.20 Ackley Bee

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
pepperC
Favourite Cartridge: 17 AH

.20 Ackley Bee

Post by pepperC »

Does anybody have a .20 Ackley Bee here in Austarlia???
Leading to, does anybody have a .20 Ackley Bee Reamer here in Australia??
If so, is it 30* or 40* shoulder??
Many thanks in advance for any help.
Cheers
Charlie
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: .20 Ackley Bee

Post by MISSED »

Very interesting cartridge and no I do not know where a reamer is.

But I am interested in what action you intend to use this chambering.
Seddo
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: Creedmoor

Post by Seddo »

I have this print

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

Alot on the saubier forum built 20 Liller Bee's I don't know how its different the Ack Bee but they were all raving about it naybe check on there and ask the question, you may even pick up a reamer

Johno
pepperC

Post by pepperC »

Hey missed,
I have a 218 Bee made on a ruger No 1 so this is most likely what I will build it on?? I do have a Sako L46 in 25/20 in very good condition. I am torn to use this to build on as firstly I will never find another one in as good a nick and secondly feeding out of old magazines with blunt ended Ackley cartridges is an unknown best left to master gunsmiths and retirees with unlimited time! I do like little L46 actions though!
Hey Johnno,
I am under the impression that the Killer Bee is essentially the Ackley Bee with possibly the slightest difference in neck length??? But I am not certain of this, I would guess that you would need a micrometer to tell the difference. I think that some enterprising gun enthusiest in the US branded it as such, maybe calhoon or kindler not sure. I have only seen the barrel logo on the net.
Yep I am sure I will have no problem getting a reamer and dies but just thought if someone here in Oz had one I could help them pay the cost of the set up?? And speed up the time till I pull the trigger!
Regards
Charlie
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

I lust after a Killer Bee built on an 1885 low wall
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

G'day Charlie.

I believe that the Sako L46 in .25-20 is reasonably scarce, and so if yours is in good condition then I wouldn't be tearing it down to make a .20 Ackley Bee. I think you would find collectors here in Aus that would fall over themselves at an opportunity to buy it. Check out the Sako Collectors Club website for more info.

That being said, it is your rifle and you can do whatever takes your fancy. I thing the .20 Ackley Bee would be a great little round in either of your donor actions.

Marcus
johno1
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 5mm rimfire

Post by johno1 »

Charlie if you go to www.saubier.com you don't have to be a member you will see where I asked the question for you and a member has posted a print

Johno
pepperC

Post by pepperC »

Thanks guys much appreciated.
C
pepperC

Post by pepperC »

Thanks Johnno,
I am a member on saubier but thought Id ask here in oz first to see if someone down under had one as I am not super confident as to how to go about ordering dies and reamer let alone dies that will match said reamer! I guess I will have to do a little more research and chase up a set for myself. Seems the consensus is to find a die manufacturer (RCBS etc) and have Pt&G (was this abbreviation right??) make me the reamer to suit. I wasn't really thinking about a killer bee but was looking for old fashioned ackley but as said would have to see if the dies I get are 30* or 40*??? Hmmmm
Missed,
the 1885 action would work too. You don't see too many these days and Ruger No 1 are plentiful. I believe Col Allison has a mashburn bee made on one that shoots one holes everyday of the week? Probably not a lot to split the two other than the date of manufacture making a quality ruger easier to come by?
Brankshunter,
Thanks for the info, I too am a sakocollectors member. I have been admiring your .20/222 L46 build as it progressed. I have a 25/20 and 7x33. Both are beautiful guns and neat in their own right but I am more of a shooter than a collector and appreciate that any gun you have made up will shoot rings around a factory musket (good as those old sakos are!).
Thank you very much everyone I enjoy talking with you guys. I have a 17AH on a zkw that has given me eons of enjoyment playing with. After hearing so many good things about 20AH that others have made I thought id give it a go, then thought id try something a little different hence the 20 ackley bee.
Regards all
Charlie
trevort
Spud Gun
Favourite Cartridge: Tater

Post by trevort »

Whidden make dies from a reamer print but fill your wallet before ordering. Kickinback tried doing a pt&g order for me. Reamers guages and die blanks came to about $450 US. And that was bearable until he went to check out. For those little items postage was $250 US. I contacted them by email to tell them there website postage calculator was broken but no, they were certain it was right. I may have burnt my bridges by suggesting for that cost I wanted personal hand delivery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MISSED

Post by MISSED »

Was that like a sperm bank donation trev :wink:

Charlie if you see an L46 in 22 Hornet think of me please.
Branxhunter
.338 Lapua Magnum
Favourite Cartridge: .20-222

Post by Branxhunter »

Hey Charlie, sounds like you had better come along to the Missethon at Yass next year - you have some nice sounding toys!

Marcus