jacko9's Hilux buildup......

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

jacko9's Hilux buildup......

Post by Jacko9 »

G'day blokes.

Thought I'd whack this up, may be of interest to some, or help others with an idea etc.

About 8 months ago now I brought a reasonably kitted out LN167R hilux, but since then, I've set out to improve it more to suit my own purposes as a rice runner, earthmoving contractor and a hunting vehicle... When I brought it, it had a 114 litre long range tank, denco diesel turbo kit, extended diff breathers, extended greasable shackles, Tough dog suspension, Warne Winch, IPF headlight assemblies and wiring loom, Hella Rallye 4000 100 watt hid driving lights, redarc dual battery setup, ARB under bonnet compressor, ARB rear diff locker, Roof Console....

Image[/URL]

I've been slowly chipping away at the ute, when I first got it, I started by re-wiring the redarc dual battery, previous owner had it sucking juice from the primary battery first! and just a general cleanup of the wiring which was messy, to be honest.

I didn't really like the driving lights either, so I ordered a set of 90 W HID Britaxae X-ray Vision 200 series which have been bloody awesome and handle hitting stuff with ease, the adjustment and mounting system is absolutely rock solid, best available IMHO, id say these shit all over LF lights.... And have one cool feature on low beam that has been a bit of a head turner with LED's in the bullbar and "bluer" headlights.... but this is an older photo of it

But where to fit all my tools? I had a kinchrome box on my work ute, and it went nowhere near close to fitting anything, So a phonecall to bromac engineering supplies in wagga, and a few hundred bucks later, I had a contractor one box coming my way.... Plenty of room, even though, It's full to the brim and I will now need a second to fit everything :rofl: Here is the toolbox first fitted up.

Image[/URL]

I noticed the suspension was also pretty farked in my opinion, just too rough (tough dog suspension, leaves and torsion bars), So after asking around here, A quick phone call was made to "The Ultimate Suspension" in Ingleburn, Sydney, who, after I had weighed up each corner of my vehicle, set about creating a custom suspension setup. I got the suspension kit, but sat it in the corner of the shed, for a few months along with the rest of the stuff accumulating for the ute.... When the time had come to fit it up, I had Ball joints, wheel bearings, suspension, car kit, uhf, tyres at the local tyre guy waiting. So I got her in the shed this week and have done all that to it... Looks a mile better. Here is a picture of it rolling on the old suspension, then a picture of the new suspension for a comparison.

Image[/URL]

Part 2 will be coming up, which includes new worklights, welding up another dog box which has a solar panel in the roof for charging the dual battery, which is almost done, this will be just used to secure my fridge when I am in wagga really, on farm, I have over center clips mounted on the fridge, and tabs on the tray behind where the dog box will be going so the fridge is easily moveable, just needs powdercoating, seat covers, finally fitting up the stereo equipment, getting the tyres put on, then the old girl will pretty much be complete :smoke:

Hope your enjoying the read so far...

Cheers,
Jackson.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Re: jacko9's Hilux buildup......

Post by kickinback »

Are you on newhilux mate?
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

kickinback wrote:Are you on newhilux mate?

Yeah mate I am, if you see a "Jacko9" or "jacko9" on 4x4, hunting or fishing forums, it's probably me :lol: that reminds me, I had to post a pic up of it with the ultimate suspension on newhilux in the old hilux thread!
kickinback
50 BMG

Post by kickinback »

You've done a good job there Jackson.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

kickinback wrote:You've done a good job there Jackson.

Thanks mate. Just wish the old ln had the same gear ratio as a KZN... Would be so much better on roads! Now mines been turboed... Will gear it up with bigger tyres, also might end up with a front locker yet too
kickinback
50 BMG

Post by kickinback »

E Locker or air
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

Air mate, Since passed on it, as I said on other forums, I had a toolbox which was worth about $1400 flogged off my other ute, so that pretty much put an end to doing that, replacing tools and the box... first night of uni hey... bastards...

Re-tired, minus toolbox, driving lights and work lights on the headboard!

Hid in the headlights now, and finish sound deadening the cab up, as well as make under tray toolboxes for in front of the wheel arches...
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

I have HID in my headlight - 35watt from memory. No comparison to the stock headlights. I put mine in after driving to a mates place on a single lane country road and even with the high beamers on was having trouble seeing where I was going (this was on the way to his place so no drinkies in the system).
Ute is looking great
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

bimbo wrote:I have HID in my headlight - 35watt from memory. No comparison to the stock headlights. I put mine in after driving to a mates place on a single lane country road and even with the high beamers on was having trouble seeing where I was going (this was on the way to his place so no drinkies in the system).
Ute is looking great
Hi mate, I have ordered a 35 watt HID xray kit, have xray driving lights and like them, I have 4300 k temp globes as I don't like the really blue colour you get from 6 k and above, 4300 k is quite easy on the eyes!
wifecallsmegrumpy
.223 Remington

Post by wifecallsmegrumpy »

Great tyres.. I have the STZ, which have been excellent.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

A nice picture from the other day when we were going looking for a piggly wig.
Dust
Favourite Cartridge: .17hm2

Post by Dust »

Looks good. Any performance mods planned? Exhaust, IC, turbo, water meth etc?
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

Dust wrote:Looks good. Any performance mods planned? Exhaust, IC, turbo, water meth etc?
Hey mate, it already has had an exhaust done, a garrett turbo added, and a dyno to suit!
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

To add further to this

It ended up with a Schwitzer S1BG turbocharger, now known as "Borg Warner" as this turbo suited the engine a little better.

I am re-building my scrub bars as they are bent, re powdercoating the bullbar and completed side rails and steps.

I am now looking at putting an intercooler on it, but can't decide whether to go with a simple air-air system, or the more complex water-air systems available.

I am also building under toolboxes to go in front of the rear wheel arches. One side is going to house my dual battery, air compressor and Red-Arc solenoid, as most of this is under the bonnet currently, and in my opinion, makes an absolute mess. The other will hold ropes, chains and my snatch-em strap.

So after the movement of those accessories, I will tidy up my wiring in the engine bay, and contemplate putting in my X-Ray HID headlight kit, I am a bit uncertain because it's illegal, and I do a hell of a lot of highway driving, as well offroad, and I think if I get a HW patrol officer in a bad mood, I could cop a fine for it. So, if that is a no go, I will wire a decent set of halogen bulbs in, and hardwire them straight from the battery for power!

At this stage, I am also getting rid of my long range fuel tank, as I can't get it to meter properly, and it has caught me out a few times :oops: So I am installing a standard tank back in, which is 77 litres, and installing a 40 litre sub under the tray, at this stage, I intend on just gravity feeding the main tank, although if it doesn't work, I will install a pump!
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Have you ever considered a dc-dc battery charger instead of a solenoid?
If you go with air to air intercooler, infront of the radiator is more efficient than under the bonnet