Not a shot fired

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
windknot

Not a shot fired

Post by windknot »

Didn’t really know where to post this up, as it’s not really related to the general topic of the forum, but may interest a few. I’ve just had a week away up in the Snowy region with a good friend fly fishing Lake Eucumbene, early in the trip we hit the fish, which is unusual for us, but not really surprising as this time of the year see’s the brown trout start to head for the top of the Lakes and begin to congregate in preparation of some magical trigger from nature that sends them off up the rivers in huge numbers to spawn.
All the fishing was after dark, kicking off around dusk and going through as long as you could stand the cold, 3am was about as late as we had, and I think midnight was the earliest. Not a lot of sneaking along the banks was called for, we cased the place early the first arvo and had worked out where we could safely wade out into the lake and fish over the drop off and into the submerged river bed, a few sticks etc were placed at the drop off poking out of the water so we didn’t end up stumbling over it in the dark.
All up we had a top week landing and releasing a lot of really nice brown trout with only a few rainbows kept for the smoker. Sort of turned into haze by day 3 or 4, start fishing at dusk go as late as you could, back to camp sleep, rise late, cook a good feed, try and clean and dry gear from the previous night, shower and head to the lake to do it again.

The Chalet

Sample of the fish

Poor old fella, all head and no body mass, nearly be his last run up the river

Dave with a nice fish

Yours truly, in the muck that often became the nightly jelly wrestle as a fish wriggled free of your grip

Dave with a fish he got that will be remembered for a long time

A balmy 6 degrees under the Adaminaby servo roof.....and it’s out of the wind

A true indication as to how cold it really was, unsure what happened first, dropped off or went blue.....

Cheers
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Re: Not a shot fired

Post by kickinback »

Looks like you had a great time. Some really decent fish there aswell.

Thanks for posting, gives me some ideas in regards to holiday destinations.

Glen
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Not a shot fired

Post by GriMo »

Some damn nice fish there. That being said I'm not sure I could handle fishing anywhere that required so many layers of clothing.
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

Nice work!

There are some big brown trout there!

I admire anyone who braves the cold into the early hour's of the morning for there prey!

Very dedicated!

Well done!

Glenn
Space Cadet
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by Space Cadet »

Awesome fish and pics, that place is definitely on the bucket list!
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

brings back memories though never caught anything any where the size of those from the little rivers I fished as a kid in Ireland
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Sounds like you had a fantastic time on the trout - well done mate.