Dodgy Smiths Pictures

Gunsmithing & DIY forum for everyone. Enjoy!
Post your projects, questions and advice here.
lowndsie
Favourite Cartridge: N/A

Dodgy Smiths Pictures

Post by lowndsie »

I was culling some pictures from the laptop and I came across this one! I can almost laugh about it now and just shake my head. Apparently that's how how you fix a headspace issue! Right till the end he maintained there was nothing wrong with it. There was some other work done to the action which rendered the rifle useless and I did eventually get a replacement.

I'm guessing there's a few stories of home smithing/crap smithing floating around so lets hear a few of them! :D
Attachments
006 (2).jpg
MISSED
Favourite Cartridge: 20 PPC

Re: Dodgy Smiths Pictures

Post by MISSED »

I remember that episode very well incredible
kickinback
50 BMG
Favourite Cartridge: 260 Rem

Dodgy Smiths Pictures

Post by kickinback »

Who was responsible?
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

I don't want to name the guy simply because he did end up replacing the rifle in the end.. I know everyone makes a few mistakes here and there too! Although he did seem to be on a bit of a run with my rifles for some reason. Too much on and not enough time perhaps...

I overlooked some damage that had been done to another rifle too which was a mistake on my part in hindsight. I should have chased that up too.

The worst part was that he told me he was going to re-sell it. I had two other smiths say it couldn't be repaired and it needed to be destroyed. It was doing partial head separations with factory loads at one stage there and another time it wouldn't even chamber a factory load. Yes it had been in and out of his shop for nearly 9 months from memory. I even rang the firearms registry to check if it had been destroyed and they said all they could tell me is that it hadn't.

Ahh bugger it, if your looking at using a smith in the lithgow area you better send me a pm first! :D
GriMo
Site Admin
Favourite Cartridge: 17 rem

Dodgy Smiths Pictures

Post by GriMo »

Looks fine to me, you're just being picky jase
lowndsie

Post by lowndsie »

GriMo wrote:Looks fine to me, you're just being picky jase
I have been known to be a bit picky with these things! :D