Suburban chainsaw recommendations

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Re: Suburban chainsaw recommendations

Post by The Raven »

bigfellascott wrote:I believe the the little stihls are chinese made and you can't tune the carbies yourself, personally I'd have a look at the little Oleomacs - they go well and have a 5yr warranty (had mine for a good 10-12yrs now and its never missed a beat and has been well abused) I think they go for around $280. My brother had a chinese made saw that lasted about 1yr before it was a throw away job (something broke and was going to cost more to fix than buy a new one).
I don't know about the Stihls specifically but it doesn't surprise me most of the 'Walbro' style carbs no longer have adjustment screws (emission laws). Not a big issue really as I wouldn't expect to tweak it ....however I do have a range of various sized Walbro's intended for upping performance on small motors. :wink:

I should probably take a look at the old chainsaw first. From memory it's a model with the name of Partner. Definitely needs a chain, probably new fuel lines, new airfilter, and a clean. I'd guess it has a 12-16inch bar.

Mrs Raven would prefer something more like a stick mounted pruner, which I think would be a tad underpowered for most things.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

The Raven wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I believe the the little stihls are chinese made and you can't tune the carbies yourself, personally I'd have a look at the little Oleomacs - they go well and have a 5yr warranty (had mine for a good 10-12yrs now and its never missed a beat and has been well abused) I think they go for around $280. My brother had a chinese made saw that lasted about 1yr before it was a throw away job (something broke and was going to cost more to fix than buy a new one).
I don't know about the Stihls specifically but it doesn't surprise me most of the 'Walbro' style carbs no longer have adjustment screws (emission laws). Not a big issue really as I wouldn't expect to tweak it ....however I do have a range of various sized Walbro's intended for upping performance on small motors. :wink:

I should probably take a look at the old chainsaw first. From memory it's a model with the name of Partner. Definitely needs a chain, probably new fuel lines, new airfilter, and a clean. I'd guess it has a 12-16inch bar.

Mrs Raven would prefer something more like a stick mounted pruner, which I think would be a tad underpowered for most things.
Just as well ya not looking at tweaking the carby mate, cos ya got no choice with the latest little Stihls :lol: And yes it sounds like people are giving the standard carby the flick and putting in something that can be tuned when needed.
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Suburban chainsaw recommendations

Post by kickinback »

DSD wrote:A few of you blokes seem keen to run your saws dry. Personally i would nver intentionally run any 2 stroke dry but to each their own.
It's actually recommended by the manufacturers.

It's also the reason for the bulb on most petrol edgers. It's not there to prime but to flush the carby.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

For general use in my suburban backyard, I have a Makita electric.

No mess no fuss. Put in some chain oil, plug it into power, cut stuff.

Now before anyone starts, no I do not drink Corona :)
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

Rabbitz wrote:For general use in my suburban backyard, I have a Makita electric.

No mess no fuss. Put in some chain oil, plug it into power, cut stuff.

Now before anyone starts, no I do not drink Corona :)
My mates ol man had an electric chainsaw, seemed to do a good job from memory and didn't annoy the neighbours when he used it.
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

It does the job - I wouldn't drop a tree with it but general logs, branches, firewood around the house it handles well.

The noise was a factor in deciding to go electric.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

I priced some generic parts for my old chainsaw today....and walked out with a new Ozito chainsaw for less... Will see how it goes.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

The Raven wrote:I priced some generic parts for my old chainsaw today....and walked out with a new Ozito chainsaw for less... Will see how it goes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by The Raven »

LoneRider wrote:
The Raven wrote:I priced some generic parts for my old chainsaw today....and walked out with a new Ozito chainsaw for less... Will see how it goes.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You may laugh but I had an ulterior motive....it may come in handy for camping.

I should add that it's got a real engine, not the plug in variety.
Last edited by The Raven on Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

Rabbitz wrote:It does the job - I wouldn't drop a tree with it but general logs, branches, firewood around the house it handles well.

The noise was a factor in deciding to go electric.
I lucky around here as just about everyone here has a chainsaw going at one time or another so I don't think the noise issue really worries anyone here. (I'm hearing a couple going now as a matter of fact :lol:
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

I've always found their Electric stuff to work well for the price dunno about their petrol stuff.

Inherited an old Stihl 024 AV off the old man today. Am going to give it a tidy up..

Was it Bigfellascott that refurbishes and rebuilds them? I wonder how much he'd charge to completely go over it paint job and all hmmm...
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

kjd wrote:
I've always found their Electric stuff to work well for the price dunno about their petrol stuff.

Inherited an old Stihl 024 AV off the old man today. Am going to give it a tidy up..

Was it Bigfellascott that refurbishes and rebuilds them? I wonder how much he'd charge to completely go over it paint job and all hmmm...
No I don't rebuild em mate, just been lucky enough to find a few old saws that were still in excellent working condition, the last one (Jonsereds) just needed a good clean and a bit of paint to bring it back to near new looking condition, the Stihls all plastic so wasn't much to do there with that one other than give it a good clean.
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

It will probably surprise you how well it goes.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Post by kjd »

bigfellascott wrote:
kjd wrote:

No I don't rebuild em mate, just been lucky enough to find a few old saws that were still in excellent working condition, the last one (Jonsereds) just needed a good clean and a bit of paint to bring it back to near new looking condition, the Stihls all plastic so wasn't much to do there with that one other than give it a good clean.
Ahh there you go! I'll be giving this one a clean to see how she scrubs up!
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter

Re:

Post by The Raven »

DSD wrote:A few of you blokes seem keen to run your saws dry. Personally i would nver intentionally run any 2 stroke dry but to each their own.
It's all to do with the carb, Walbro style carbs suffer from diaphragm (yeap, that's how you spell it) crapping out with old fuel. Best to run them dry.