How do you guys rate Mitsubishi Tritons?

Everything that is outdoors and not hunting or shooting. Talk about fishing, 4wd, archery, camping, motorbike riding etc etc.
CZ550
.17 HMR
Favourite Cartridge: .243 Win

Re: How do you guys rate Mitsubishi Tritons?

Post by CZ550 »

Keith,

I have run a few tritons now for work (200,000 km over 2 vehicles, 3 yrs) and have found very few problems with them. They have an excellent motor, very powerful - good for overtaking b-doubles etc. 1st gear in the manual is reasonably low which is what you need if you are planning on using them as intended off road and towing etc. suspension is ok - never run one into the ground to see how it goes long term. Aftermarket upgrades are readilly available if you want. Really good turning circle

issues I have had are:

1st triton, 4th - 3rd synchro gear stuffed up at 15K km - fixed under warranty, no cost
The panels ding easy (as previously noted). The side steps seem to flick every stick you hit into the panels
Mitsubishi servicing is ridiculously expensive!
Stability control is dangerous on dirt roads. The bloody computer thinks it knows how to drive better than you! Not uncommon to be getting a little bit of tail drift arond a cnr and have the brakes come on!
Default setting is traction control on - PITA when you are trying to take off quick, drops all power to avoid wheel spin.

Just my point of view - hope it helps you with your thinking. hiluxes are no longer what they used to be either - plenty of cockies I know are ditching them due to clutch and injector issues $$$$$$

Regards

Cz550
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

How do you guys rate Mitsubishi Tritons?

Post by kickinback »

99.9% of Toyota injector issues are from shit diesel. It's that simple. While you could run the earlier diesels for years on the crap diesel from a farm tank, no new common rail system will tolerate the amount of shit that goes into the tank.

We ran 4 common rail diesel vans for 4 years on Mobil diesel. When 7/11 took over Mobil servos, 3 out of the 4 vans developed issues including one catastrophic failure. It's pretty easy to get shit diesel, even in the city. You get what you pay for.
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

Have to agree with kickin here, I put 5 times the amount of diesel through my truck that my father puts through his. I only fill from a couple of servos unless going out of range and have very few issues he uses cheap diesel and has finally realised that it costs him more in filters and lost time/breakdowns than what my fuel costs, plus pisses me off everytime I have to go rescue him
Dr G
300 Win Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 204 Ruger

Post by Dr G »

Jacko9 wrote:get a cruiser 8)
Yep I agree, I have three, my work ute, my daily driver which is a 100 series and an FJ 45 ute I am restoring. For vehicles that spend a lot of time in the bush with big payloads, like mine,work provides the LC which is good for me. But for the lighter duty stuff or for roles that only go out bush maybe a dozen times a year work provides Hiluxes.

Keith asked about the Triton so I assumed he was after a light duty 4wd ute so offered a light duty alternative.

On the fuel comments I gave my brother in law a hand to swap out his stock fuel tank with a long range tank over Christmas. This vehicle had only done 50,000km but the screen on the pick up was almost completely blocked with shit.

Working were I do I often have to deal with dirty fuel. The new fuel filters on the cruiser ute needs to be replaced every second service due to the amount of crap it is taking out of the fuel. After one tank full bought out our way the engine was being retarded by poor fuel flow after about 200km.

This isn't a Toyota specific problem, you see it in most modern Diesels in the area
Curtley78
Political Advisor/Activist
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm08 AI

Post by Curtley78 »

Just wait until we are completely reliant upon imported fuel. Apparently it is a sub standard grade of fuel and has a shelf life less than existing product.

I can see that we are going to have big problems within the transport industry and supplying fuel to rural and remote areas.
stinkitup
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 6.5x55

Post by stinkitup »

What about a Patrol cab chassis? Or you need the extra seats?

The old mans Patrol has 450+ on it that's a wagon petrol/lpg. Hasn't been babied, been out west sits on 100 on the corrogations many a time. He's picked up another going to do a cut a shut and turn into a ute should be good for spotlighting.

Ryan