Seriously? Ban on Butane Burners

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I've used mine a fair bit and never had an issue.. Is this a serious threat or more nanny state garbage?
http://www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au/ftw/A ... utane.page
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Re: Seriously? Ban on Butane Burners

Post by bigfellascott »

I hope we can still get the gas cans! I love using mine, very handy for a cook up whilst spotlighting. :D
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

I saw one catch on fire once..Never really been a fan since.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

There must be around 77 million of these things out there in the Australian community, have been available for how many years, would have to be ten or 15 at least. I have two that I use quite regularly. Only troubles I have found is they stop working when its really cold, that's a piss off when making a cup of coffee early in the morning in winter.

I wonder how come it took them so long to find a fault ? Surely there would have had to be testing and approval by the various industry safety bodies ? I would imagine if there was a big problem the whole of the country would have jumped on them by now.

How many have blown up, I think if there has been a problem with them, wouldn't the news media be doing their usual hand wringing scare campaign by now ?

Fence sitting here, will see what happens before I chuck mine, they are just so bloody useful it would be a shame to chuck them out all because of some perceived fault, that may have the possibility of a chance to somehow cause a problem.
Chrispy
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: 221 Furball

Post by Chrispy »

I used one on my last spotlighting trip. Worked ok. But I just bought the canisters for a butane annealing torch that I bought. Might be time to stock up, maybe the canisters will be super cheap!!

Chrispy
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

This is all a big knee jerk reaction to some dumb fu$&rs placing large pans, trays etc that cover the entire unit. If you use a pot, pan etc that does not protrude past the edge of the cooking burner area and not over the gas can storage area you will not have an issue. Unfortunately the powers to be can only accommodate for the lowest of the gene pool and drag everyone else in by default.

*edited for clarity
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Thanks Kicken, I was wondering where the problem lay.

Another theory I was mulling over was that by banning these critters that so many people use regularly with no dramas, was that it would be a good way to stimulate the economy. If they all have to be replaced and the replacement article is just a smidgin more expensive, but "Safer", just imagine how much extra loot would flow through the registers.

Is this theory too far out or tin foil hattish ?

As an aside, I rang my mate the Bidgee Barbie man this am after seeing this, as I knew he used them when doing his demonstrations, and told him about the banning of them. He explained that this is nothing new, Victoria has had a ban on their use in any Public Display area for a few years now. And even though the shows that he does are not technically Public, but private run operations, it was explained to him, that there is a clause in various acts of parliament, "For the purposes of the ACT", it can be deemed a public place by whoever is enforcing the act.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Here you go Camel,
I even got you a modern design:

Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

AWWWWW Gee, thanks Keith, I knew I could rely on you to supply me with one from your collection. :lol: Does that style clash with your dresses ? :shock:
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

Camel wrote:There must be around 77 million of these things out there in the Australian community, have been available for how many years, would have to be ten or 15 at least. I have two that I use quite regularly. Only troubles I have found is they stop working when its really cold, that's a piss off when making a cup of coffee early in the morning in winter.
Yeah, that is a massive downfall of them. Once the can starts icing up they become bloody useless. Had to store the cans in the ute in tassie, and take one into the swag at night or there was no coffee in the morning, just semi warm water after 15 minutes.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

GriMo wrote:
Camel wrote:There must be around 77 million of these things out there in the Australian community, have been available for how many years, would have to be ten or 15 at least. I have two that I use quite regularly. Only troubles I have found is they stop working when its really cold, that's a piss off when making a cup of coffee early in the morning in winter.
Yeah, that is a massive downfall of them. Once the can starts icing up they become bloody useless. Had to store the cans in the ute in tassie, and take one into the swag at night or there was no coffee in the morning, just semi warm water after 15 minutes.
On one of the missedathons we had to keep swapping the cylinders over and put the cold one into the water we were trying to boil :)
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Camel wrote:AWWWWW Gee, thanks Keith, I knew I could rely on you to supply me with one from your collection. :lol: Does that style clash with your dresses ? :shock:
Good call I'll pay that! :lol:
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by lowndsie »

I believe you need to use a butane/propane mix for colder climates. I'm not sure if you can get them for those burners but you can for the hiking/backpacking ones.
Knackers
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .223

Post by Knackers »

I've been using these for 15 years without a problem, first one cost me $65 and now they are around $15-20, $10 for 10 canisters atm at BCF, these cookers made life on the farm much more enjoyable at smoko and lunch, like my mate said, heat and butter makes a sandwich a lot nicer on a cold winter day. :wink:
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

CRV (Controlled Release Valve) Canisters are the go with these - got some the other week at BCF for $7 for 6 cans I think it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVwOrk1vl5Y