steel plate

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 17HMR

steel plate

Post by Tackleberry »

now that i have 3 farms that i can shoot out to 1600 yards i got thinking that i need a potable

steel plate that i can move around a bit .

so i came up with this it works for my humble calibers , it's 10mm plate.

and since It's been blowing here all day it got me thinking how am i going to mount this thing in a portable

manner :idea: so after a while i came up with this 8) 2 star pickets .

i also made a picket driver as well so now it only takes 5 mins to set up and 20 mins to get the

pickets out of the ground :lol: :lol: :lol: easy and cheap... :wink:

JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Re: steel plate

Post by JasonF »

Very nice. Is it mild steel? If so the bad news is that just about anything centrefire is going to punch through it. The good news is that it will be easy to weld up the holes. :)
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester

Post by Tackleberry »

JasonF wrote:Very nice. Is it mild steel? If so the bad news is that just about anything centrefire is going to punch through it. The good news is that it will be easy to weld up the holes. :)
no not at all this a 168g burger vld and 5mm mild plate so 10mm will be all good , i used this to try and stop the big dent the 5mm gets

it worked on my short range gong the burgers put a small crater and the amax 162 just blows the paint off .
IMG_2513 (Medium).JPG
Last edited by Tackleberry on Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
JasonF
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 7mm-08

Post by JasonF »

Good to know. Might be to do the with the size of the plate with the large plate allowing more of a flex and dent. On smaller targets I have seen similar bullets punch straight through 8mm mild plate at 500m.

I will have to make up a long range mild steel plate myself.
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester

Post by Tackleberry »

JasonF wrote:Good to know. Might be to do the with the size of the plate with the large plate allowing more of a flex and dent. On smaller targets I have seen similar bullets punch straight through 8mm mild plate at 500m.

I will have to make up a long range mild steel plate myself.
yes 500 is to close this one's for 800 to 1600
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag
Favourite Cartridge: 22.250

Post by bigfellascott »

Looks the go D - should work perfectly for the long range stuff I reckon.
Gnome
.308 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: 375 Cheytac

Post by Gnome »

I like it ...I like it very much :)
Tackleberry wrote: and since It's been blowing here all day it got me thinking how am i going to mount this thing in a portable

manner :idea: so after a while i came up with this 8) 2 star pickets .

i also made a picket driver as well so now it only takes 5 mins to set up and 20 mins to get the

pickets out of the ground
:lol: :lol: :lol: easy and cheap... :wink:

It will take less than that if you have a high lift jack a length of decent chain with solid hooks or similar on it ;)

That or make up a post lifter like the one below
star_post_puller.jpg
DSD
.270 Winchester
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Post by DSD »

In my limited pistol shooting experience, i learnt that your target is considered illegal in this country as it represents a human shape (large torso small head)
Ever wondered why in australian ipsc we only have alpha Charlie and delta with no bravo
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

DSD wrote:In my limited pistol shooting experience, i learnt that your target is considered illegal in this country as it represents a human shape (large torso small head)
Ever wondered why in australian ipsc we only have alpha Charlie and delta with no bravo
http://stsonline.com.au/store/index.php ... duct_id=96
DSD
.270 Winchester

Re: RE: Re: steel plate

Post by DSD »

bigfellascott wrote:
DSD wrote:In my limited pistol shooting experience, i learnt that your target is considered illegal in this country as it represents a human shape (large torso small head)
I can buy an exhaust for my car that is to loud to.
Does not make it legal, but to each there own
big G
7mm08 Rem
Favourite Cartridge: 223 rem

Post by big G »

I could learn something new.
Why the none use of the letters.?
Cheers Bravo India Geronimo G
bigfellascott
7mm Rem Mag

Post by bigfellascott »

DSD wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:
I can buy an exhaust for my car that is to loud to.
Does not make it legal, but to each there own
I was more interested on what was written down the bottom of the page, not the fact ol mate sells em! :lol:
DSD
.270 Winchester

Post by DSD »

big G wrote:I could learn something new.
Why the none use of the letters.?
Cheers Bravo India Geronimo G
Because the centre of the head is an alpha surrounded by bravo on a torso target. Smaller area more risk higher reward. The diamond/shield or whatever you want to call it target we shoot does not have that attached so we do not get bravos.
The Raven
Ultimate AusVarminter
Favourite Cartridge: .270 Win

Post by The Raven »

I thought I heard someone at the Missedathon refer to them as Gas Bottles... It's a gas bottle not a human... I thought that was clever once I realised what they meant (had me stumped why I couldn't see any gas bottles on the range)... :oops:

FWIW I've printed targets with a similar shape but never had the guts to put one up at a range. I figured it was inevitable some overly PC person would get upset.

As for the shape, is it any worse than shooting at any another animal shapes? I've got Rhino targets, would that upset anyone? It's not like I'm going to shoot a Rhino with a 22LR (hopefully!).
Tackleberry
.270 Winchester

Post by Tackleberry »

i shopt IPSC for 2 1/2 years and this was the target i got on my holster quol and in every match i shot
IPSC TARGET.jpg
fuck the PC BS thats the problem with this country and all the shooting orgs they are piss weak they

should be demanding hand gun hunting rights not bending over and begging to put holes in paper :evil: ...

this is exactly why i got out of clubs years ago and still haven't gone to shoot f class ....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------