5 Trout in 50min

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

5 Trout in 50min

Post by 220 »

Finally got a day with not to many work commitments and managed to head up the farm for a few hours mid morning.
Havent had a chance to get up there since before trout season opened. The last few years have been slow on the fishing front, very few fish and those that were about were under 20cm.
The season before the last 2 was a cracker, plenty of legal sized fish, a few times I caught the bag limit in an hour or less. Even managed to catch 5 fish without moving position on one small hole, only one that was legal size but still an achievement for a small stream you can jump across in places.

Started fishing at 11.30 today by 12.20 I had landed 5 little browns all in the 20-30cm range. Lost nearly as many and had plenty of smaller fish chase the lure without having a go. Fished for another hour and landed another 3 including a 35cm rainbow. Lost more than double that and again plenty of smaller fish chasing but not having a go at the lure.
For 2 hours fishing I ended up landing 8, lost over a dozen had around 20 more hit the lure without hooking up and I lost count of the number of smaller fish chasing.
Looks like it should be a good season, hopefully next year even better with them having put on a little more size.

Ended up bringing the last brown caught home as he had inhaled the lure and I doubt he would have survived my removing it the other 7 all swam happily away to be caught another day.

a couple of the little browns
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: 5 Trout in 50min

Post by Camel »

That's pretty good going mate. Haven't seen you around much so I figured you must have been pretty busy. Tell me one thing, Do you ever take that bloody blue jumper off ? :lol: :lol: I don't reckon I would recognise you without it on. :twisted:
.270 Winchester

Post by 220 »

:lol: got a few of them, I get them cheap from the local newsagent :lol:

Been at the mill since just after yass, 91hrs last week so not a lot of time for anything but eating and sleeping but have to take the work when its available.

bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Nice one mate, what lures you been using on them?
Space Cadet
.17 HMR

Post by Space Cadet »

Lovely trout!
.270 Winchester

Post by 220 »

bigfellascott wrote:Nice one mate, what lures you been using on them?
Flicking little celtas, only used one yesterday, they kept hitting it so I kept using it, silver blade with a bit of yellow and a few black and red spots.
Have been toying with the idea of a get together, camping/fishing weekend but the way the fishing has been the last few years haven't worried.
Bit hard to get anything organised before Christmas but 10/11 or 17/18 January should be doable if anyone is interested.
Bit warm that time of year but usually 5 degrees cooler up the farm than down here so probably only looking at mid 30s if we are in a hot spell.
Wont be a lot of shooting opportunity although we should be able to set up a range, for anyone has a R-licence there is access to about 50000ha state forest through the back gates.
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

I am in

Lovely fish 220
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

220 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Nice one mate, what lures you been using on them?
Flicking little celtas, only used one yesterday, they kept hitting it so I kept using it, silver blade with a bit of yellow and a few black and red spots.
Have been toying with the idea of a get together, camping/fishing weekend but the way the fishing has been the last few years haven't worried.
Bit hard to get anything organised before Christmas but 10/11 or 17/18 January should be doable if anyone is interested.
Bit warm that time of year but usually 5 degrees cooler up the farm than down here so probably only looking at mid 30s if we are in a hot spell.
Wont be a lot of shooting opportunity although we should be able to set up a range, for anyone has a R-licence there is access to about 50000ha state forest through the back gates.
Thanks for that mate, the little Celta's go alright on Trout. I should pull my finger out and have a cast in a few rivers around my joint, not that I can walk far but there are still a few spots that I might be able to access for a bit of a cast.

Nice offer too by the way.
Ackley Improved
6mm Dasher

Post by Ackley Improved »

Count me in... if Im not working!
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Scott you really need to check out the Junction of the Abercrombie and Isabella rivers there was some good fishing to be had
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

Pick me, the 17/18 would be perfect, we can celebrate Christmas and New Year at the same time. :lol:
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

MISSED wrote:Scott you really need to check out the Junction of the Abercrombie and Isabella rivers there was some good fishing to be had
Someone else mentioned that spot to me a while back, is it easy access? the ol knees aren't up to any hard going anymore.
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

You were able to drive right down to the junction and then it is an easy wonder around for a bit.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

MISSED wrote:You were able to drive right down to the junction and then it is an easy wonder around for a bit.
Sounds good mate, I'm too rooted now to do any real physical stuff.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

MISSED wrote:You were able to drive right down to the junction and then it is an easy wonder around for a bit.
Sounds good mate, I'm too rooted now to do any real physical stuff.