Jump starter units.

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
kjd
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 223Rem

Jump starter units.

Post by kjd »

I'm thinking of getting one of these 6 in 1 jump starter packs and leaving it on the floor in the back of the dual cab plugged into the charger (so it's on charge every time I drive)

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MB3694
I don't do a lot of 4wdriving and I figure the compressor and the jump starter could be handy without having to worry about a dual battery system's expense or it taking up room in the ute.

Does anyone have any other better suggestions? Perhaps the porta jump and an air compressor?
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Re: Jump starter units.

Post by kickinback »

I have always found that things that do more than one thing tend to do them poorly. I would go the dual battery if it was me.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Honestly, I'd cry once and put a dual battery system in! The compressor in it will be crap for airing up 4 big 4WD tyres and whilst it might give you a jump start when needed, in a 4WD, I'd run a DBC and secondary battery so I didn't need one to begin with!!
mick_762
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 308 Norma

Post by mick_762 »

^^^^^^^ What they said.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I know some people who use these things for hobby purposes. They are ideally suited to that...but perhaps not any serious use.

At the heart of this thing is a 17Ah SLA. Great for medium loads. However, once you hit that inverter you'll find the battery won't last long at all. OK for laptops, phones, and small appliances but that's it. Of course, when using the inverter it hits the battery hard (not good for long life). FWIW a new 17Ah SLA will cost about $75.

The compressor is OK, and about what you'd expect from a cheap compressor. It'd struggle to last beyond one or two 4X4 sized tyres...with plenty of cool down during the 3 hour fill.

Not sure about starting a car from a 17Ah battery....which reminds me of the time I started a car with a 14.4V LiPo battery rated at 4.9Ah. Not recommended as a primary start battery but it'll boost OK.

I don't know what dual battery systems cost, but I'd be looking at a 4X4 compressor off eBay before relying on the above unit. Put the savings towards the battery setup.
Timmo84
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Timmo84 »

I agree with the guys above, spend your money once and do it right the first time.

Tim
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Post by MISSED »

Don't dick about install a dual battery
Jacko9
.204 Ruger
Favourite Cartridge: 6x45

Post by Jacko9 »

Hey Keith,

As others have said, it's worth putting a dual battery in. I have redarc solenoid in mine, it does the job, but if I was to do it again, I'd be going with a C-Tek DC-DC charger, pair it with a Delkor M27 marine battery (same as my secondary battery) its good, buy once cry once.
kickinback
50 BMG

Post by kickinback »

Keith, the components that Jacko has listed are what I run. I am very happy with the setup, especially the facility to plug in a solar panel directly.
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

kickinback wrote:Keith, the components that Jacko has listed are what I run. I am very happy with the setup, especially the facility to plug in a solar panel directly.
Mate, one thing I've read is the DC-DC charger unit, doesn't like heat, and ideally shouldn't be mounted under the bonnet, any truth to that?

I'll be putting one in my new ute, albeit it will be an xr6, but it will still be handy for my fridge when earthmoving.

Keith the beauty about the Delkor M27 Marine battery, is it's a dual purpose battery, it can do the deep cycle operation, but crank as well.
jeffk
22-250 Remington
Favourite Cartridge: 338WM

Post by jeffk »

Jacko9 wrote: Keith the beauty about the Delkor M27 Marine battery, is it's a dual purpose battery, it can do the deep cycle operation, but crank as well.
Yep, I have a pair of Exide hybrids for the same purpose....and a big switch to parallel them (Separate to the DBC for normal control and charging) for when I'm winching.

That, and on-board air with the bigger ARB compressor that also powers the air lockers. You don't want to be finding out you've installed toy crap when you're miles from anywhere, on your own, and in the shit!
Jacko9
.204 Ruger

Post by Jacko9 »

jeffk wrote:
Jacko9 wrote: Keith the beauty about the Delkor M27 Marine battery, is it's a dual purpose battery, it can do the deep cycle operation, but crank as well.
Yep, I have a pair of Exide hybrids for the same purpose....and a big switch to parallel them (Separate to the DBC for normal control and charging) for when I'm winching.

That, and on-board air with the bigger ARB compressor that also powers the air lockers. You don't want to be finding out you've installed toy crap when you're miles from anywhere, on your own, and in the shit!

same as my setup in my hilux mate. :D smart minds think alike, the ARB air compressors are good stuff Keith.
kickinback
50 BMG

Post by kickinback »

Jacko9 wrote:
kickinback wrote:Keith, the components that Jacko has listed are what I run. I am very happy with the setup, especially the facility to plug in a solar panel directly.
Mate, one thing I've read is the DC-DC charger unit, doesn't like heat, and ideally shouldn't be mounted under the bonnet, any truth to that ?
Mine is under the bonnet. No issues so far.
Timmo84
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Timmo84 »

As said the ARB air compressor is very good and the rebuild kit or parts kit is quite cheap if the thing shits itself, which all brands can do.

Tim
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

The small jump start packs are only useful if you need a little extra power for your main battery, never seem them work reliably on a dead flat battery.
Go the dual battery setup and ARB compressor. The compressor you will not wear out with average use, so have forever.
Redarc has been good gear for me.
Bruce