townsville 550yd Match- 3 July 2010

Benchrest, F-class, Metallic Silhouette, Handgun Shooting and anything other form of target shooting!
albow
.257 Roberts

townsville 550yd Match- 3 July 2010

Post by albow »

Hi All

Today saw the July 550yd match shot in Townsville with only seven shooters.

The conditions were fair to reasonable with the tricky south westerly early on and then when the breeze swung around to the east the mirage started to kick in for the latter half of the day.

As far as results there were two new range records set today being both small group and for the day agg with both going to Tony Z. For the small group he knocked together a very nice little 0.955" group with a number of other very nice groups to follow to provide a day agg of 1.946" which is the smallest we've had shot and first one under 2" in single day. Great effort Tony!!

Bob Mulder joined us from Mackay for the first time in quite a while and shot a very good 198 to win LG score for the day. Well done Bob and you will have to come back again next month :)

Jeff Harrison was the only heavy gun for the day and the full results are available in the results section.
Ian D
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm jacko

Re: townsville 550yd Match- 3 July 2010

Post by Ian D »

congratulations to tony,

on his small group and agg. Townsville range records.
Great shooting tony!

Ian D
macca
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 308/6br

Post by macca »

Congrats to all.
Jeez that 6br is one hot little rifle at the moment Tony. :D
cheers,
Macca
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

hadnt Tony announced he was retiring and taking up golf?
steven
.222 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6ppc

Post by steven »

Yeah Trev I remember that...I think those inbreed genes kick in every so often...he used to knock the pop gun once but never again.

Steve
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

You are right Trev, it was to move onto archery though, which i have done and have sold all but a couple of rifles and am currently building an new HG. The only reason i came back was because of the postals with the Virginia club which i reckon is a great thing. This is my first ever full tilt concentrating on a LG and i chose to go with the BR so as to give it a fair go at what it is capable of. The yanks have been able to do it, the results here in Aus were mixed so i thought i would see for myself and come out of the 30 cal shelter for a season. The question is that i have a great 30 cal, a real hammer and i do wonder what it may have done so far this 1K season. That will be next year when i run both HG and LG 30 cals.

The 550 as always with me has been used to develop a good working load for the 1K. Each load shot yesterday had a slight variation of seating depth and powder charge, as well as another bullet brand to replace that great little batch of SMKs once they are gone. Found a great batch of Lapua this time. Interesting thing is that another batch of SMKs that measured reasonably well shot a 6 inch agg last month with a group at 8 inches in conditions that were not all that different from yesterday. They were the short Sierras that measure 1.225 average OAL. I did trial another stock at that time but doubt it was the culprit for such a large agg as i have never had a good result with the short SMK. Something dynamically different for me with the reamer i use i guess, but others seem to get them to work. I give up on them, but see the newer batches have gone back to the 1.250-1.260 length. These i will trial soon. Fact is that bullets that don't measure well just flat don't shoot in this gun. This is about the bullets and little to do with the rifle which i know is good and a known quantity with the other barrels i have for it. Obviously the stock 6BR has special attributes and is the only testbed i would use to trial 6mm bullets.

Anyway here is a pic of the group. Any suggestions on how to close up the vertical? :mrgreen:
Attachments
550SG.JPG
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

concentrate more :P
Wiz
.17 HMR

Post by Wiz »

Learn to shoot and stop steering the gun :shock:

Well shot Zman!
dg
25/06 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 lapua

Post by dg »

Tony Z

well done

that 6mm BR is something special!! ( the pilot ain't half bad either :D :D )

cheers
dave g
Aussie_bob
Favourite Cartridge: 30BR

Post by Aussie_bob »

Just though i might post a pic as well of another popgun target pity i lost the shot out to the left but thats what ya get for not paing attention to the wind change. This was first time this rifle has been shot at more than 300m
Attachments
First time shot at 550yards
First time shot at 550yards