A new hobby

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: A new hobby

Post by Camel »

Sooooooo, its illegal to have a still for your own use ? Who woulda thunk that ? :roll: Stuff em, if I wanted to poison myself with making my own sly grog, Id do it anyway. Bah Humbug
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Don't worry Camel, I'm fully certified for RC operation under CASA regs. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

Camel wrote:Sooooooo, its illegal to have a still for your own use ? Who woulda thunk that ? :roll: Stuff em, if I wanted to poison myself with making my own sly grog, Id do it anyway. Bah Humbug
You can own a still, but you can't produce alcohol without paying for permits and paperwork. It's as illegal as being an ISIS recruit.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

LoneRider wrote:ya dont need fancy storage jars mate,i just use 20l food grade plastic drums.

whats your recipe ?

im using sugar for clear spirits and sugar/molasses for rum.

how many ltr still is it ?

i get 40 ltr of spirit [85%+] over 2 days stilling.
I have never produced any alcohol but have been told that dextrose produces a smoother spirit over sugar as does a ceramic head over a copper 1 which is smother than stainless.
When using sugar apparently how much you pay for it also relates to how smooth it is, ie bundaberg sugar produces smoother than coles home brand.
This is only what I have heard and have zero actual experience to go on.

Back on track, How did the ribs go?
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

cmon dude...howd the ribs turn out....how long did you cook em for and at what temp ?
i love pork ribs.... [well pork in general really]
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

LoneRider wrote:I love pork ribs.... [well pork in general really]
Amen to that!

Glenn
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Shoulder was in there 8 hours to get up to 93 degrees internal so I could make pulled pork out of it. Put the fork in the meat to lift it out and it fell apart in the most awesome tender juicy chunks. Made awesome burgers that night and awesome tacos 2 nights later.

Ribs stayed in just under 5 hours, again the meat just fell off the bone. They were done the same way with mustard rub then spice rub made from brown sugar, paprika, chilli powder, tumeric and salt. Then basted after about 2 hours with apple cider and worstershire sauce. When they were served I just gave a good squirt of BBQ sauce on them and rolled them around in the pan juices.

Doing a bone in pork loin roast this weekend. Will update on that one when it gets going. The plan is a 24hr brine in apple juice, salt and brown sugar, maybe with a few cloves thrown in, then rub and smoke again til about 70 degrees internal temp.

Will be buying a thermometer for the lid so I can tell what cooking temp Im running. At the moment I have to check the meat every so often.
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

goin to have to try something like that on the next lot of ribs.
but for a roast ya cant beat cracklin.
and until i get some new teeth i wont be doing pork roast.

[broke me dentures,again :oops: :cry: ]
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Yes crackling is good. Smoked crackling is better.
LoneRider
50 BMG

Post by LoneRider »

Brad Y wrote:Yes crackling is good. Smoked crackling is better.
does it bubble up like normal or just go flat and hard ?
Brad Y
.338 Lapua Magnum

Post by Brad Y »

Meat takes on smoked flavour when its cool and raw, so you can season with salt like normal then smoke it to get the flavour in, then crank up the heat and get it bubbling up and crispy. So good. When doing a pork roast with crackle I cut the skin off so I can do the crackling to perfection, but still leave that next thin layer of fat on top of the meat to protect it a little when cooking low and slow.