Port Hinchinbrook

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Port Hinchinbrook

Post by Ol 55 »

Made the long journey from the Hunter Valley to Port Hinchinbrook last month round trip of 4,800 odd k's.
To say the unit we stayed in was luxury would be an understatement 2 story 4 bedrooms, pool etc, the
fishing was tough to say the least tides not so good and the back side of the moon but the scenery and
company certainly made up for the tough fishing.
Arrived at our accommodation around 4pm unloaded the car and fuelled the boats up in Cardwell back to
sort our tackle and look at the charts and make a plan over a few beers.
Our fist day fishing we tried the mainland side creeks so after a 35klm run we were into it, Grahame, had been there
before guided us onto some snags on a deep corner while he sounded around on a sandy point marking some fish on his
side scan, a Fingermark on his second cast I thought you ripper we are on here, spoke to soon as that was the only bite
in the next 6 hours.
Next day saw us over on the island and some spectacular scenery fishing was a little better but the wind was blowing very
hard for the run back.
This would be the script for the next week long runs and hard fishing we ended up in the fresh water at a place called the Deluge
one morning after a jungle perch what a beautiful place crystal clear water massive snags managed to catch two of the smallest
mangrove jacks you have ever seen.
Another day ended up in a creek with a rather large croc living in it managed to get close enough for a photo then went up stream
where we caught some jacks out of the snags, back on the bank opposite where the croc was laying we were fishing some snags
when I marked something on the sounder I said to Sam that if I didn't know better I just went over that croc he came down for a
look and yep you could see it laying on the bottom head up into the current by the time I mucked around trying to do a screen shot
the image was gone about 30 seconds later he was about 50 mtr in front of the boat.
Sam and I both caught Barra Sam's was about 70cm mine not legal got jacks, fingermark, GT's and various other northern species.
Great trip.
More pics to come.
Attachments
Big Croc.jpg
nice jack.jpg
Grunter.jpg
Sam Jack.jpg
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Re: Port Hinchinbrook

Post by Camel »

Thanks Gary, its about time you put up one of your fishing stories. Some nice fish there pity it was slow for you after travelling all that way. :D
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Post by kickinback »

Thanks for the read Gary. Fishing might have been a bit slow but I'm pretty jealous.
Ol 55
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by Ol 55 »

Here are some more pics, still some more to come,
the rocky formation is in 3rd creek, has is the past let go
of some boulders that have rolled down
and created a narley rock bar.
Ol 55
Attachments
jack.JPG