What Else Do You Do Outdoors?

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

Aside from hunting/shooting which I don't seem to get much done these days, I have just gotten into Mountain Biking a few months ago. I did it to be a bit healthy now it's getting to be a bit of an obsession and I love my fishing in the summer as well as drinking round a fire in winter

How about you guys?
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Re: What Else Do You Do Outdoors?

Post by Brad Y »

Fishing fishing fishing fishing fishing.

Demersal jigging, flyfishing both fresh and salt, GT popping, bream on lures... its all fun.
fenring

Post by fenring »

Mountain biking, a bit of fishing in summer and camping.
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Nice fish Brad! Massive whiting too never seen one that big.... It is a Whiting yeah?
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

No mate thats a bonefish- one of the worlds most prized SW fly fishing trophies. They pull like stink with that big forked tail. Runs so fast you think your reel drag is going to melt! There is basically only one fishery for it in Aus but its a common target of people travelling to small islands in the pacific, and throughout the bahamas etc to chase on fly. I went to New Caledonia over xmas and new years last year to target GT's and Bonefish and came back empty handed. Luckily I found where they are now in Aus and im going to chase the suckers no end until I find another fishing style to pursue :lol:
kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Haha I thought it was the mother of all whitings. Looks like one! I take it from the name they aren't a great fish for the table?
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

No mate, howd ya guess :lol: Lots of people mistake them for huge whiting and then comment on the poor eating. Ive been chasing one of these for ages and I got a smaller one before this big sucker. The first one was so much sweeter I must admit even though it was smaller. Sort I actually took that many photos it took a really long time to revive and release, thought I just about killed the first bonefish I ever caught. Heres another couple of pics of them, you will be able to see things on these that distinguish them from whiting a bit more.

Suppose I should add that I spend alot of my time fishing and doing anything outdoors with my dad. Ive taught him about all the lure fishing I do and he has adopted it and quite often wont bother soaking bait like he taught me years ago. We did a week long 9000km round trip to brissy and back to get my boat, camping out the back of NSW and the nullabor which was awesome fun. Camping is another thing we both enjoy too. Roughing it is way more fun than packing the kitchen sink and everything else, just a swag, lots of beer (emu bitter in cans preferably for the both of us) and a fire is perfect. We roughed it out in the middle of nowhere again in July on the trip north which was freezing cold but heaps better than finding a town to camp in or driving through the night. Heres a few shots of him and other fish we catch and a couple from the trip across.

kjd
Site Admin

Post by kjd »

Nice mate. It's great that you and your old man are so close. Me and mine are too but we don't do that sort of stuff enough.

Those other pics certainly show how different from whiting they look. ESP the one in the water!
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Post by Vermingone »

Just get out and enjoy the time off and good mates company finding a few fish on the way

Bidgee
Favourite Cartridge: .308

Post by Bidgee »

Nice bone Brad. Mate of mine just got back from Christmas Island targeting bones and GTs and he said the action was fast and furious. One of the group foul hooked one. You reckon they pull when hooked in the mouth, you should see what one hooked in the arse does.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Haha I reckon I would put up a fight if hooked in the arse too!
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Post by GriMo »

I dunno, I think if I was hooked in the ass I would stand very very still.
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Yeh cant say that I have to be honest. Neck once, fingers plenty. Mate was by himself 30kms out from exmouth chasing marlin and got a 12/0 stainless hook through his foot. Chasing marlin that jump not many people crush barbs so it was stuck in there good and proper. He didnt have anything big enough to cut the hook so took to his foot with a knife and got it out. The pain almost made him pass out with it in so he reckoned it was the only way he was getting back to land. I believe a tetanus shot, course of anti biotics to prevent infection and some pain relief and he was back on the water two days later. By himself again but this time with a nice set of bolt cutters aboard :wink:
17hmr
.243 Winchester

Post by 17hmr »

Great looking fish their boys! Wish I could catch something like those monsters.
VARMTR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22250 & 22KH

Post by VARMTR »

Sorry not a fisherman but good size fish. My idea of fishing is with expanding bait :D .
My other outdoor persuits are hiking, 4wdriving and exploring old mines. The mines I mostly seek out are ones that I have to abseil into as bugger all people go down there, you'll be surprised what has been left down there.