Buying a Chainsaw from the USA

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Buying a Chainsaw from the USA

Post by kjd »

Has anyone imported a chainsaw from the US how'd you get it over here?

It's amazing that something like an MS 261 is $761AU vs $1400 over here. Just crazy.
Con
.308 Winchester

Re: Buying a Chainsaw from the USA

Post by Con »

Don't bother ... more hurdles than you can throw a stick out. The Australia Tax protects its own. :lol:

Check specifications and tune levels as well, US market is stronger on emissions than us, though that's about to change here.

Cheers...
Con
Timmo84
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Timmo84 »

I'm sure tackleberry has.

Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Con wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:29 pm Don't bother ... more hurdles than you can throw a stick out. The Australia Tax protects its own. :lol:

Check specifications and tune levels as well, US market is stronger on emissions than us, though that's about to change here.

Cheers...
Con
Agreed! If it's 2 stroke it'll probably have a catalytic converter on it.

Last I heard 2-stroke anything is basically dead due to emission laws...
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

The Raven wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:50 pm
Con wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:29 pm Don't bother ... more hurdles than you can throw a stick out. The Australia Tax protects its own. :lol:

Cheers...
Con

Really? I don't even think there's a 4 stroke Chainsaw on the market that isn't a pole saw.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

kjd wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:55 pm
The Raven wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:50 pm

Cheers...
Con

Really? I don't even think there's a 4 stroke Chainsaw on the market that isn't a pole saw.
Been a while since I checked what the US was doing with 2-strokes but just about every engine manufacturer was going EFI, catalytic converters, and/or dropping 2 strokes.

I even have a 4 stroke B&S whipper snipper engine that I imported from the US....because I wanted the engine for a project.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

I know there's plenty of 4 stroke small engines, my old man has had a 4x Honda weed eater for 15 years but I've not seen a chainsaw with a 4 stroke engine, not even one of those 4mix engines that I know of.

Chainsaws are a different beast to whipper snippers and blowers so I can't see them changing but then again I am noticing a big push for battery operated tools inc saws so who knows but damn what a drag it would be having to use battery operated chainsaws.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

There was a bloke on eBay that imported them a while back. They were a fair bit cheaper but then you have the warranty dilemma. That said I bought my 024 24 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. 2 airfilters, 12 chains and 2 bars later and still on the original piston, rings and plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

kickinback wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:20 pm There was a bloke on eBay that imported them a while back. They were a fair bit cheaper but then you have the warranty dilemma. That said I bought my 024 24 years ago and it hasn't missed a beat. 2 airfilters, 12 chains and 2 bars later and still on the original piston, rings and plug.

I have an 024 AV it's a damn good saw but my wood cutting is going to increase a fair bit when we move down south.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Go straight to a 30something then.

johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

Keith, Have a look at a mob in Melbourne called arbourmaster, ive dealt with them on several occasions and can't recomend them highly enough.

Last purchase was a husky 355 rancher, they were on special at husky dealers for $1.140.00 from memory. This mob have ex training saw so I took the chance paid $850.00 plus they threw in a an extra chain. You could only pick it from new because of marks on the bar. The saw has'nt missed a beat.

Johno
dashooter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Wby Magnum's :)

Post by dashooter »

Dare I suggest it? Gumtree.
Have a look, there's some nice huskies there at reasonable prices.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

kjd wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:45 pm I know there's plenty of 4 stroke small engines, my old man has had a 4x Honda weed eater for 15 years but I've not seen a chainsaw with a 4 stroke engine, not even one of those 4mix engines that I know of.

Chainsaws are a different beast to whipper snippers and blowers so I can't see them changing but then again I am noticing a big push for battery operated tools inc saws so who knows but damn what a drag it would be having to use battery operated chainsaws.
You are right Keith, they still do a lot of small 2-stroke engines in the US. For vehicles (boats and motorcycles etc) it's pretty much all 4 stroke now. Not sure on 'small engine' stuff like lawnmowers as I can't recall seeing a 2 stroke for sale in a long time (and haven't bothered to look). Things like chainsaws are another story...2 stroke seems to be the only cost-effective way to get the power required.

The move to battery power is obvious, better battery technology and lower prices. Gas powered yard tools are a pain with the US mandated ethanol content as it wreaks havoc on carb seals/gaskets (even alcohol specific ones), and we all know how pissed off we get when the mower or whipper snipper won't start...

Battery powered chainsaw? Excluding the home handyman style stuff, a good LiPo battery could produce enough power but it probably wouldn't run for long (15minutes perhaps) and it would cost more than a gas powered chainsaw.
Gadge
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: .270Win

Post by Gadge »

There are a couple of good threads about US imports of Outdoor Power Equipment [OPE] on this 'pro lawnie' forum; by 'Arfa Brayne' :lol: in particular. http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/forum ... e5c6f47d91

I'm just a lurker there; as I'm not in the OPE game these days [except as a domestic user and sometime repairer], which is required to join that forum.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Gadge wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:44 am There are a couple of good threads about US imports of Outdoor Power Equipment [OPE] on this 'pro lawnie' forum; by 'Arfa Brayne' :lol: in particular. http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/forum ... e5c6f47d91

I'm just a lurker there; as I'm not in the OPE game these days [except as a domestic user and sometime repairer], which is required to join that forum.
Thanks for that mate!