MITTA RIVER TRIP

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

MITTA RIVER TRIP

Post by HAIR BEAR »

G'day all
How are you all doing ??
I finally bit the bullet and took some time out from work !! Miss's had booked her self into the threadbo country music festival ,so friday saturday and sunday , i was mr mom ,looking after our little boy ,while mum went and let her hair out and had some R&R ,well i have new respect for the miss's !!!
monday was my turn to head for the hills ,but weather man called 39 degrees ,well bugger that, will leave tuesday morning !
Tuesday morning weather was more pleasant for driving ,so decided to head for Albury and meet up with Thomo ! got to Albury at around 1-30pm ,and gave Thomo a ring ,thinking we would chat for half hour or so ! well i left Albury at around 4 or 5 pm worried i will miss the evening rise , well i got to the river about 6-30 ish ,geared up and walked down stream for around 500 meters , when i noticed a nice brown trout of about 1,1/2 just working in a little back wash just swirling under the surface ,hmmm flick a small nymph at him , flat out refused it , "small dry fly" not interested ,hmmm what are you feeding on ? tryed floating beetle no! sinking beetle no! 1 hour latter , i am sratching my head , think i will move on , seen another fish working on the other bank ,will give him a go ! same thing , this is not right ! why can't i catch these fish ,they are fixed onto some thing but what ? the sun set and night fell on the river ,went back to the car and started to think on way i could not get those fish !!
Wednesday dawned clear and sunny ,lets fish one of those feed creeks that are around here ,need a confidence build up ! so drove up the road to a little creek called the "little snowy creek"
snowy creek.jpg
well this proved be be a good move and enjoyed some fine little creek fish ! with one real good creek fish worth a pic
snowy fish.jpg
Around 11 am my mind started to wander back to those fish feeding back at the river ! why can't i catch them , think its time for round two ,went back to the car and back to the main river , full of confidence ! well the same thing again ,same fish ,same knock backs ! what is going on here ?? well on further investigation , i found what they where feeding on ,bloody willow grubs ,about 2mm in diameter and 10-15mm long in the same green colour as the willow leaf ,well its back to the car and dig out the fly tying gear ,oh no ! i have nothing that i could tie these willow grubs ! Albury is around a hour away , and i know a guide that works this area ,he could put me on track !!
Gave my mate scot a call ,his reply was "come over we will tie some of those little buggers and you will be right ,so a quick run to albury ,got to mates place ,then we started to talking ,and by the time i left his place i would not be back in time to try our handy work
24032008058.jpg
Well that night was a long one and woke up late , but raced off to the river ,and those fish where there ,feeding away :D well the first cast was on the mark the fish swirled around and hammered my willow grub fly
LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE 3 PIC PER POST LIMIT WILL POST AGAIN

Andree
Thomo
22-250 Remington

Re: MITTA RIVER TRIP

Post by Thomo »

Thats really cool, that little bugger is so small. Hurry up and post the pics i want to see this fish that was worth the run into albury.

I watched a bloke at a fishing show tie Flys one day and it was amazing to watch, he had the real insects he was impersonating next to his flys and i must say he did a great job, just fascinating.

I can only imagine the enjoyment of catching a fish on a fly you tied yourself.

Good To meet you Hair Bear and i allso had a good day "Fishing" after i saw you. Will catch you soon
woob614271
17Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 17Rem, 22.250AI, 308

Post by woob614271 »

HB, you have access to some of God's country right there, mate; well done!
HAIR BEAR
.204 Ruger

Post by HAIR BEAR »

Well after a heavy hand fight ,the fish move away from the willow tree and out to the main flow of the river where i could take my time and enjoy the fruits of my hard work
test.jpg
the net lenght is 45cm on the larger part of the diameter
this is where this fish came from ,the cast was under 15 foot
willow.jpg

Well now i know that it works , where is that other fish over the other side in th same place feeding away ,boy do i have a surprise for you mr trout !
fish 2.jpg
As the day progressed i caught another 3 more trout ,and losing 2 to being a bit heavy hand at the start of the fight ,but thats all part of the fun

Andree
Cranky Bugga

Post by Cranky Bugga »

Good report and nice pic's Andree. It is nice country but I guess I take it all for granted, I drive past all that to go fish elsewhere. That creek is BIG Snowy, Little snowy comes in at Eskdale. Let me know next time you are up this way and we'll try to get some fishing in.

Cheers
Cliff
astro

Post by astro »

well done...ya got to match the hatch......go sherlock...
tikka
.223 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: spud gun!!!

Post by tikka »

Good fishing HB, decent trout mate, that creek fish is big and so are the others. Persistence pays....