Don't buy a Colorado

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Re: Don't buy a Colorado

Post by bigfellascott »

Anyone running a 3" exhaust system on their Turbo Diesels, I'm looking at putting one on the BT-50 to get it to run better and also getting the ECU Remapped which is supposed to make a big diff too, hope so as she's costing around $2k all up! :shock:

I'm happy to pay it if it makes the bloody thing better to drive (its like an asthmatic 90yr old now) you wouldn't even know it had a turbo under the bonnet its that ordinary.
BP72
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 22-250

Post by BP72 »

kjd wrote:Funny Jacko, you are the first JEEP owner that I know who likes them.

Just Expect Expensive Parts.
Make that the second one , mines done 40k in 12 months . Just put fuel in it , and a fair bit less than the Pajero . These things haul arse , don't compare them to a v8 cruiser off the mark let alone a poxy prado
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

ive never heard of a cruiser or prado spontaneously combusting while its being driven :roll:

same cant be said for jeeps :wink:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Hmm, maybe not a Colorado 7 given the meltdown I had with the UK office tonight.

Had enough of it...taking a few days off.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Don't buy a Colorado

Post by kickinback »

bigfellascott wrote:Anyone running a 3" exhaust system on their Turbo Diesels, I'm looking at putting one on the BT-50 to get it to run better and also getting the ECU Remapped which is supposed to make a big diff too, hope so as she's costing around $2k all up! :shock:

I'm happy to pay it if it makes the bloody thing better to drive (its like an asthmatic 90yr old now) you wouldn't even know it had a turbo under the bonnet its that ordinary.
Instead of fucking around why not put a set of +10 or +20 injectors in it.

If it's nowhere near as good as it was when you bought it you should be looking at cleaning the EGR system and ALL airflow related sensors.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Sometimes simply changing the air cleaner and fuel filter can make a massive difference
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

kickinback wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Anyone running a 3" exhaust system on their Turbo Diesels, I'm looking at putting one on the BT-50 to get it to run better and also getting the ECU Remapped which is supposed to make a big diff too, hope so as she's costing around $2k all up! :shock:

Instead of fucking around why not put a set of +10 or +20 injectors in it.

If it's nowhere near as good as it was when you bought it you should be looking at cleaning the EGR system and ALL airflow related sensors.
Yeah done the MAF and MAP sensors (MAP was caked in the thick oily sludge shit that happens with em) I keep those well cleaned. the reasoning behind the ECU remap is fairly straight forward - it makes the vehicle a lot more driveable as all the parameters are changed re when the ECU sends the message re when Torque should cut in etc, also the way the gearbox works is completely changed too, no waiting around for it to kick down like is often the case and they have a tendency to be in the wrong gear at times also (magnificent programming from the factory NOT!) a fucking dogs breakfast if ever there was one.

Crispmods will be doing the ECU Remap (well known for his work and he comes to your place) which is handy when you are out in the sticks, he's achieving around 55% increase in HP and up to 18% better fuel economy depending on the tune and mods etc, I just want the bloody thing to be more driveable as such, she's got no real guts a such and you wouldn't know it was a turbo to be honest - quite simply it requires more than an injector upgrade to make them run right and this is the way to do it from what I've read so hence the decision to go down this route.

Christian travels the country doing tunes for Trucks, Jetskis, 4wd's, cars you name it and I haven't found one comment about it not being worth the $$$, have a look at the diff car forums and you will see his name mentioned I'm sure, heaps of 4wd forums have posts about his work and how it has changed the driveability of their vehicles and better fuel economy etc, there are facebook and youtube pages etc dedicated to his work etc.

I will also do the ECG Blanking Plate to help sort out the problem that is encountered there also (end result blown engine if you don't get em sorted).

Hopefully he can get mine running the way it should instead of having to put up with lackluster driveability like I have been.

http://ecuwest.com.au/pk-ranger-ecu-rem ... o-results/
kickinback
50 BMG

Don't buy a Colorado

Post by kickinback »

Good answer.

But

The blanking plate will eventually throw codes. The black crap is coming straight from your PCV. Have you considered a Provent?
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

kickinback wrote:Good answer.

But

The blanking plate will eventually throw codes. The black crap is coming straight from your PCV. Have you considered a Provent?
Christian removes the code so no issues with error codes and lighting up the dash, have thought about the Provent, when he's here he will tell me all the tips and tricks to getting em set up right. I've got to suss him out about some coolant thing that has to do with the EGR or manifold I think - can eventually corrode and cause some serious issues so will suss him out about that too when he's here.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

On tweaking ECUs etc, is it fair to assume you do this post-warranty and don't do any dealer servicing? Seems obvious, but I'd be surprised if a dealer would even touch a car with such modifications. However if dealers are OK with that, then that's good news.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

If Dealers and warranty were ok with it I doubt he would have virtually undetectable as one of his highlights/selling points
kickinback
50 BMG

Don't buy a Colorado

Post by kickinback »

The Raven wrote:On tweaking ECUs etc, is it fair to assume you do this post-warranty and don't do any dealer servicing? Seems obvious, but I'd be surprised if a dealer would even touch a car with such modifications. However if dealers are OK with that, then that's good news.
Dealers/ manufacturers love it when customers do this type of stuff.

When they see it they photograph it and enter it into the service log. Generally they don't say a word about it until a warranty claim is made and then the shit hits the fan.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

The Raven wrote:On tweaking ECUs etc, is it fair to assume you do this post-warranty and don't do any dealer servicing? Seems obvious, but I'd be surprised if a dealer would even touch a car with such modifications. However if dealers are OK with that, then that's good news.
Yes after warranty would be recommended - as we know they'd use any excuse to void any claims so don't give em a reason.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

I thought so, but it was worth checking in case they have 'approved' mods from certain vendors.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

The Raven wrote:I thought so, but it was worth checking in case they have 'approved' mods from certain vendors.
We all know what Car Dealerships are like, promise everything until they make the sale then ya on ya own - I don't trust any of them ever and if she's a new car I certainly wouldn't be doing anything to jepardise the warranty (hard enough getting em to honor it as it is without giving them an out) :D

My BT is a 2006 PJ model with just on 100,000 on the clock so she's out of warranty so I can now get it sorted so it actually runs the way it should instead of putting up with Mazda's substandard detuned effort.