CB Radio Advice please.

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
hobbygodz
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 12g

CB Radio Advice please.

Post by hobbygodz »

Howdy fellas, I'm looking to purchase a cb radio for the vehicle. It's been a long time since I've owned a cb but I do remember uniden was the go in the day. Also remember requiring a licence to use cb at some point. Possibly looking at a Uniden UH8060NB or UH7760NB. I do like all the controls being on the mic and the minimal size of the modern units. Antenna will be roof rack mounted and I guess would be of the base loaded type. Any advice re cb and antenna would be much appreciated.
Cheers guys, Brad.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

CB Radio Advice please.

Post by kickinback »

No license required. Icom, gme both have a model with controls on the mic. The icom model # is IC-440 from memory.
Timmo84
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: CB Radio Advice please.

Post by Timmo84 »

Icom are extremely good quality as are the gme units. I can't say anything about the uniden as I've never owned one and I don't know of anyone that has one. I have the gme base model(3200 and a 3220) in our own cars and can never fault them always reliable. A good aerial is vital but I'm not As clued up on all that as others on this site. But I've always had good results with the gme branded aerials

6Tim
fallingblock
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22lr

Post by fallingblock »

80 channels is the standard now.

Google Prestige communications in Perth for a good price.

I have an Icom 440. Controls in mike head, unit under dash was about $400.
kickinback
50 BMG

Post by kickinback »

As far as aeriels go I like RFI. Made just down the road and spare parts are available.
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

If you like remote controls gme now has a bluetooth type device that attaches to your steering wheel, what are they like? No idea I have icom and will prob buy icom again
hobbygodz
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 12g

Post by hobbygodz »

Thanks for your replies fellas. Nice to see the GME is made in Australia. I'm thinking the TX3345 looks pretty good. Cheers all :D , Brad.
aaronraad
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: Solid head brass :)

Post by aaronraad »

I know they're handheld but I've received excellent service from Peter (fdpradios@gmail.com) at FDP Radios (Harvey Bay, Qld).

The accessories they offer seem to make them reasonably flexible for an in-car application?

I got mine (x2) last month. Peter was offering a discount ($105+GST for the 5W hand unit itself) to SSAA members at the time, but you'd have to check with him if that is still current.
VARMTR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22250 & 22KH

Post by VARMTR »

I have the older Icom the 400Pro excellent radio and programmable as well. Alas all 80 channels plus extra private ones and the output had been tickled up to 5w.
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

VARMTR wrote:I have the older Icom the 400Pro excellent radio and programmable as well. Alas all 80 channels plus extra private ones and the output had been tickled up to 25w.
Someone will be along shortly to remind you that 25w is not exactly legal unless you have a licence/permit and that you should not advertise it on a public forum without mentioning your paperwork
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I'm here to remind you that 25w is not exactly legal unless you have a licence/permit and that you should not advertise it on a public forum without mentioning your paperwork.

:lol:
kickinback
50 BMG

Post by kickinback »

VARMTR wrote:I have the older Icom the 400Pro excellent radio and programmable as well. Alas all 80 channels plus extra private ones and the output had been tickled up to 25w.

Bad bad bad.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

The Raven wrote:I'm here to remind you that 25w is not exactly legal unless you have a licence/permit and that you should not advertise it on a public forum without mentioning your paperwork.
And I am here to remind you that you cannot get "paperwork" that would allow you to use that radio on that band.

Whilst they have bigger fish to fry, the ACMA does take a dim view of such things.
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

Post by Tackleberry »

Rabbitz wrote:
The Raven wrote:I'm here to remind you that 25w is not exactly legal unless you have a licence/permit and that you should not advertise it on a public forum without mentioning your paperwork.
And I am here to remind you that you cannot get "paperwork" that would allow you to use that radio on that band.

Whilst they have bigger fish to fry, the ACMA does take a dim view of such things.
ya coulda fooled me they don't give a rats arse about the chooka band there to busy

hassle'n us hams to worry about 477 meg 27 meg.

i had a very informative conversation with a bloke from the ACMA for 45mns one night

up here in Bairnsdale , he was up here on tracking duties and even had a ex

mil Doppler tracking system and was surprised i even knew what it was and even more

surprised to learn that we had been using one for years to track and shut down smart arse

chook banders .