Stock style/shape

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: 20-222 6x47 rem, 250

Stock style/shape

Post by Camel »

With my 6BR build, wondering what shape/style of stock to look for, its gunna be a bit of an all rounder, live critter exploding, a bit of spotlight and a bit of playing at this long range BR stuff. I realize there probably isn't any one shape/style that will be the best at all, so some ideas on this would be most helpful, thanks. :D

How close are the Howa 1500 actions to say a Rem 700, small enough difference that I could modify with a full action bedding job ? Hole spacings ?? Thanks. :D
crackers17
.243 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 6mm dasher

Re: Stock style/shape

Post by crackers17 »

What action is it..
McMillan a3 style I like the most..
My t3 dasher came ok for the same sort of shooting
Tony Z
.270 Winchester

Post by Tony Z »

Pro Varmint laminated stock from Boyds Mark. Nice in the field and stable enough for what you want. Virtually impossible to get a dual purpose stock that can be used for 1K BR and clubbing seals over the skull. The Pro Varmint would come close.
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

crackers17 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 6:02 pm What action is it..
McMillan a3 style I like the most..
My t3 dasher came ok for the same sort of shooting
Hooowa 1500, forgot that bit.
Tony Z wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:12 pm Pro Varmint laminated stock from Boyds Mark. Nice in the field and stable enough for what you want. Virtually impossible to get a dual purpose stock that can be used for 1K BR and clubbing seals over the skull. The Pro Varmint would come close.
Yeah, realize its not going to be the ideal for everything, thanks I will have a look at the Boyds.
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Stock style/shape

Post by trevort »

So buy a stock with a 3 inch wide flat fore end for the long range br. You shoot off a door rest anyway. A 3’inch forend works out your Ute window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

That is in my thinking as well thanks Trev. :D Great minds, huh :lol:
trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

Ken noye might be your answer

Camel
Ultimate AusVarminter

Post by Camel »

Looked at this.............https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=151685 and thought, hmmmm that looks like something I could use. :? Hence my question about how close are the Hoowas to the Rem 700 actions :?
Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

If you are going to shoot it out of the car I would not use a 3 inch forend stock!
Been there tried that did not work real well, moving it around the car is just a pain in the arse.
It 's not a BR rifle so I would stay well away fro BR stocks.

A varmint stock can be used out the widow and still be shoot from a rest.

My varmint stocks are 50 to 60mm wide.

Look, or even better try a lot of stock before you decide.

Glenn
B4408
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 20VT

Post by B4408 »

Went through this for mine. Depends on how your shooting and type of rest. Flat bottom forend is for shooting off a flat rest as in bench rest. If you are using out the car window or make shift rest you need a slight curve in the forend bottom shape so it always is supported no matter what the angle or cant on the rifle. Flat bottom in same situation is riding on its edges.
No expert but get a chunk of wood and try it. :) :D

Bruce
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Agree with Glenn and Ruce here. I reckon a 3" flat bottom forend would be a PITA in the ute. Unless you set up your Navara with hydro-variable self levelling suspension to ensure your rest is perfectly level. Yeah, nah.......

So with the long range BR you are stationary. Doesn't matter how much junk you have hanging off the stock? Are there any particular weight limits on the set up? I reckon If you are looking for an all rounder I would be going with a forend design than best caters for your intended field use but with additions can be utilised for the BR work.

Does your field use include the use of a bipod? If you intend to use a Harris or similar then this sets a limit as to the forend width. Harris bipods fit the forend cross section on my Rem varmint perfectly, whereas the two Sako varmints require the use of a wide forend adaptor. While you could use an F-class style bipod that mounts onto a rail inletted into the underside of the forend they usually don't have folding legs so are a pain to manoeuvre in the field or in and out of the ute. Better for setting up in one spot for a while.

So the following assumes the work will be done by RAF industries. For your BR work you could inlet some female threaded thingos (ferrules?) into the underside of the forend that allow you to bolt up a piece of polished alloy C section to provide a straight and level surface to ride your front bag.

For your butt you could create a horizontal bottom edge in a variety of ways your could add wood to the bottom edge, or you could use some alloy of steel to create a horizontal strip. Inlet some threaded ferrules into the end of your butt, then you could either run an L-shaped piece of alloy or steel that forms the butt plate then runs forward under the butt towards the pistol grip. For field use screw this off and bolt up a rubber butt pad.

So there's some ideas for you. Your BR stock might look a bit wild but for a RAF industries Zastava shooter I don't think that would be an issue :lol:

Marcus
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Is it a short or long Howa actio? I assume a short. You thinking thumb hole at all?

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=133861

Marcus
Rabbitz
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: 222

Post by Rabbitz »

For BR use why not have a field stock and add a BR adapter?

Swivel Mount:

https://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting-a ... 35661.aspx

Anschutz type accessory rail:

https://www.sinclairintl.com/shooting-r ... 45123.aspx

trevort
Spud Gun

Post by trevort »

If you are going to shoot it at 1000 and going to borrow a comp rest it’s gonna be set up for a 3 inch forend. Yes you can put an adapter on a standard stock but the butt won’t ride the bags properly.

If you are going
To use it for 1000yds then make it to work at that discipline. Or borrow my rifle and wind me up about beating me with my own gun for years to come and make your 6br just like all your other rifles

Glenn
375 Cheytac
Favourite Cartridge: 300WM

Post by Glenn »

With my 6BR build, wondering what shape/style of stock to look for, its gunna be a bit of an all rounder, live critter exploding, a bit of spotlight and a bit of playing at this long range BR stuff
Trevor, as you can see above he is building an "all rounder" a BR stock is for one purpose.

If you want to use the gun for BR and be competitive have two stocks!

Glenn