Having a scrounge on the Beach

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Re: Having a scrounge on the Beach

Post by Curtley78 »

G'day Lonerider,

I've been checking the signage of where I've been sweeping. The last thing I would want is to be be fined or have my equipment stolen by the policy enforcers of local Government.

I went out again today and found nothing. I'm starting to think that the beaches must be pretty well swept by other people. I'm also now thinking that the the best value for time is to hit a few of the old diggings.
LoneRider
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308

Post by LoneRider »

some popular beaches are done over by a tractor with a barrel sieve on the back.to pick up litter and needles.
they start work pretty early.newcastle beaches are one place i know of.
sheltered coves where people swim [unpatrolled] would be a good place to hit.as would close to rocks where [if theres one] tractors cant get close to.
parks near benches bbq's and fences,playground equipment and dunny's/showers....
most places a kid with a coin in their pocket would most likely loose it.

make sure you put all sods back,nobody likes holes in the ground,even little ones.

my detector is so old i think mathusala used it and it was second hand when he got it. :lol:
a couple of small sieves comes in handy as does a small gold pan.
if your in that country.

if you havent got one,a copy of RENNIKS coin and bank note values is a good investment,as is a subscription to gg&t and coin review.
i got started researching many moons ago but never really got a chance to do much about it.

i hope you have better luck.

sean.
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

Yes Lonerider, I must admit that I'm not having any luck on the beaches that I've hit.

There was one location (a beachside hotel) that has been left in a state of disrepair and that no one really knows what is happening with it.

It's rumoured that it was going be renovated but no one really knows.

I drove past it the other day for a bit of a scout and then you wouldn't believe the following day when I returned there was a security fence around the entire perimeter. Bummer.

It would have an ideal place to sweep and no doubt I would uncovered some interesting relics.

I also went down to a beachside wading pool yesterday and the intent was to give it a going over but alas there's always something that one forgets and this time I forgot to pack my shorts and I certainly wasn't going in there in my undies.

I've also just returned from the Post Office and collected a new scoop, a Garrett pick, a Garrett hard case and a 20 inch coil.

I think like shooting it all comes down to persistence and getting to know your equipment.

I intend to hit the wading pools this week.
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Sorry to hear about the redundancy Sean. All the best.

(oh, and I'm still shooting the 900s at the range........) :D
Curtley78

Post by Curtley78 »

Curan,

You wouldn't believe it.

I've been reinstated by Patrick as a casual.

It all works out in the end. [WINKING FACE]
curan
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 30/30

Post by curan »

Curtley78 wrote:Curan,

You wouldn't believe it.

I've been reinstated by Patrick as a casual.

It all works out in the end. [WINKING FACE]
Excellent news Sean. Pleased it's worked out for you. 8)