Diesel - Which do you use which do you refuse to?

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Re: Diesel - Which do you use which do you refuse to?

Post by kjd »

Are they worth installing?

There seems to be so many myths with this that its hard to separate fact from fiction
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Ask your dealer how much new injectors are worth then do the sums.

Personally speaking, injectors for my car are around the 1k mark each if bought from Toyota. Pre filter is between $150-350 with filter cartridge around $30. Looks pretty cheap to me.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

kjd wrote:What about an inline secondary filter?
Where they're fitted in relation to the factory one can have implications on warranty. Probably not a bad idea to have if filling from suspect sources, or you wanted a filter with audible alarm and means to clear it. I feel the common rail diesels are appreciative of filtration finer than what the OEM provides, but we haven't taken that step yet with our Territory or Ranger.

Cheers...
Con
Timmo84
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Timmo84 »

One thing to think about with a second filter is a greater restriction to the fuel pump making it work harder. I'm not sure on your vehicles set up though.

Tim
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

VARMTR
.22 WMR
Favourite Cartridge: 22250 & 22KH

Post by VARMTR »

I mostly use Shell.

I do have to laugh when I see BP, Mobil and Cootes and other contract tankers who supply Caltex, Shell, Mobil 7eleven, United, Apco etc servos tankers driving in and out of the Shell Refinery in Geelong.

The most common problem with common rail diesels is blocked up intake manifold. This is due to the egr, pcv and intake throttle butterfly. So when when the engine is idling or highway cruising with light throttle the butterfly closes and at the same time the egr opens. So with this combined with the pcv venting oil mist intake the intake combined with exhaust soot equals crap in the manifold. There are ways of bypass all this but it's unroadworthy, this didn't stop me modifying the missus NS Pajero.

The fuel doesn't matter if it's made by Shell, Mobil, Caltex, BP etc it wont stop intake manifold fouling. In regards to fuel quality it comes down how good the servos tanks are eg no water, algae, dirt, gasoline and other contaminants.
mn1863
.222 Remington

Post by mn1863 »

VARMTR wrote:
The most common problem with common rail diesels is blocked up intake manifold. This is due to the egr, pcv and intake throttle butterfly. So when when the engine is idling or highway cruising with light throttle the butterfly closes and at the same time the egr opens. So with this combined with the pcv venting oil mist intake the intake combined with exhaust soot equals crap in the manifold. There are ways of bypass all this but it's unroadworthy, this didn't stop me modifying the missus NS Pajero.
Is there a way around this, without modification? Like a change in driving style?
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

The Raven wrote:
kickinback wrote:
windknot wrote:I always go to the same place if i'm filling up in town, it happens to be a Caltex discount joint,

Why...

it's the newest servo in town with nice new clean tanks in the ground

That is a good reason for me to not use that servo for 6 months. When the tanks are put in they are full of water which us pumped out at commissioning and replaced with fuel.
WTF! I've never seen a tank filled with water during installation.

What sort of tanks are these?
I have been lead to believe every underground diesel storage tank has an amount of water in them to act as a ballast and keep the tank in the ground and stop it from rising. In simple terms as anyone with water storage tanks in the ground can attest to, you do not pump your tanks dry or they will rise and float. To compensate this Servos part fill there tanks with water and keep the footvalve higher than this level. Diesel floats on water as it is lighter so after the 2 hour settlement time required by law when a tanker delivers diesel hopefully all the water has sunk back to the bottom and you only suck clean diesel.
VARMTR wrote:I mostly use Shell.

I do have to laugh when I see BP, Mobil and Cootes and other contract tankers who supply Caltex, Shell, Mobil 7eleven, United, Apco etc servos tankers driving in and out of the Shell Refinery in Geelong.

The fuel doesn't matter if it's made by Shell, Mobil, Caltex, BP etc it wont stop intake manifold fouling. In regards to fuel quality it comes down how good the servos tanks are eg no water, algae, dirt, gasoline and other contaminants.
There is only 2 suppliers of Diesel to most of mainland australia, Those being either shell or caltex and yes they will purchase from each other
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

Kickinback here is a picture of the green diesel I mentioned in a post in another thread last time everyone discussed diesel. It is not the most accurate representation of its colour but you get the idea(ie it is definitely not yellow). This has been the best diesel both power and economy(noticeably on this 1) wise for me. Interestingly whilst most of my regular servos do not change fuel much there is 2 near home that swaps between this and the yellow stuff.
Attachments
20140527_084956.jpg
VARMTR
.22 WMR

Post by VARMTR »

mn1863 wrote:
VARMTR wrote:
Is there a way around this, without modification? Like a change in driving style?
No not really unless you live the outback of NT and can drive it hard. But then you use more fuel the best way is to modify. The modifications I did cannot be seen from a visual look they are internal.
No diesel fuel additive will stop the carbon build up in the intake manifold.
Last edited by VARMTR on Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
VARMTR
.22 WMR

Post by VARMTR »

DSD wrote:
The Raven wrote:
kickinback wrote:
windknot wrote:I always go to the same place if i'm filling up in town, it happens to be a Caltex discount joint,

Why...

That is a good reason for me to not use that servo for 6 months. When the tanks are put in they are full of water which us pumped out at commissioning and replaced with fuel.

I have been lead to believe every underground diesel storage tank has an amount of water in them to act as a ballast and keep the tank in the ground and stop it from rising. In simple terms as anyone with water storage tanks in the ground can attest to, you do not pump your tanks dry or they will rise and float. To compensate this Servos part fill there tanks with water and keep the footvalve higher than this level. Diesel floats on water as it is lighter so after the 2 hour settlement time required by law when a tanker delivers diesel hopefully all the water has sunk back to the bottom and you only suck clean diesel.

There is only 2 suppliers of Diesel to most of mainland australia, Those being either shell or caltex and yes they will purchase from each other
Well the Caltex Refinery in NSW is on its last legs and will be closing down soon. You also forgot BP as they have 2 refinerys Qld & WA so they supply quite a bit as well of mainland as well. The Mobil refinery in Altona is quite small about 80,000bpd capacity and mostly supply local market. The Mobil refinery in SA shut down years ago. The last Shell refinery is Geelong which supplys Vic, Tas, SA, part NSW and depending of product NZ as well. The Shell Sydney refinery shutdown years ago.
The oil majors will trade on lt for lt basis it would not make business sence for BP in Qld to send fuel to Vic servo's where there is Mobil and Shell there and visa versa.
VARMTR
.22 WMR

Post by VARMTR »

VARMTR wrote:
DSD wrote:
The Raven wrote:
kickinback wrote:

Why...

Well the Caltex Refinery in NSW is on its last legs and will be closing down soon. You also forgot BP as they have 2 refinerys Qld & WA so they supply quite a bit as well of mainland as well. The Mobil refinery in Altona is quite small about 80,000bpd capacity and mostly supply local market. The Mobil refinery in SA shut down years ago. The last Shell refinery is Geelong which supplys Vic, Tas, SA, part NSW and depending of product NZ as well. The Shell Sydney refinery shutdown years ago.
The oil majors will trade on lt for lt basis it would not make business sence for BP in Qld to send fuel to Vic servo's where there is Mobil and Shell there and visa versa.
In regards of water used as balast I have never heard of that and I hope not. At the water diesel interface you get a build up algae or diesel bugs some people call them. This stuff will contaminate over a period of time the whole tank.
VARMTR
.22 WMR

Post by VARMTR »

DSD wrote:Kickinback here is a picture of the green diesel I mentioned in a post in another thread last time everyone discussed diesel. It is not the most accurate representation of its colour but you get the idea(ie it is definitely not yellow). This has been the best diesel both power and economy(noticeably on this 1) wise for me. Interestingly whilst most of my regular servos do not change fuel much there is 2 near home that swaps between this and the yellow stuff.
DSD where abouts did you get that diesel from.
Con
.308 Winchester

Post by Con »

VARMTR wrote: No not really unless you live the outback of NT and can drive it hard. But then you use more fuel the best way is to modify. The modifications I did cannot be seen from a visual look they are internal.
EGR blanking plate?
Cheers...
Con
VARMTR
.22 WMR

Post by VARMTR »

Con wrote:
VARMTR wrote: No not really unless you live the outback of NT and can drive it hard. But then you use more fuel the best way is to modify. The modifications I did cannot be seen from a visual look they are internal.
EGR blanking plate?
Cheers...
Con
Hi Con
EGR blanking plate.
A proper catch can eg Mann Hummel Provent 200.
Now as this is what I had to do for a NS Pajero.

I drilled a 12mm hole in the intake butterfly. This is stop when idling putting the engine warning light on due to if the MAP sensor detects a vaccuum in the manifold it will say there is a fault. Because under normal operation the butterfly closes egr opens no vaccuum. But now with the egr blanked you have to stop the the manifold going into vaccuum.
A good quality catch can to stop the pcv oil mist going into the intake as well.

I did this after 90000k I had to get the intake manifold cleaned from all the carbon and crap as the engine started to run like a dog and warning lights started to come on.

With my GUIV TD42ti is just ripped the egr system off and threw in the bin and completely removed the intake butterfly. Also installed a Provent 200 catch can.

The engine oil stays cleaner for longer as your not loading it up with carbon from the exhaust.