Bream

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6BR

Bream

Post by chris.tyne »

Here are a couple of pictures of a my black headed 6yr son holding a bream I caught whilst jewie fishing,just over three and a quarter pound gilled and gutted.

Regards Chris.
Attachments
BREAM 003.jpg
BREAM 001.jpg
astro

Re: Bream

Post by astro »

yup....thats a big bream.....did it take your jewie bait???
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

Sure did Astro,2x 8/0s snooded on 60lb leader with a running 2oz sinker and a fresh mullet fillet for bait,the bream was well hooked,the bottom hook went straight through the centre of the lower jaw and that was that.A pity he wasn't caught on lighter gear as it would have been a bit more sporting.

Regards Chris.
astro

Post by astro »

used to catch big ones like that on lures barra fishing the creeks around port douglas....that one must be 50cm
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

Good estimation astro,49cm from nose to fork in tail.

Regards Chris.
crowbuster

Post by crowbuster »

Very impressive bream Chris & as you say great sport on lighter tackle. Incidentally a bream of that size is probably more than 20 years old...

CB
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day all
That is a nice bream !!!!!!
You are close to the age crowbuster ,but it would be closer to about 30 years old !!!!
A bream to hit legal size in vic is 26cm which would make it between 12-16 years old !!
Thumpers like that should be returned ,as it will take over 25 years to get back !!
But thats my thought ,its all up to the indvidual

Andree
chris.tyne
.270 Winchester

Post by chris.tyne »

C'mon HAIR BEAR I feel bad now,I release most of my fish but this one ended up on the plate.I spose we should let them all go as the smaller one's that are kept will never have the chance to grow old.

Regards Chris.
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

Mate
don't feel bad !!!
you are not the first ,and won't be the last !!
I would have done the same ,till i realized how long it takes to get that fish back !!!
Hunting and fishing are the same in that respect ,we as a person have the choice to take or not too !
What i feel is right ,should not be your problem !
I feel most people just don't realize what it takes to grow a bream to 40+cm !!!!

Keep enjoying Mate
Andree
crowbuster

Post by crowbuster »

You are close to the age crowbuster, but it would be closer to about 30 years old !!!!
I don't doubt it hairbear, as bream are a very slow growing fish, and I was sort of making that point without wanting to sound disapproving of keeping it.
I personally release all the bream I catch, but that is a personal choice as I respect them as a sportfish on light tackle and don't reckon you get a big fillet off them anyway. All that aside if you weren't aware how old a big bream was then you wouldn't think twice about keeping it I guess.

CB
1kshot
.204 Ruger

Post by 1kshot »

Well done Chris! screemer of a bream :D
On a lighter note don’t feel to bad they only live to around 30 so consider the fact that you probable helped a grumpy old mongrel complaining of his aces and pains out of his misery :D

All the best
John