What are your Simple and cheap camping recipes?

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Re: What are your Simple and cheap camping recipes?

Post by curan »

bigfellascott wrote:Cooked up a heap of Spag Bolognese and Chow Mein for the upcoming Lue trip, packed it all in chinese containers and into the freezer, just a simple heat and eat after that, also got to do a Chicken Indian Curry (Rogan Josh) which will also get the same freezer treatment, just a matter of doing some saffron rice and heat and eat after that.

Got 3 bags of green prawn meat ready to go for the Chilli Garlic Prawns (I make that there) doesn't take more than 10mins from start to finish so no great effort/time to knock that yummy dish up, also got all the ingredients to make about 20 of our famous Lue Pizzas. :lol:
Jenny Craig, eat your heart out! :mrgreen:
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by 220 »

If you want simple just do all the prep at home before you head away, easy enough to mix up a damper, put it in the esky and simply throw it into the camp oven to cook when the time comes. Same with stews, goulash and similar, prep all the vegies, cube your meat, mix your herbs etc and put them in snap seal bags so its simply a matter of dumping them in the pot when the time comes to cook. Works well for weekend trips.
One thing I never go camping without although it doesn't always get used is a jaffle iron, always bread about and something to throw in, beans, spaghetti, can stew, eggs, bacon, ham, cheese. Just about anything tastes great in a jaffle and if your cold and wet a hot feed only takes minutes to cook.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

220 wrote:If you want simple just do all the prep at home before you head away, easy enough to mix up a damper, put it in the esky and simply throw it into the camp oven to cook when the time comes. Same with stews, goulash and similar, prep all the vegies, cube your meat, mix your herbs etc and put them in snap seal bags so its simply a matter of dumping them in the pot when the time comes to cook. Works well for weekend trips.
One thing I never go camping without although it doesn't always get used is a jaffle iron, always bread about and something to throw in, beans, spaghetti, can stew, eggs, bacon, ham, cheese. Just about anything tastes great in a jaffle and if your cold and wet a hot feed only takes minutes to cook.
+1 on the jaffle Sean, and it makes the washing up easy too! :D
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

curan wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Cooked up a heap of Spag Bolognese and Chow Mein for the upcoming Lue trip, packed it all in chinese containers and into the freezer, just a simple heat and eat after that, also got to do a Chicken Indian Curry (Rogan Josh) which will also get the same freezer treatment, just a matter of doing some saffron rice and heat and eat after that.

Got 3 bags of green prawn meat ready to go for the Chilli Garlic Prawns (I make that there) doesn't take more than 10mins from start to finish so no great effort/time to knock that yummy dish up, also got all the ingredients to make about 20 of our famous Lue Pizzas. :lol:
Jenny Craig, eat your heart out! :mrgreen:
Blasphemer - Wash your mouth out! :lol:
Vermingone
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 243 ai

Post by Vermingone »

How about beer can burgers.
Take 500grms of beef mince slam a can in the middle creating a cavity and push the sides up the can.
Then wrap bacon around the outside of your burger.
You then fill the middle with sautéed capsicum onion mushrooms and an egg.
Top with cheese and BBQ sauce.
Incinerate gently in a weber or oven @ 200'c for an hour.
Mmmmmmmm
They start out looking like this

Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Post by Camel »

You bloody heathen, fancy cutting the rind of the bacon :roll: :lol: Whats with having the cockroaches on top ?
Vermingone
.204 Ruger

Post by Vermingone »

I didn't that's how the bacon was in the packet ;) and its BBQ sauce.
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by BP72 »

Before looks good , no after shot ? :shock:
Vermingone
.204 Ruger

Post by Vermingone »

Hang on blokes gotta eat :-)

Geez their good
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

Looks alright to me! Everything in there a growing boy needs :D

I picked up some of the ingredients for our Lue Pizza's - still got to get the veg side of it (I'll get that sorted today) and the flatbreads too. I separated everything into portions and vac sealed it so it could all be frozen and pulled out each day ready to be used.

Harbs Pizza Oven is going to be going flatout! :mrburns:

curan
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by curan »

Okay, I haven't tried this out myself, but check the quickest way ever to peel a bag of spuds..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ7Fjsr6Ebk

:lol: :lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

curan wrote:Okay, I haven't tried this out myself, but check the quickest way ever to peel a bag of spuds..........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZ7Fjsr6Ebk

:lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: I like it!
bimbo
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 17HH

Post by bimbo »

Good and easy one is the garlic bread that comes wrapped into the foil straight onto coals, makes a nice accompaniment to most camp feeds. Cob of corn still with its jacket on or wrapped in foil also goes a treat.
If you want to impress the ladies a nice desert usually tips them over the edge - upside down apple tart
put the camp oven on some coals and chuck in a tables spoon or 2 of butter and the same of brown sugar and melt them to make a sauce
chuck in 4 peeled and quartered apples and keep stiring them until they start to soften a little - about 5-10mins
take it off the coals and let it all cool a touch and spread the apples out into an even layer.
get a sheet of frozen puff pastry that has thawed and place it over the top of the apples and tuck the pastry down the sides

Back on the coals with a bit under and some on the lid and cook for 15mins or so until the pastry is golden and crunchy.
one it is cooked let the camp oven cool for a few minuets then run a knife around the edge of the pastry and upend the whole thing onto a plate - serve with a dollop of double cream :mrgreen:
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Vermingone wrote:How about beer can burgers.
Take 500grms of beef mince slam a can in the middle creating a cavity and push the sides up the can.
Then wrap bacon around the outside of your burger.
You then fill the middle with sautéed capsicum onion mushrooms and an egg.
Top with cheese and BBQ sauce.
Incinerate gently in a weber or oven @ 200'c for an hour.
Mmmmmmmm
They start out looking like this

Cooked some of these for dinner the other night. Went down very well, had to use a stubbie instead of a can though but still tasted OK. :D thanks Vermingone.
Bruce
smalls
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by smalls »

Get yourself a charcoal grill (skewer grill) if you don't already have one, as well as flat metal skewers. Pick up a lamb rump, cumin seeds, cumin powder, cooking salt (DON'T use table salt or rock salt as a substitute), a loaf of bread and some nice butter/marg.

Trim the strip of fat off the rump, cut into 50cm sized cubes and feed onto the skewers. Fire up your charcoal grill, lay the skewers on top and sprinkle the powder, seeds and salt over the side facing up. Repeat the sprinkling as you turn the skewers to cook each side of the lamb, if all of your skewers dont fit then just put the cooked ones aside (to wait, or just eat them straightaway) and get the new ones going.

Voila! Once cooked they can be eaten directly off the skewer OR lather butter on a slice of bread, wrap around the meat on the skewer, pull the skewer out of the meat and ENJOY!

I was daft enough to reverse over my grill when I was up in the Grampians last. Not a camping recipe I would recommend.