Moly or Naked

Discuss all aspects of Ammunition and Reloading here.
Tasco

Moly or Naked

Post by Tasco »

Ha guys, I am just about to pick up my 6.5mm BR for silhouette and am going to use 108gr Scenar projectiles. I am unsure if to go Moly coated or not. I know you are suppost to get higher velocities with lower pressure signs and all the other hype that goes with it, but I wanted to know if any one is actually using them and what experiances they had with them, good or bad.

Thanks
Rob
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Post by malcolm »

I think you will find most of the benchrest boys have turned away from moly. Apparently it was the bees knees when it first appeared a few years ago, until guys tried keeping the barrels clean.
I used to have earthmoving machinery, excavators with hammers, and moly grease was the in thing. A couple of years later, the largest hydraulic hammer producer in the world, a German firm that also made cannons in WW2 and still makes barrels today,----sent out a factory circular, not to use moly grease in it's hammers as they suspected moly was an abrasive.
Food for thought
Malcolm
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

I like moly :D a bit higher velocity and longer between cleaning intervals......works for me 8)

Malcolm...ya sure that wasn't graphite grease they were talking about with the machinery?

KY
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6PPC

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day All,
I have used moly for years in BR, Hunting and more recently in F class, I have no problem with it, it doesn't appear to effect accuracy. I suspect in BR there may be an slight advantage to shoot bare bullets, but the down side is a more frequent cleaning regime to retain that slight edge in accuracy and higher risk of barrel damage from the extra cleaning.

I can go a full yardage of up to 50rds with my 6ppc, but a moly coated short stubby bullet probably doesn't cause as much copper fouling compared to a VLD bullet for long range shooting. I do prefer the more relaxed shoot when using moly as opposed to cleaning, reloading etc between matches with bare bullets, basically I want to enjoy the shoot too.

Only testing will see how many moly VLD's you can shoot before fouling makes a significant effect on your level of acceptable accuracy for targets/varmints.

Either way I treat the load developement of each bullet exactly the same regardless of whether it is coated or not

I have noted that I've ruined more groups by misreading the wind than whether I've used moly or not on my bullets. I hope this helps!

Cheerio Ned
Kenny
6mm Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 6mmPPC

Post by Kenny »

I have noted that I've ruined more groups by misreading the wind than whether I've used moly or not on my bullets. I hope this helps!
You are not alone there Ned :lol: in fact I have perfected the technique :lol: :lol:

Hey we never had that sherbert at Lil' River neither :roll: interested in coming up for the State shoots ?

KY
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'Day kenny,
yeah I'm looking good for time off work, so I'll see how we go. It's LV/HV on 4-5th Aug at Silverdale isn't it? Any recommendations for motels caravan parks etc around Silverdale?
Cheerio Ned
malcolm
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 35 Whelan

Post by malcolm »

Kenny, I'll go to my shed and read the label. I'm sure it was molybedium dishulphide.
Malcolm
Tasco

Post by Tasco »

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I will give them a go and see what they do.
kurcha
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 338 edge

Post by kurcha »

what ive read not long ago that molly are better for long range, but barrel should be clean from coper fouling before setling barrel in for mollys,cleaning is different from coper,needs abrasives , once rifle starts grouping one shot of coper will ruine evrything

:(
alpal
.17 HMR

Post by alpal »

There used to be a product called graphite grease that was made by molybond, which may be what malcolm is alluding to. Was great for lapping in diffs and gears in the race and rally cars I was into then.
Really good stuff I thought.
Regards Alpal
jonutarr

Post by jonutarr »

http://www.aushunt.com.au/main/mainarti ... 711dc73fbe

An excellent write up on molly coating :wink:
a.JR
6mm Dasher
Favourite Cartridge: 30cal

Experience!

Post by a.JR »

If
Last edited by a.JR on Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Plasmaboy_AU
Favourite Cartridge: 6x47 Lapua

another option

Post by Plasmaboy_AU »

Another option worth trying is tungsten disulphide. Its in the same chemical family as molybdenum disulphide .. but has a higher temperature rating and pressure yield point .. Aprox 300 K psi where Moly has around 250k psi. Tungsten disulphide also does not " build up on itself " so you don't get moly fouling . I switched to tungsten from moly about 6 months ago and don't see any down side so far . I apply it in the same way as I did Moly but found the Tungsten doesn't rub off as much as the moly did ( moly build up while tumbling the projectiles ? )
Mick
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 105mm

Post by Mick »

Some of the best LR and regular BR shooters in the world use coated bullets. Several records have been set using coated bullets. It really depends on what your rifle likes.

Personally, I've never had any problem with coated bullets. Has made cleaning easier, and I've never had a problem getting the moly out of the barrel if I have wanted to. Give it a bash and see if your rifle likes it, and decide from there.
Ned Kelly
.270 Winchester

Post by Ned Kelly »

G'day all,
there are still a few BR shooters using moly and as I said its a matter of balance between cleaning and accuracy and I believe the elliots still use moly and they are always very tough competitors who usually place well into the top 10. Down south where we get southerlys direct from Antartica you dont notice the accuracy difference when your holding off the paper at 200 just to keep them near the centre!

You still need to keep the same cleaning regime as naked bullets, but can go around 50rounds out of a 6 ppc before cleaning. No barrel will shoot if it is not clean. But like a.JR says, a short bearing surface area on a bullet combined with long barrels (like my old 22-250 & 53SMK and 26" barrel) will lay down copper near the muzzle, simply because you cannot get enough moly laid down on the barrel interior surface to do any good. But the ol' 22-250 still shot around 0.7moa after 50 rounds.

For the ppc, I think the moly has a lot going for it and in F class my .223 26" truflite barrel with moly 75amax's still shoots competitively after 40 rounds. I like it and will continue to use it.

However, if I was going to make a try to be in the Australian BR team for a world championships, I would not be using it as I think there is a very slight degradation in accuracy and would not want to compromise my chances but then I would need to vastly improve my wind reading skills too!

This drop off in accuracy is much more noticeable at the longer distances that a.JR shoots so, you can see why he doesn't use it. At 100/200/300 and even 600yds, I think it is not worth worrying about in F class but would reconsider if shooting LR BR.

Cheerio Ned