no rear rest. Sitting, standing or prone position OK.

All targets a life size bunny paper. Five rounds, all shots for score.

Any thoughts?
James270
His Holiness

Post by James270 »

Sounds good Adam, will there be a differential between head and body shots, or just a single scoring ring?

I like MISSED's idea of an AV Small Banger shoot. I reckon it would be a great way to bring like minded individuals together purely for the sake of having a good time.