How do you guys rate Mitsubishi Tritons?

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

How do you guys rate Mitsubishi Tritons?

Post by kjd »

How do you guys rate the new ones?

Is the 4 speed Auto a problem?
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Re: How do you guys rate Mitsubishi Tritons?

Post by bimbo »

Other than farken ugly :stir:
I drove a hire one from Newcastle to Brisbane and back and it seemed ok - 2.5L? turbo diesel manual. We have TD ford rangers as work cars 4x2 and 4x4 and I reckon they drive much better than the triton did. Don't know much else about them though as far as problems etc. They have been around for quite some time now so there should be plenty of info and guys that have experience with them.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

If towing with a decent ball weight the chassis had a habit of collapsing behind the rear spring hanger.
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

We break them out our way, not as frequently as Navarra's but frequent enough to justify the extra cost of Hiluxes.

Endless km of corrugations kill most vehicles eventually
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

Dr G wrote:We break them out our way, not as frequently as Navarra's but frequent enough to justify the extra cost of Hiluxes.

Endless km of corrugations kill most vehicles eventually
get a cruiser 8)

On a serious note, is it me, or are 4wd's not built like they used to be? at all, my old Ln is better in the wet than my old mans fuckingshitboxheapofshit known as a navara, as is my kzn165 too... and hold up against corrugations better, seem like glorified shopping carts nowaday
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

Heavy on fuel, wallows, needs a suspension upgrade ... dated design. But currently cheap, their faults are well known and solutions available.
Cheers...
Con
Timmo84
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Timmo84 »

I think your right Jacko. Is it the manufacturers make the components cheaper/ lighter?
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Jacko9 wrote: On a serious note, is it me, or are 4wd's not built like they used to be? at all, my old Ln is better in the wet than my old mans fuckingshitboxheapofshit known as a navara, as is my kzn165 too... and hold up against corrugations better, seem like glorified shopping carts nowaday
We have a fleet of last years Hiluxes at work.

The Hilux's are nice to drive, however, I wouldn't lean on one. The vehicles we have at work the panels are all warped and this is from people leaning on them. I wouldn't like to see one in a prang.

We also have a few Tritons about and I had one for two days the other week. From what I recall they're wheelbase is less in width than the Hilux.

They also seem to be made on the cheap.

I've just spent the last few months looking at 4 wheel drives and settled with an Amarok.

If you want something that's robust, has grunt and has a few little luxuries than have a look at one of these and read of the reviews on them.
kickinback
50 BMG

Post by kickinback »

Curtley78 wrote:
Jacko9 wrote: On a serious note, is it me, or are 4wd's not built like they used to be? at all, my old Ln is better in the wet than my old mans fuckingshitboxheapofshit known as a navara, as is my kzn165 too... and hold up against corrugations better, seem like glorified shopping carts nowaday
We have a fleet of last years Hiluxes at work.

The Hilux's are nice to drive, however, I wouldn't lean on one. The vehicles we have at work the panels are all warped and this is from people leaning on them. I wouldn't like to see one in a prang.

We also have a few Tritons about and I had one for two days the other week. From what I recall they're wheelbase is less in width than the Hilux.

They also seem to be made on the cheap.

I've just spent the last few months looking at 4 wheel drives and settled with an Amarok.

If you want something that's robust, has grunt and has a few little luxuries than have a look at one of these and read of the reviews on them.
The one thing I don't like about the Amarok is the motor. That much power coming from that small motor says to me it is one very stressed unit. It a Also has a pretty narrow powerband IMO. I like everything else and came close to buying one but the motor scared me off.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

What do you drive Glen?
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

kjd wrote:What do you drive Glen?

A ute. :twisted:
kickinback
50 BMG

Post by kickinback »

A hilux Keith.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

The one thing I don't like about the Amarok is the motor. That much power coming from that small motor says to me it is one very stressed unit. It a Also has a pretty narrow powerband IMO. I like everything else and came close to buying one but the motor scared me off.
Narrow powerband is alleviated by the auto. I like to drive my vehicles so wanted manual ... Amarok was hard to get 'singing' with the manual, lovely ride though, Triton felt cheap and old and with a family, its not a pleasant ride in the backseat (loved one if I was single), Colorado was okay but hated the dash layout ... Ranger was my choice, great engine note after about 2200rpm, diff lock, good ride, great back-seat. :mrgreen:
Cheers...
Con
fenring

Post by fenring »

I've been looking too.

Around 12k cheaper than a Low-Lux and several grand cheaper than Gayvara.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

I've got the Amarok "ultimate" 6 speed manual.

I drive up and down the freeway each day at 115 klm/h with the engine just over idle at around 1500 rpm and using about 8 liters every 100 klm.

At 80 klm/h and in 6 gear Im using 7 liters per 100 klm. There's certainly no stress on the engine. The power is there if you need it but I'm a pretty conservative driver these days and have my days of blowing engines and burning out gearboxes.

For me it was either a Ranger or the Amarok and having an appreciation for VW I settled with the Rok.

Once I sell the Mazda I will be having a tow pack and either a nudge or bull bar fitted with an undercarriage bash guard.