A Few Chainsaws From Years Gone By

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

A Few Chainsaws From Years Gone By

Post by bigfellascott »

Just a few pics from some of the ol Chainsaws that were on display at this years Show.

Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Re: A Few Chainsaws From Years Gone By

Post by Flash Gordon »

Spotted a couple I have owned and used,the Danarm and a big Homelite.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

Flash Gordon wrote:Spotted a couple I have owned and used,the Danarm and a big Homelite.
How did they go? That Villiers nearly killed its owner the 2nd time he used it, sounds like it bit in and nearly pulled him onto the chain, apparently he was saved by someone standing next to him, that could have been bloody nasty! :shock:
Flash Gordon
.22 WMR

Post by Flash Gordon »

I just posted what I thought was an interesting reply but it wouldn't post,because I wasn't logged in,lost all that,so will try again.These computers are smarter than me.

The Danarm,I think it was called the Danarm Tornado,was a good saw in it's day.If I recall it was geared down to run at a slower chain speed.The original chains that ours came with were different to the chipper chains of today,they were a scratcher or scraper chain,with flat teeth.
My father bought ours in the early 1950's.As they had no pressure fuel feed,when tree falling,the bar had to be rotated to keep the engine upright.Was very loud,probably the beginning of my hearing loss,basically no muffler.

The Homelite was a great saw,my friend down the road had one for his farm and he had a sawmill as well,so I bought mine on his recommendation,really liked it.

Thanks for posting the pictures,brings back a lot of memories,now I have a Stihl,very good but I doubt my back will let me use it for this winters wood.
Mike.
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

Thanks for getting back to me FG, I love seeing these sorts of ol time chainsaws etc, its amazing the different brands and designs that were around back then - the new breed certainly have come a long way compared to the old stuff.